MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a single-shot .327 Federal?

Boolit Buddy
    Old Dawg,
    What barrel length do you shoot? How quiet & how hard do you push your loads? I'm wanting a 32 Long or Mag contender barrel. What bore diameter? Looks like this will be a custom job for me. Wanting this for subsonic loads to match the Ruger Six with the Saeco 98 gr SWC.

Contenders are lighter than Encores & for this cartridge it's all that is needed.

Boolit Master
    Where'd you guys find all the blasted Cadets?
    I'd try an aux chamber in a .30-30...I have a Savage 340 that's about to get some aux chambers in .32 ACP and .30 Carbine. With a Handi- or the like and several loaded aux adapters you could have a walkin-around poofer without having to poke the subcal out every shot...recharge them on your sandwich break.

Boolit Master
    I had borrowed my friends mini lathe so I made a chamber adapter for my 30-30 Topper to use with 30 carbine. After testing it I put the adapter away and have not used it again. It worked fine but was pointless I could just load down the 30-30 and get the same ballistics and better accuracy. I guess if I had a pistol in 30 carbine I might use it for the convenience of carrying just one kind of ammo but for what I do, it don't matter but it was a fun project not a complete waste. I could see the point of matching pistol and carbine ammo for a Cowboy but most of us would be better served by a higher powered rifle. I now have pistol in 32-20 that tempts me to make another insert for that but really it is just an excuse to borrow the lathe again.

Tim

Boolit Man
    My gun started as a .22 Hornet and I kept the original 22 inch barrel. Bore is .313.

I also had a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum at the time and I use the SAECO 98 grain SWC mould. WW weigh 104 grains as cast from my mould. I sold the Ruger as I found out I don't care for single action revolvers even though I almost always fire revolvers SA when hunting or plinking. I don't like the SA loading/ejection process. Too much trouble and after firing off a couple cylinders fairly fast the gun became too hot to hold with bare hands. If it had a double action style swing out cylinder with star ejector I would have kept it as it was otherwise a nice gun. I like the long barrels not because of any added velocity, there really isn't much difference with such a small case, but because they are so much quitter. I don't like louder than necessary guns. Heh? What's that you're saying?

3 grains of Red Dot produces about 1200 fps and is very quiet. The muzzle noise is a good impersonation of some air rifles. If there is a sonic crack from the bullet back off until you are satisfied.

Boolit Buddy
    Old Dawg,
    Thanks for the information. May I ask if you are satisfied with the rebore (sounds like you are) and who did it? I hadn't considered this option, but I also don't have a donor.
    Just picked up a 32 Long 10" for the Contender, but it is 0.308". It is on the project list now.
    I've been shooting bullseye for nice plinking loads. Accurate enough in the Ruger for minute of soda can.

Now the cat's meow would be an Enfield or Greener action. BIL has a Greener custom .357 Mag that hits everything you point it at. I have not shot many guns that hung that nicely on target. This one reason I am pursuing the Contender platform - very light and easy to carry.

Boolit Bub
    i'd think the martini cadet would be your best platform. as to length, mine's rechambered to 32 special, and it extracts/ejects them adequately. probably make the local deer population nervous. it's a re-barrel job, or reline at least; the 310 cadet bullet is only 310 at the heel; the working caliber is .323. keep us posted; this sounds like a worthwhile project!
    mind yer topknot!
    windy

Boolit Buddy
    CPA Stevens 44 1/2 would be my vote or an original Stevens 44 1/2.

Boolit Man
    My rebore was done several years ago by Richard Nickel who did several wildcats for me. His work was as good as other reborers I had used and better priced. Unfortunately Nickel has passed on.

I am very pleased with my barrel. I remember Nickel saying the H&R barrel was very easy machining so much so that he discouraged me from having it lapped as it did not need it. Fun gun for squirrels, bunnies, armadillos and such.

Boolit Master

For you Contender fans E. Arthur Brown has both 32 magnum and 32-20 barrels.

http://eabco.com/cntndr01.html
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

MCA says 327 Fed is too hot for an adaptor, I may get one for 32 H&R.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Janoosh View Post
    Isn't the cadet action a bit small for the 327 Fed?. I'm not worried about pressure, I'm asking about case length. I have a problem with extraction with my cadet in 357 mag.
    FWIW, there's plenty of Cadets, that have been chambered to .32 Winchester Special (twice as long as a .357Mag), most w/o issue, but some needing only a bit of trench digging in the breechblock top surface.

Boolit Master
    I wish Rossi would bring back pistol caliber rifles on their original small (.410) action. I only managed to get one before they were discontinued. It would be perfect for small cartridgs such as the .22 Hornet, .327, etc. A light and very handy walking around gun.

I'm quite impressed with the idea of reboring a Contender (or encore or H&R) barrel to .327 (or to .25 for a 25 Hornet). I'm going to call JES up about it.

I picked up a .22 wmr barrel recently that fit a Topper frame that I have perfectly = .22ccm with a slight touch from a reamer. Alternatively, I turn my .22 CCM brass down a bit and just use the wrm chamber.
    Last edited by leftiye; 04-27-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    If you are wanting a cheap rifle to convert, maybe a 340 Savage? Easy to rebarrel, but the bolt face might be an issue. How close is the .327 base to .222/223 ?
    I am haven one made with that same gun and got a barrel for it the gunsmith needed to work on the bolt face like you stated.it will shoot all that I am able to shoot in my Blackhawk 327.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    What about having a Ruger #3 or H&R Handy Rifle in .22 Hornet rebored. Delta Dunsmithing in Washington could probably do it.

Bob

Anyone made any progress on this? I'm thinking about converting an old Martini 303 Brit to a 327 Fed. Just can't make up my mind on which liner to use. Any thoughts??

Roy
    Hooker53

Moderator Emeritus

45,000 psi is the first thing that comes to mind.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Yea 327 is way to hot for a chamber adapter, they generally only make them for the lower pressure rounds. I have 2 for using 7.62x25 in a mosin, couple shots and the pressure bulged them where you have to pound the brass out and the wide spot in the middle is pretty obvious.

H&Rs have jumped in price pretty quick where they are no longer cheap conversions. Last look on ebay and they were getting more for barrels than I can just walk into a pawn shop and buy a whole rifle for. But it would be an easy conversion.

Who makes and or sells a good 30 Luger barrel liner? I saw a listing for a man that has them at one time but can't find him in any of my Info.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master
    TJ'S
    3652 Neltner Rd.
    Alexandria, KY 41001
    859-635-5360
    Mike Sayers

I have used his liners with god results
    I would post his price sheet but mine is too old..call and he will send one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast