Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a single-shot .327 Federal?

Ideas for a single-shot .327 Federal?

A while back, I picked up a S&W 632 in .327 Federal Magnum. After shooting it, I really fell in love with that round. So much so that I would like to buy or build a rifle that will shoot it. A lever gun would be ideal, but that will probably never happen. So I am wondering about the best way to do this. So far, I haven't found anyone who makes a rifle already chambered for .327 Fed.

I've thought about finding a bubba special milsurp, like an Enfield, Argentine Mauser, or 7.7 Jap Arisaka and having the barrel set back & rechambered, since those rifles already have the right bore size. After reading some of the threads here about customizing the H&R single-shot rifles, this may be another possibility.

Have any of you done this? What other options should I look at?

A single shot conversion would certainly be the cheapest option.

I was just working on my Rossi 92 this evening so my first thought was how to convert that gun to .327. I think it's doable but it would require a fair bit of work. Much of it on the bolt which would need to have the face welded up and recut for the smaller rim. The tilting carrier would also need to be padded to sit the round up a little higher and possibly a bushing collar for the magazine to let the rounds slide out a little higher where they enter onto the carrier.

There's no lack of .312 size rifle barrels that could be donors for the cause but finding one with a twist rate that would work well with the small bullets might be tough.

And in fact you're facing the same issue for a barrel stub job to adapt an H&R over to this round as well.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

I've had the same thoughts about the 1892 French 8mm pistol cartridge (it's a .33 Special for lack of better description) that is made from 32-20 cases but so far... eh. Best wishes on getting yours together!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A BSA Cadet Martini would be a suitably strong and elegant rifle to reline to .327 Federal.

The stub shotgun conversion would work if you bushed the firing pin. You could also use a normal. 30 cal. barrel blank. I did this for an H&R barrel John Taylor did for me in. 32 S&W Long.

I prefer the quiet, subsonic, bunny poppers myself, but a .327 chamber with a gradual forcing cone of 3degrees included angle, taken directly from the .335" diameter case mouth, with no cylindrical ball seat, following the form if the .38AMU match chamber, will provide excellent accuracy with H&R Magnum or. 32 S&W Long brass in the longer. 327 chamber.

This concept is already well proven in my .357 Mag. Martini, which shoots .38 Special wadcutter into 1-1/2" groups at 50 yards over long series of 20 or more 5-shot groups.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the Cadet. I have thought about turning one of my Cadets into a 32 H&R mag. Just can't bring myself to do it. Both shoot too well with the 310 Cadet round.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The heeled Cadet bullet also works splendidly in. 32 S&W Long with the 3-degree throat.

If you are wanting a cheap rifle to convert, maybe a 340 Savage? Easy to rebarrel, but the bolt face might be an issue. How close is the .327 base to .222/223 ?
    Cognitive Dissident

I wish H&R would just chamber their Handi in 327 and be done with it. Thirty Two Twenty and 25-20 are two more that would move quick

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    If you are wanting a cheap rifle to convert, maybe a 340 Savage? Easy to rebarrel, but the bolt face might be an issue. How close is the .327 base to .222/223 ?
    .327 Federal is .375 at the rim, .223 is .378, so a rifle with a .223 bolt face could be a good starting point. I know they both use the same shell holder on my reloading press.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    I wish H&R would just chamber their Handi in 327 and be done with it. Thirty Two Twenty and 25-20 are two more that would move quick
    H&R or Rossi, I would take either one.

Boolit Master
    If I wanted a 327 in a single shot I would look at the T/C Contender or Encore. Then contact MGM and have a barrel made to order........Terry

MGM for a 'Tender barrel would be the fast and easy route.

Lee Enfield is the way to go, also very easy to feed in the short cases like 327 or 32-20 because the chamber is right there, not like a mauser type action.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

A recent thread featured a guy who converted a Rossi 92 to 7.62x25 Tokarev, so conversions can be done. The .327 being rimmed should simplify it. But you're still paying for a barrel AND a lot of smithing on the action. Apparently it is not a painless process, and no off the shelf parts.

Single shot . . . a Baby Rolling Block?

Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone tried a cartridge adapter for 32 H&R in 30-30 or 308? I don't know if the extra length will clear or how the throat is finished.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Has anyone tried a cartridge adapter for 32 H&R in 30-30 or 308? I don't know if the extra length will clear or how the throat is finished.
    I've got an adapter for shooting .32 ACP in a .303 British chamber that I have been thinking about having rechambered to .327 Federal. Maybe this would be a good way to try it out before dropping a lot of money on an entire rifle?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    MGM for a 'Tender barrel would be the fast and easy route.
    yep
    no gunsmithing plug an play

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    To bad you couldn't talk CZ into testing the market with a 527 bolt action or even that neat little .410 double frame they have . The last time I talked to Savage on the phone they thought I was nuts for wanting a 219 built right and returned to the market place . Of course he was polite and didn't say I was nuts while I was on the phone with him .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Isn't the cadet action a bit small for the 327 Fed?. I'm not worried about pressure, I'm asking about case length. I have a problem with extraction with my cadet in 357 mag.

Boolit Man
    I have an H&R single-shot that I had rebored to .32 H&R Magnum when it first came out. I prefer single shots for this kind of thing as there is no hassle with magazine compatibility, COL, bullet shape, etc. I thought about rechambering it to .327 but passed as I use it mostly for small game and the 32 H&R has plenty of power and range without tearing everything up. Sometimes enough is enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast