Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideas for a single-shot .327 Federal?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    If I wanted a 327 in a single shot I would look at the T/C Contender or Encore. Then contact MGM and have a barrel made to order........Terry
    I would use the Contender. It is slimmer. Get a 18 to 20 inch bbl. You will love it.

There are several sources for custom barrels.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Thanks 4060. I will give him a call.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Contender 7.62x25 from PacNor. Highly recommend them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Lee Enfield is the way to go, also very easy to feed in the short cases like 327 or 32-20 because the chamber is right there, not like a mauser type action.
    When they built the de Lisle .45 ACP conversion in wartime, with a barrel of about twelve inches inside a full length suppressor, they also had a shortened bolt and the barrel extended into the bolt way, which I believe was enlarged. The magazine, probably a standard 1911 one, came at the rear of the normal magazine well.

Boolit Grand Master

The max. mean allowable pressure for the 327 is 48,500 psi. With the small case head it should be ok in a Contender.
    I would look for something other than and Arg. Mauser or a 7.7 Arisaka. My experience with these, along with the Mosin Nagant is the majority of the bores are .314" or so.

I have an almost new small ring Mauser 7.62 X 39 barrel that is .310" that I am not using. Might make a good project to install it on an old single shot shotgun like and H&R.

Banned
    Well that's just great...
    Now I am looking at savage 340's as an option.
    After nosing around here and on a couple other sites, seems there are a lot of options to creating a 327 rifle.
    I am doomed....
    Or at least my pocket book is in danger.
    But someone is going to make me a 327 rifle in the near future.

Boolit Master

I considered rebarreling a cz 527 in 223 or 204 to 327. Luckily I got out of the 327/32 game when I sold my S7 and Marlin 1894 cowboy 32. Wheh!!!! Dodged that bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wheelgun View Post
    I've got an adapter for shooting .32 ACP in a .303 British chamber that I have been thinking about having rechambered to .327 Federal. Maybe this would be a good way to try it out before dropping a lot of money on an entire rifle?
    You might consider using the .303/.32 adapter as a model and machine a new .303/.327 adapter. save your present adapter and I don't think the machin shop time would be too bad.

Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master
    Henry Rifles makes a nice lever gun in 327. If you want a single shot, I’m thinking a high wall, custom barreled and chambered, would be my suggestion, or to go really cool and if money were no object I’d have a Ruger #3 Carbine custom barreled and chambered... that would make Bill Ruger proud!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    You might consider using the .303/.32 adapter as a model and machine a new .303/.327 adapter. save your present adapter and I don't think the machin shop time would be too bad.

Chev. William
    I don't think this would play well in the. .327 with full-charge loads. The. .32 H&R Mag. Works fine, but 7.62x25 bulges the adapter r and seizes it in the chamber.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

1 vote for a nice Stevens 44 1/2. Easy to rebarrel because it is a takedown design which doesn't need special tools to remove the barrel.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    CPA does make modern reproductions of the 44-1/2 action and rifle.

Chev. William

Wow, I’m surprised to see this thread pop up again. I love all the ideas that have come up here.

I never did get to build my .327 rifle, had a bad case of ‘Real Life’ interfere with my plans.

I did recently acquire a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39, partially with the intention of trying some .327 fed or .32 H&R equivalent loads in it, since it is a much smaller case than my .303 British rifles. Any load suggestions to start with?

I’m also working on an idea to put iron sights on that rifle without having to have a gunsmith drill & tap the barrel. I’ll post about that when I have something going on it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wheelgun View Post
    Wow, I’m surprised to see this thread pop up again. I love all the ideas that have come up here.

I never did get to build my .327 rifle, had a bad case of ‘Real Life’ interfere with my plans.

I did recently acquire a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39, partially with the intention of trying some .327 fed or .32 H&R equivalent loads in it, since it is a much smaller case than my .303 British rifles. Any load suggestions to start with?

I’m also working on an idea to put iron sights on that rifle without having to have a gunsmith drill & tap the barrel. I’ll post about that when I have something going on it.
    Good luck, I believe the only compelling reason for a 327 rifle is as a companion gun to a revolver. Far too many cartridges can be downloaded to match it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Good luck, I believe the only compelling reason for a 327 rifle is as a companion gun to a revolver. Far too many cartridges can be downloaded to match it.
    That’s exactly why I originally started this thread, because I wanted a companion to my revolver. I may still do this, as I now have two revolvers in that chambering.

As I stated previously, I bought the Ruger in 7.62x39 in part to try downloading to .32 H&R or .327 FM equivalent loads..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I am not sure compelling is the right word but a light handy carbine in something with more punch than .22 lr or even .22 mag is attractive. A Uberti Baby Rolling block in .357 Mag. would answer the mail for me but I don't own any .327 guns. I have a Ruger#3 in .22 Hornet but it is a much bigger action than is needed.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123