Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anybody interested in a brass 453423?

Anybody interested in a brass 453423?

I am! Perfectly it would be a 4cav Miha with the hollowpoint option for a smith 625. Anybody else feelin' this? We could do a 452 or 454 if that gets it going.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by .45Cole View Post
    Perfectly it would be a 4cav Miha with the hollowpoint option for a smith 625
    MiHec has already did this as an early run. Since he has the cherry, it should be relatively easy to do. If enough interest happens, I'll put it up again as a rerun GB...............

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in, .454

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    MiHec has already did this as an early run. Since he has the cherry, it should be relatively easy to do. If enough interest happens, I'll put it up again as a rerun GB...............

Boolit Master

You're reading my mind (almost).

I'm not really interested in a hollowpoint version (figuring that a .45 with a .34 caliber meplat is pre-expanded) but would definitely be interested in a faithful clone of the Keith ACP/AR slug that drops a solid at a tad over .453 at the regulation 238-ish grains. If he can run a four or five hole solid to that spec, I'm absolutely IN! If a hollowpoint option is the only way to play, I may grudgingly go along.

I've had an unhealthy obsession with this design ever since reading about it in the Fryxell sticky over a year ago. The two-hole Lyman with the round lube groove I acquired got my interest going, but was disappointing in that it dropped at over 250 grains. As I plan to shoot it primarily in autos, this wasn't particularly acceptable.

The LACK of this design is frustrating, so by all means let's get a run going!

EDIT TO ADD: 45 2.1 - since this will likely be going off a set of pre-exisiting specs, could you enlighten us as to what those are (blueprints, weights etc...)? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Bigslug; 02-01-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

i would love a solid version.
    i have a little obsession with 45 auto rim. i would really love a bullet just for this cartridge.

If you haven't had had a Miha mold, the pins are reversible. I would really like a 4 cav mold. Maybe one with 2 HP options and two solid cavities?

Original GB:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=mihec+454423

Boolit Master

i've cast some with the pins reversed on my 454-200 and i'm not a fan of it. the bullets don't drop as well with the pin in the way.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I just got a SC 452423 last week, and if it's the same one.... I'm for it! I like this one, but could really use more cavs.
    Sign me up!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

I've got an MP HB mold for a Webley, so I know what they're about. Sexy, but for this application, I'd prefer not to deal with heating up dissimilar metals of pins I wouldn't use. Still, if HP is the Will of the People, I'd rather all four cavities be the same. The real question would be what goes on with Miha's manufacturing process. If his HP's start life as solid molds that have extra steps performed on them, he can simply stop short of "done" for those of us wanting solids.

One thing needing clarification - In original Ideal/Lyman terms, I am specifically after the shorter-nosed, lighter weight, 1911-friendly 452423. If we're talking about the longer, heavier 454423 - as it appears we are - I will have to pass. EDIT: I think I may be confusing 454423 (which I'm guessing is a official, non-post-Lyman, custom maker fabrication for additional diamter) with 454424 (the 260 grain .45 Colt mold). I'll go beat my head against a wall now.

I'd like to know what the departures are with 45 2.1's version from the original, as the extra weight is giving me pause. Anybody got an old square groove Lyman 452423, HG502, or Ballisticast 1102 we can get some castings from?

Just what are we dealing with here?
    Last edited by Bigslug; 02-02-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Cranial flatulence
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Master
    I'd be in for a 4 cavity with reversible pins .453 or .454 would work!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master

yeah i'm down for the 452423 not the 454424 (or 452424 later right?)
    i would love to be able to run this at moderate velocities in my 1911 or full out in my 625. if i buy this mold i'll probably have the 625 chambered for 460 rowland just to make better use of the heavy weight.
    or just load the auto rim hot as hell. ; )

damn now i'm excited about this mold

Boolit Master

Last post edited due to pre-senior moment.
    WWJMBD?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    [B]One thing needing clarification - In original Ideal/Lyman terms, I am specifically after the shorter-nosed, lighter weight, 1911-friendly 452423.

I'd like to know what the departures are with 45 2.1's version from the original, as the extra weight is giving me pause. Anybody got an old square groove Lyman 452423, HG502, or Ballisticast 1102 we can get some castings from?

Just what are we dealing with here?
    We are dealing with a modified version of the 452423........... something closer to the original than what Lyman put out in our lifetimes. This one came from an original Ideal square groove two cavity mold of mine. As far as weight differences... THAT COMES FROM everyone's choice of alloy.... some 7 gr. difference is possible usually. The HP choices help some there.............

Boolit Master
    This is the 45 2.1 design :

To me it is perfect for .45 AutoRim !

I also have the early brass MP run of this same design. The pins on that run were not quit "right" so the nose ended up with a circular ridge around the HP !

I will take some photos of the MP and Ballisti-Cast #1102 !

I would be interested in a 4-cavity solid in this new run.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by .45Cole View Post
    I am! Perfectly it would be a 4cav Miha with the hollowpoint option for a smith 625. Anybody else feelin' this? We could do a 452 or 454 if that gets it going.
    I also would like it for my acp revolvers. Would like .454 solid at the 238gr mentioned & with HP.

Also a light 45 colt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    We are dealing with a modified version of the 452423........... something closer to the original than what Lyman put out in our lifetimes. This one came from an original Ideal square groove two cavity mold of mine. As far as weight differences... THAT COMES FROM everyone's choice of alloy.... some 7 gr. difference is possible usually. The HP choices help some there.............
    THANK YOU for both the honchoing and the wide variety of weight control options over and above alloy changes. The solid, cup HP and large HP combo will cover all my concerns and uses. I have committed! Now for my wife to have me committed. . .
    WWJMBD?