Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Trouble pushing wadcutters through

Boolit Bub

Trouble pushing wadcutters through

I cast my first batch of RCBS 148 grain full wadcutters about a month ago. Today I started playing around with them in my star sizer I aquired some time ago. Seems the wadcutters drop a bit too big from the mold (don't ask me the diameter, all this stuff is at my work and I forgot the measure before I left). There's not enough leverage with the sizer to push these through. They get jammed up. I took out the die with two stuck inside and tapped them through with a brass rod and hammer. They sized out perfectly at .358. Oh yeah, I pre-greased these before I started as I anticipated some resistance since there is no lube currently in the sizer. Alloy is one half wheel weights one half pure lead.

So what the heck? Is my mold to blame? Am I casting too cool?

Boolit Master

Are you loobing and sizing in the same stroke? I occasionally rub a little loobe on the first few boolits, but it is not a regular practice. If you die is dropping the right size, maybe your mould is not. The Star is a sturdy tool but my FiL bent the handle and ovaled the socket in his. there is some discussion about nose first vs base first sizing, I use the base first technique.

You need to measure the before and after sizes of your boolits and probably should loob and size in one operation.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Banned
    Why is there no lube in the sizer?

Boolit Bub
    No lube in the sizer because, as I mentioned, I'm just messing about right now. I'm working on a suitable lube recipe concurrent to getting everything else in order. I can assure you lube would have made no difference-everything was well greased.

Boolit Grand Master
    A Star doesn't like sizing down bullets a bunch. I figure .002 is all the more I want to size a bullet down in mine.
    I runs sized and lubed bullet thru every 20 or so bullets, keeps things running smooth.

I bet your bullets are enough bigger than the sizing diameter and are hard enough to make for stubborn sizing. Water dropping makes this far worse unless you size pretty soon after casting.

When I need to size down a bunch I always turn to a Lee push thru! I know I won't hurt my press.

Boolit Master
    As with btroj I also use a LEE push-thru sizer before my Star if more than 0.002-0.003" removal is required.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

As already stated, your problem is trying to size dry bullets in an empty machine with low leverage.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    As already stated, your problem is trying to size dry bullets in an empty machine with low leverage.
    Bullets far from dry. Die and bullets heavily greased. I suppose leverage is relative, certainly the star having less than a rockchucker.

Good idea on the lee sizer, thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Greased with what? Needs to be a good high pressure lubricant. Lanolin would be good.

Did you water drop those bullets? And how big are they before sizing?

Using a Star for heavy duty sizing is a good way to break something.

Boolit Bub
    OK, these bullets mic out at .357-.360 (depending on measurement site- they are out of round) on bases and .358-.360 at nose using reputable micrometer. Tryng to push through a die that will just pass a .356+ pin guage. With springback, this equals a .358 sized piece of lead. I guess this is pushing the limits of the Star. I used liberal amounts of lithium grease on this explorartory mission.

Bullets were not water dropped. BNH = 12.5

Boolit Grand Master
    I have sized .45 caliber boolits designed for 45/70 down from .460" to .452" in my Star. I should state that it's probably not a good idea, but it can be done. Some years ago I broke the handle off of one of my Lyman 450's sizing 500 grain 45/70 boolits cast of linotype, so I should know better

As has already been noted, it's best to lube every boolit if they start "resisting", or presize with a push through die. Star machines can be very expensive to repair.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

bhn22
    The only difficulty I've ever had was with really long, hard bullets. Wadcutters sort of qualify because of the surface area involved, but I've never had a wadcutter get sticky on me. Sizing a .360 wadcutter to .356 (9mm?) should be doable, I've done worse. One piece of advice, quit messing with lithium grease and put bullet lube on the machine and try it under actual operating conditions. Then you'll have actual facts to work with. Also, actual bullet lube has better lubricating properties than lithium alone. I'm assuming you're using grease gun lithium, and not white lithium.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm going to put in a proper bullet lube and try that before I report back.

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard people say to size them quicker before the lead hardens, I've sized old casts through the lyman with no issues, I want a star one day tho.. Maybe try with the lube to help lube the die some? Just guessing I've never ran one dry.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Master
    Having used a Star for years I an tell ya right now your boolits are to big to go through the Star.

No more that .002 over sizer size is what ya need! I have had molds cast 38 boolits at .362, nice for my 38 S&W not so much form my Police Positive in 38 special Had a second die made and I run these through in "steps" pending which gun gets what.

If your boolits are oversized more than the .002 I mentioned your just beating yourself and your sizer up for no reason.

Boolit Buddy

HeavyMetal, I haven't had to size more than .002 yet, is it just best practice to run it though twice with different dies ie .464 then .462?

Boolit Master
    I size this 45/70 bullet down for my .45 Colt carbine using a couple LEE dies on a heavy Pacific Delux Pro then final 0.001" sizing+ lube on a STAR. It is slow but Bruce made a GREAT very round bullet to work with !

No stress on the STAR !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    Kayak1
    I just figure it must be easier on the sizer because it is easier on my arm, LOL!

The logic here is it reduces stress on the sizer parts and the boolits which helps with accuracy.

In the end it is all about what you want to shoot and how well you fell the need for "fit".

The proof of all this is, of course, on the target.