Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Care and feeding of 54cal Flintlock...

Care and feeding of 54cal Flintlock...

I just got a older 54cal Flintlock rifle with a 41 1/4 in long barrel. The only marks I could find are on the lock its marked D (B) on the inside of the lock. No marks on the barrel, stock are anywhere else that I could find.

Anyone have a idea how to care and feed one of these things?

Tim

P.S. Any help would be welcome as I'm new to flintlocks.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Figure out what your twist is, and we will start from there.

Tim
    i started shooting b.p with a 50 flint here is what i have learn with flint you MUST REPEAT MUST USE BLACKPOWDER NO SUBS in 54 use 2f (FF)FOR THE LOAD but you need 4f(FFFF)for priming the next thing you have to decide is round ball or maxie ball ,or one of the bullets
    if you use r.b you need patchingthe thickness of patch is 10 thousands to 15 thousands
    the first thing you have to get over is the flash pan what6 i did was load the pan only and fired it several times till i got used to the flashafter that it was a cake walk i just loaded it up with a mild load 60 gr 2f and a 490 thousands r.b. and touch her off right then i was hooked
    blackpowder is habit froming so watch it if you fire 40 shots in a day you have put in a hard day I ALMOST FORGOT I WOULD HAVE THAT FLINT CHECK OOUT BY A GOOD BLACKPOWDER GUNSMITH TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE any other questions e mail me

tom

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Tim:

To what Testhop said, I would add: DON'T fill the pan completely full with priming powder, but only just up to the middle of the touch-hole. (Hard to believe, but it takes noticeable time for the powder in a full pan to burn down to the hole.) While good flints are precious, the sawn agate ones from Thompson-Center work well enough. Clamp them in a fold of leather (or a hammered out oval of lead) and not directly in the metal jaws of the cock. Experiment as to whether bevel-up or -down gives the best spark. Etc., etc. I learned all this on my own fifty-plus years back; today, you'll get all the advice you can stand from the gang here.

I WOULD recommend - in addition to having the lock checked out - removing the barrel and checking the breech-plug for tightness and rust, running a tight shotgun swab down the barrel to check for rough spots, and maybe getting one of those little reflectors you can find at" Track of the Wolf" to drop down to the breech and use a penlight to examine the bore and rifling. In fact, get the Track of the Wolf catalog and read through it for general advice and ideas. The Dixie Gun Works catalog is another good source of info and "stuff". Best of all, find an experienced F/L-er to walk you through the whole thing - it's a very "friendly" sport!

My, how I DO run on....

floodgate

Quote Originally Posted by floodgate View Post
    you'll get all the advice you can stand from the gang here.

I think Floodgate is putting too much powder in the pan. Just a dab works best for me, significantly less than 1/4 the volume of the pan. Place it on the outside edge of the pan.

I use FFFg in both the rifle and in the pan.

Success with a flintlock is all about good technique (loading, priming, orienting flint properly in jaws, knapping edge of flint, cleaning the rifle, etc). You have to take the time to get to know the rifle and how it likes to be treated.

-ktw

I have to agree with KTW, been shootin' black powder over 50 years.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Banned

I agree too, never fill to the touch hole.
    There is one thing that will drive a guy nuts when it is wet outside. Water will run down the barrel channel and into the back of the lock. It will soak the powder in the pan even if you keep the lock covered. I take good paste wax and wax the barrel. Then I gob a bunch into the barrel channel and seat the barrel into it. Wipe off excess and rub it into the rest of the stock. Wax is better then oil in the rain or snow.
    Moisture along the barrel is the quickest way to ruin pan powder. Black powder will absorb moisture anyway but why feed it water? A good thing to do is to check the pan often and change the powder if damp. This is another bad reason to fill the pan too full because it will wick moisure into the touch hole.
    You want the flash from the powder surface to enter the touch hole, not burn down to the hole first. You never want pan powder to enter the hole either. Keep the hole open. A good, tuned flinter will fire as fast as a percussion.
    Buy REAL flints from Track of the Wolf! Cut stone is junk. OK if it is real cut flint, but most stone is not as hard and can't cut steel like flint. It also breaks and can't be sharpened again. When real flint breaks, it makes more sharp edges. The stone must cut steel from the frizzen, those are the sparks, not from the stone! The frizzen must be hard or the steel particles cut off will not get hot.
    Once you get it working you will love it. Just accept the lost deer once in a while when it doesn't go off. Proper planning will cut those events way down though.
    The flinter will make you a better shooter with any other gun. It is so good at it that I think every beginner should start with one.

well said 44man

TTC

Question

Not to hijack two worms' thread, but I too just purchased a used Dixie Arms Tennessee .50cal. flintlock (made in Japan possibly by Miroku) and have some questions about priming powder. I have several pounds of FFFg, but no FFFFg (My other BP rifles are caplocks.) Are you sure I can use FFFg to prime the pan?

Btw, other than a filthy bbl. (41") and dirty lock, the piece is in great shape. After an hour's scrubbing, both are clean and just about ready to use whenever the weather cooperates.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Take it from a real BEGINNER, you NEED 4F for priming. 3F was very temperamental at best. Usually it would not go off as expected, and most especially with humidity high. ... felix
    felix

Not to be contradicting Felix, but I HAVE primed quite successfully with Fg. Of course that was in my wife's original India Pattern "Brown Bess", with its humongous pan, and that was how it was supposed to be done: tear a corner off the paper cartridge, dribble a bit of the main charge into the pan, dump the rest down the barrel, wad the remaining paper around the ball and slam it home with the heavy iron ramrod. Not that I'd shoot my .40 cal. "Kaintuck" that way....

Muzzle-loaders - and especially flinters - are just like moulds: each one has its own "likes", "dislikes", and "days off" when nothing wants to work. That's a big part of their charm.

floodgate

My understanding is, too much powder is the biggest culprit, not powder granulation. You want fire to hit and go through the flash hole, not a powder fuse.
    Now I'm no expert, I just got my GPR, and have only taken it out a couple of times. I'm using 4F, only because I had a pound of it sitting on the shelf. Some of my buddies swear that 3F will be just as fast, if the flash hole is the right size, and not covered with powder.

Just what I've heard.
    R.M.

make your own priming powder,use two spoons , put powder in one and use the other to grind it up real fine. also can use a mortor and pestle if you have one. been doing this for years, always worked well for myself.

TTC

i have been useing a man made flint called DURA FLINTS from ELKK ENTERPRISES
    IT has a 5 year warranty and IF thay get dull you can resharpen them with a dimond file or a dimond stone abnd keep on shooting
    i bought 20 of them some i gaved to freinds but i kept enought to last me a lifetime when i go blackpowder hunting dura flints are in my gun i just called and got some sex line so i dont know if thay are still in orapation here is the address ELKK ENTERPRISES-DURAFLINT
    PO BOX51321
    OXNARD CA 93031
    phon#8007962762
    but like i said the phone sounds like a sex line

tom

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

twotoescharlie:

I had to do that to get the powder fine enough for the tiny pan on my 19th-Century Japanese "Tanegashima" matchlock. It worked just fine, but that combination of a pistol sized butt and a heavy 40" barrel made it very hard to handle. I always giggle at that scene in Akira Kurosawa's "Kagemusha", where the assassin props up his matchlock on a series of blocks, aimed chest high at the door his victim is to pass through that night, then touches it off after dark and nails him cold.

Hard to believe, but 17th-Century Japan had more troops bearing firearms than all of Europe; then they outlawed them and made the sword (and the Samurai) the mystical weapon of the Shogunate.

floodgate

Well, I pretty much agree with KTW and floodgate and I don't fill the pan either, but worrying about what certain position of the pan the powder is located in is not practicle. I hunt with mine and carry it in the woods, and you know what, the powder moves around in the pan, specifically if it isn't "full". If the geometry of the touch hole to pan is correct, it SHOULD set the charge off no matter where the powder is located in the pan so long as it's dry. And to be sure, so long as mine is not filled to the touchhole, it sets the rifle off instantly. Just click on the picture.. Amount of powder in pan was not fussed over.......
    Tell me how long the delay is with this rifle (daughter on the trigger):

She says "it hurt", but that was because she crept up on the site, and an ember touched her cheek. she shot it again at correct stock weld and did fine..

Now the daughters boyfriend shooting (he has a touch more powder in his charge)

They are a hoot to shoot, and mine brings home meat every year!
    "So how many Divisions does this Pope have?".. Joseph Stalin

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it.
    Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by piwo View Post
    ...worrying about what certain position of the pan the powder is located in is not practicle. I hunt with mine and carry it in the woods, and you know what, the powder moves around in the pan, specifically if it isn't "full". If the geometry of the touch hole to pan is correct, it SHOULD set the charge off no matter where the powder is located in the pan so long as it's dry.
    I agree with the practicality comment, but I find lock time to be a bit quicker on the range if the prime is located outboard in the pan.

As long as the pan is dry this is not difficult to maintain in the field by slightly rotating the rifle to the right (lock toward the ground) and tapping the butt or left side plate.

I have never had a problem using FFFg in the pan. I also don't think it turns to mud in the pan during wet or humid weather as fast as FFFFg does.

-ktw
    Last edited by ktw; 12-18-2007 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks to all who posted. :)

I have been working on the rifle, cleaning learning how to work the flint. I have FF BP and have not come up with FFFF just yet. The barrel cleaned up real nice, just a little rough where the guy had left a blank loaded in the rifle for who knows how long. I can load a patch and ball all the way down to the flash hole with ease.

I feel it should be a shooter, if I can just get out and try it.

Question, could I take some FFF and make FFFF with it. I was thinking I could rub it between to wooded blocks until it got a little finer than FFF?

Bad idea or not?

Tim

Just use the 3F, it'll be fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by twoworms View Post

Question, could I take some FFF and make FFFF with it. I was thinking I could rub it between to wooded blocks until it got a little finer than FFF?

Bad idea or not?

Tim

Sure you can grind the stuff finer.

A ceramic grinder used to be sold for the purpose.

Have you tried fffg as priming? If it works it will save you a bit of work.

As for the amount and location of the prime, I use about 1/4 of the pan and like mentioned by ktw I keep it outboard of the pan. A quick slap while shouldering it seems to do the trick.

Keeping your flint sharp and the face of the frizzen clean for each shot will also help.

Properly tuned a flint is as fast as any other ignition, and like any other ignition proper technique (breathe, squeeze, follow through, etc) all count toward accuracy.

Good luck
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast