Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite spam recipes - victory buns

In Remembrance

At a BBQ at a friends house he put slices of SPAM that were about 1/2" thick on the grill while the steaks were cooking. He didn`t leave the side cooking on the heat for more than a minute or so before flipping to the other side. I would not have believed that this was the stuff that came out of a can? You really need to try this simple way of eating SPAM to understand why I like it.Robert

Boolit Master
    Favorite and spam is an oxymoron .

Boolit Grand Master

I have less than fond memories of both Spam and Treet from childhood. Both were poor mans substitutes for real meat.

I eat spam and have since I was a small boy. However, there is no way I can stomach a bite of "potted meat".....

bhn22
    You guys had it easy. One of our staples as a kid was "ham salad". Mom would buy a few pounds of bologna, grind it up, and mix it with "Spin Blend" salad dressing. That would be all we had to eat for a week at times. On the bright side, it was always on home made bread because bread at that time was up to a quarter a loaf, that we could bake three loaves for that. This was in the '60s, not the '30s. Mom used to tell us about life during the great depression, and it made the '60s tame in comparison. I shake my head in amazement when todays people whine about how tough life is. Our idea of a treat was a case of Coke. Sometimes we'd get one a week, usually it was two weeks. Sometimes it was one a month. We never took welfare though, I don't know if it even existed back then.

In Remembrance

I used to eat potted meat for a lunch sandwich until I read the label while chewing a bite one day. Made it hard to swallow it. Beef lips, pork snouts, stomachs, etc. GAG! (Circa 1971)

bhn22
    At least they were honest! Nowdays it would simply say 100% Beef & Pork, no fillers!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    You guys had it easy. One of our staples as a kid was "ham salad". Mom would buy a few pounds of bologna, grind it up, and mix it with "Spin Blend" salad dressing. That would be all we had to eat for a week at times. On the bright side, it was always on home made bread because bread at that time was up to a quarter a loaf, that we could bake three loaves for that. This was in the '60s, not the '30s. Mom used to tell us about life during the great depression, and it made the '60s tame in comparison. I shake my head in amazement when todays people whine about how tough life is. Our idea of a treat was a case of Coke. Sometimes we'd get one a week, usually it was two weeks. Sometimes it was one a month. We never took welfare though, I don't know if it even existed back then.
    How true. The number and level of whining and whiner's is amazing. We was dirt poor, but mamma made sure we were clean and fed . Our rules were simple you don't lie, cheat or steal. You worked for what you wanted and ate what she put on your plate. I now realize how much my parents sacrificed for us, but they loved us and raised us right. I guess thats why I enjoy Spam and other meat like products in cans....brings back fond memories.

Just tried BACON Spam....tasty. How to improve Spam? add bacon...it are good!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

slice
    fry
    put on bread
    slather in mustard
    eat

repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    slice
    fry
    put on bread
    slather in mustard
    eat

repeat
    That's exactly what I had for lunch! Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I like spam. grew up on it.
    Eat it at least three times a week or more.
    Spam mac and cheese is great.
    Of course being in Hawaii, spam musubi is always good for a quick bite.
    I don't know anyone in Hawaii who dosen't eat spam. But I'm sure there must be at least one.
    likewise, i grew up in hawaii. spam musubi is one of those favorites i still make many years after leaving.

we used to stop by safeway on the way to the bus stop after school and pick them up as an after school snack. i miss food from back home lau lau and manapua.. sigh, gotta try to stay on topic here heh

Boolit Buddy
    I did pick up the taste for Korean Kimbap made with Spam and American Cheese.

Interesting that their taste for that came from American GI rations in the Korean War.

Rice, (Sesame Roasted) Seaweed, Spam and Cheese is a lot better than it sounds and is probably my "favorite" Spam recipe...

Moderator Emeritus

Yup poor, but we ate okay, had clean clothes even if they were hand me downs. Only thing tht was disgusting was my grandmother on my mom's side hamburger gravy, boil a gallon of water, wave a 1/4 pound of hamburger over it, thicken with something, serve on lumpy mashed potatoes... to this day I cannot eat hamburger gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    How true. The number and level of whining and whiner's is amazing. We was dirt poor, but mamma made sure we were clean and fed . Our rules were simple you don't lie, cheat or steal. You worked for what you wanted and ate what she put on your plate. I now realize how much my parents sacrificed for us, but they loved us and raised us right. I guess thats why I enjoy Spam and other meat like products in cans....brings back fond memories.

Just tried BACON Spam....tasty. How to improve Spam? add bacon...it are good!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    likewise, i grew up in hawaii. spam musubi is one of those favorites i still make many years after leaving.

we used to stop by safeway on the way to the bus stop after school and pick them up as an after school snack. i miss food from back home lau lau and manapua.. sigh, gotta try to stay on topic here heh
    Smokesahoy,
    Okay...I'm game. Lets see that recipe for Spam Musubi. Authentic home cooked Hawaiian sounds like a winner...I want to try it but have no idea what musubi is about.

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    It occurred to me that Hawaiian word Musubi is very similar to the Korean word for Spam Kimbap that I mentioned.

And in fact it certainly appears that the two are VERY similar. Hawaiian Musubi is made in a different style than the Korean rolled Kimbap.. but taste wise has to be almost exactly the same. So I'll second that even though Spam, Spam and Cheese, and Spam and Egg Sushi (which is kinda really what both are) doesn't sound good, it really is quite nice! It's probably the result of a happy accident of having a big population of Japanese in Hawaii that tried the "GI ration meat" Sushi.

Whether this is because the Japanese came up with it separately, or they was picked up from the Koreans would be an interesting dissertation, but we probably would never know. The Koreans claim inventing it during the Korean war from US GI rations. But then again anything that they picked up a taste for in the Japanese occupation they claimed they invented as well...

I did not know this was popular in Hawaii, but I am not at all surprised that it is! It's seriously good chow...

Fred

My recipe for Spam Musubi as taught to me:
    Sheet of Nori (seaweed softened)
    Sushi Rice (sushi grade rice mixed with sweetened rice wine vinegar in a wooden bowl)
    Slice of Spam
    Teriyaki or Katsu sauce

Lay out the sheet of nori, dip hand in warm water and run wet hand over the nori to just get it wet.
    Three finger scoop of sushi rice formed into a rectangular block
    Dip the back of the spoon in either teriyaki or Katsu sauce and drag across the sushi rice still in your hand
    Place the slice of Spam on the nori, then lay the sushi rice, sauce side down, onto the Spam.

Now roll the nori over the Spam and rice until you form a tight block. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until needed. Cook in the microwave 1-1.5 minutes thawed or 3 minutes on defrost then 1 minute at full or so depending on your microwave and mileage.

Of course. I have to eat at least one or two while making the stock pile.

In Remembrance

My favorite recipie using Spam is to shred it and mix with eggs, shredded cheddar, chopped green chilies, salt, and pepper. I like to wrap it in a flour tortillia. We sometimes mix in hash browns with it in the tortillas to round out the breakfast. For variety you can add stir fry chopped tomatoes and onions to the mix.

Boolit Grand Master

This has been very interesting, Thanks for all the neat ideas , looking forward to giving Spam Musubi a try . my Daughter likes Sushi and will help me make it ( actually she will make it, I will watch) . She will taste it but I will get to have the lion's share. Yeah!
    I had no idea so many enjoyed it besides myself.
    Gary

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    You know, if you put enough stuff on it, you could probably eat a bowling ball, but hopefully I'll never have to eat Spam again.

Slim
    You hit the nail on the head Slim. Well done.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master
    Bacon Spam, thick or thin, sliced and fried crisp & brown, either in a grilled egg & cheese sandwich, or in place of the bacon in a BLT with swiss or other good cheese on toasted rye or pump, or dressed like a hamburger, or with my sweet potato applesauce banana blueberry pancakes, or diced with onion, mushrooms & chilis in an omelet.
    Bacon Spam, sliced fairly thick & CHICKEN FRIED with cream gravy & mashed potatoes.
    My folks were Depression survivors and my Mom used to say that Dad would not throw away a burnt match. SWMBO sez it must be genetic. All I know is, for all the hate, if you approach Spam (and a lot of other turn-your-nose-up foods) with an open mind and are willing to experiment, you can make some pretty good stuff with it.
    Reckon that cardiologist is having his own heart attack from reading this thread yet? How's this? CHICKEN FRIED BACON WITH CREAM GRAVY !!!! It's what God probably has for breakfast instead of that sissy ambrosia and nectar.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast