RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 S&W Long thread

Boolit Grand Master
    There’s 32s and then there’s all those other calibers for those who haven’t discovered how well 32s of various sorts work for just about everything. “It’s like tryin’ to tell a stranger ‘bout Rock’n’Roll.” Some things you just have to experience.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    There’s 32s and then there’s all those other calibers for those who haven’t discovered how well 32s of various sorts work for just about everything. “It’s like tryin’ to tell a stranger ‘bout Rock’n’Roll.” Some things you just have to experience.

Froggie

I agree.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Outpost great read. The 32 is the perfect caliber as far as i am concerned. I have one correction though you can't reload the 32sw with dies for other calibers. You can size and bell but can't crimp. I ground enough off a shell holder to be able to crimp but its touch and go to whether it will hold or to much was ground. Sometimes have to use pocket knife to pop them back out. I have no problem at all carrying a 32 for defense ( any 32 ) if you do your part it will work fine has been for well over 100 years.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Outpost great read. The 32 is the perfect caliber as far as i am concerned. I have one correction though you can't reload the 32sw with dies for other calibers. You can size and bell but can't crimp. I ground enough off a shell holder to be able to crimp but its touch and go to whether it will hold or to much was ground. Sometimes have to use pocket knife to pop them back out. I have no problem at all carrying a 32 for defense ( any 32 ) if you do your part it will work fine has been for well over 100 years.
    Interesting. Which dies are you using? One of my sets is RCBS dated '81 marked .32 SW/L and came with a spacer like .38/.357 and does either .32 S&W, .32 ACP or S&W Long. My later RCBS carbide .32 ACP dies work well on .32 S&W Long and H&R mag, but as you correctly state won't crimp the shorter .32 S&W
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have a set of lee 32sw-l , 32hr. These wouldn't come close . Also have a quite old rcbs ( green cardboard box ) 32 acp .these i ground down shell holder so crimp die could go down far enough to put a crimp on. I was loading everything with the 32 acp but broke down and bought the 32 hr, 32 sw- l. .

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess I’ll just have to use my old S&W loading set to put the taper crimp on my 32 S&Ws. (Sigh!)
    Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7A8F2D53-E526-4E65-9336-429573542E0A.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie,
    Now you are bragging!

Ed Harris has some of the best info on reloading in general and .32 Specific I have ever read. Thank you, my friend!

Guys like Froggie and Ed make me truly happy and PROUD to be part of this community!

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master
    Another .32 fan here. I have a 311008 and a Lee 90 TC-TL, both of which I use in .32 S&WL, .32 H&RM, .32 ACP, .327 Fed, and .32-20.
    I first started loading .32 SWL with one of the old Ideal tools that have a built-in mold. Still have that one, and use it occasionally.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve always regarded the basic bullet for 32 revolvers to be the original Ideal 3118 and honestly didn’t even notice the lack of a crimp groove until Outpost75 pointed it out from the writings of Ed Harris. I’m now leaning toward the 313445 & 313492 for the shorter members of the 32 family but still like the big 314008 from NOE for those times I want a heavy bullet for a “serious” 32 pistol cartridge. I will probably flitter off to a different bullet for heavy loads if I can find one with a crimp groove, but I’m like the bumblebee that shouldn’t be able to fly but does anyway... I’ve got a load that works regardless of how it looks in theory... I just didn’t know any better!

Froggie

Green frog if it works it works. Pretty simple ain't it.

Boolit Bub
    Hey Froggie,
    How about a tutorial (maybe a separate thread) on that FINE tool set you have there, or at least a photo-tour ?

Regards

Russ

Boolit Master
    I'm with Russ on that. I'm a big fan of the old reloading tools.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MNruss View Post
    Hey Froggie,
    How about a tutorial (maybe a separate thread) on that FINE tool set you have there, or at least a photo-tour ?

Regards

Russ
    To both MNruss and psweigle:

I went through a long process of discovery of what tools S&W made and how to use them. As I was making new acquisitions and discoveries I posted my progress reports on the Antique Reloading Tools Collectors' Association website. Some of the information early on later proved incorrect or incomplete and the discussion went on for many pages. You can follow along with the good, the bad, and the ridiculous at the following location;

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com...php?f=28&t=387

I think this should show up as a clickable link, but if not you should be able to cut and paste it. Sometimes that website is a little picky about who it lets in, so you may have to join the main forum then look under S&W tools.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Has anybody tried the link I put in the previous listing? Does it work without being “logged in” to the ARTCA site? I need to get hold of their editor and see if I can get a hard copy of the issue of their journal that carried my article... I’d like to see how it looked in print.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie;
    I clicked on the link and it worked for me. However, as a direct result of hanging around with you, I am a member of the Forum and had to sign in. However, it was no problem at all. Hopefully, others that are interested can view it without issue, too.

Dale53

Boolit Bub
    I was stopped by not being logged in.
    I’m not opposed to signing up, I just don’t have the time right now.

Russ

Boolit Master
    I tried it but it wants me to log in.

Boolit Grand Master

It wanted me to log in too.

Froggie, years ago I got the Lee group buy 32 Keith mold - did you skip on that one??!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12