Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375-08 in a handi rifle

375-08 in a handi rifle

Anybody have this cartridge or messed with one. Getting a handi rebored and chambered in it. Are you shooting GC bullets or plain base? What weight?

Boolit Master
    Why the 375-08 over a 375 Whelen? I'd think that extra powder capacity would help when shooting boolits over 250g. Most 375s are going to want 264-330g boolits.

That being said Im guessing you will get 375WIN performance. What barrel length did you go with?

Boolit Master
    I think that is a very wise choice. After I got the .358 I was looking at a loaded round and thinking this would be sweet as a .375 and there would still be plenty of shoulder.
    Rule 303

Boolit Grand Master
    The wider shoulder of the 308 would preclude chambering for 35 whelen, unless you wanted brass with a double shoulder. A 35 whelen AI might work. Let us know how your 375-08 works, sounds like it would be between the 35 rem and 35 whelen.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    The wider shoulder of the 308 would preclude chambering for 35 whelen, unless you wanted brass with a double shoulder. A 35 whelen AI might work. Let us know how your 375-08 works, sounds like it would be between the 35 rem and 35 whelen.
    Why? The body length of a 30-06 is 1.650 and the 308 is 1.25 leaving .4 more depth. The shoulder width of the 30-06 is.454 and .308 .4426. Shoulder legths are 30-06 .151 and 308 .1606 by looking at chamber specs.

I dont see a wider shoulder on the .308 and even if it was its still in taper so with the longer 30-06 case the 375Whelen would fit just fine.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    Why? The body length of a 30-06 is 1.650 and the 308 is 1.25 leaving .4 more depth. The shoulder width of the 30-06 is.454 and .308 .4426. Shoulder legths are 30-06 .151 and 308 .1606 by looking at chamber specs.

I dont see a wider shoulder on the .308 and even if it was its still in taper so with the longer 30-06 case the 375Whelen would fit just fine.

Am I missing something?
    you have your shoulder numbers backwards

I have a 30-06 that was rechambered from a 308 (off kilter... made a heckuva mess) and the 308 shoulder IS too large and does NOT clean up during a rechamber
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    you have your shoulder numbers backwards

I have a 30-06 that was rechambered from a 308 (off kilter... made a heckuva mess) and the 308 shoulder IS too large and does NOT clean up during a rechamber
    Why yes I do! So 35 Whelen is out and .375 Whelen as well with a .443 shoulder. The 375WAI at .453 would be fine as should the 375 Hawk's .451 shoulder.

Cant wait to see this thing shoot.

Why the 375-08 over a 375 Whelen? I'd think that extra powder capacity would help when shooting boolits over 250g. Most 375s are going to want 264-330g boolits.

That being said Im guessing you will get 375WIN performance. What barrel length did you go with?
    I got a good deal on a set of ch4d die set and a 24" 243 barrel. Been wanting something 375 caliber for a while. Got a bunch of 308 brass and picked up some 307 winchester brass also in case I wanted to add a rim cut to it.

Boolit Master
    Did this ever come to reality?

Did this ever come to reality?
    The rifle was built and Jason has shot it. I will let him chime in on the accuracy.

BB

Boolit Master
    I've toyed with the idea of chambering this wildcat in a bolt rifle for quite some time, sort of a rimless 375 JDJ on steroids. Loads of fun, I've convinced myself... I'm sure it's only a matter of time, but would be more than interested in Jason's results while I continue procrastinating.

oh man ... somebody spill the beans here!!! the 375 cal is just the best and i think the 375-08 will have enough snoos to do anything on the north american continent. i am still interested in a 375 whelen but this 308 punched out sounds just neat.

375 winchester ... i think this punched out 308 will cover up a 375 winchester in grand shape.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jason f View Post
    Anybody have this cartridge or messed with one. Getting a handi rebored and chambered in it. Are you shooting GC bullets or plain base? What weight?
    I have a 375/356 on a 94BB and its a neat conversion. I use heavier cast bullets in the 280-300 gr range and most of my pills wear a GC. Being a single shot you have a lot more flexibility with your loaded length and, depending on your throating and twist rate, you could be using some real heavyweight bullets.

In terms of its capacity to bore size its similar to a 35 Rem, so it's quite an efficient case. I think you will like it.
    Last edited by JFE; 07-11-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    oh man ... somebody spill the beans here!!! the 375 cal is just the best and i think the 375-08 will have enough snoos to do anything on the north american continent. i am still interested in a 375 whelen but this 308 punched out sounds just neat.

375 winchester ... i think this punched out 308 will cover up a 375 winchester in grand shape.

I agree, with the brass situation it sounds like a much better alternative to the 375 Win. I doubt it has a big advantage over the .358 but it certainly sounds like fun. Anybody sent the OP a PM?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

the one advantage would be the thump from a heavier projectile but that also has inherent disadvantageous , there are of course lighter projectiles , which roughly translated means i too am curious lolz
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    I have had several rifles chambered in 358 Win but because I first had a 35 Whelen I was never able to be satisfied with the performance of the 358. I know it is an excellent cartridge that performs beyond what its size would indicate but still not up to the Whelen.
    Now I have had several rifles chambered in 375 Whelen and still have two so I suspect that even though a 375/08 will likely be a respectable performer I have been spoiled by the 375 Whelen so just like the 358 I could never warm up to a 375/08.
    I am pleasantly ruined by the gov. case of 1906.

only bullets that i have used in it so far are the hornady 220 fp. gun definately shoots better than i do, brass is easy to make with just one pass through the sizing die is all it takes. i am using upper end 358 win. data with no signs of pressure problems. this was a 243 barrel i sent to jes reboring. i also sent a 30-30 barrel to him and had it rebored to 375 winchester. since this one is on list for ohio.

I'd have to make the cases out of -06 brass for a longer neck and fill them with black.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jason f View Post
    only bullets that i have used in it so far are the hornady 220 fp. gun definately shoots better than i do, brass is easy to make with just one pass through the sizing die is all it takes. i am using upper end 358 win. data with no signs of pressure problems. this was a 243 barrel i sent to jes reboring. i also sent a 30-30 barrel to him and had it rebored to 375 winchester. since this one is on list for ohio.
    Jason have you got to chronograph the loads?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    this sounds interesting as I don't have anything in 375 but am really feeling deprived!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast