Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny thing happened making Felix

Banned

Funny thing happened making Felix

I have been testing lubes in the bitter cold so wanted to make a softer Felix by reducing the beeswax from my summer loads.
    I was doing the oils in a small pan, then started adding the Ivory, seemed to be my normal amount, one TBS. The soap is hard to melt of course but somehow I had too much. I was stirring and trying to keep the heat right, need to go near the flame and lift the pan a little, the kitchen stove even on low needs care here.
    All of a sudden the oils jelled, looked like Vaseline, had some flakes of soap left.
    I poured and scraped it into the melted beeswax, stirred it a while and added the lanolin. I had boolits set to pan lube so poured there first, the rest into another plastic food tray. I had flakes of soap left in the pan so just wiped it out with a paper towel. Some was in the second tray but settled to the bottom, I needed a filter.
    After all cooled, the lube is perfect, got the boolits out with my kake cutter.
    I put the pans in the freezer to break the lube out of the pans and it did not harden much at all, seems to be exactly the same as room temp lube. It is sticky and flexible.
    Have I hit on something by accident? Or is the oil supposed to jell?
    I will shoot some today, it is bitter cold out.
    I will let you know.
    Felix, can you comment?

Banned

It works! I posted in wheelguns.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had it gel on me too. Don't know what I did differently but could have been too much soap.

Banned

You just made real grease in your kitchen! You took the mixture to the actual melt point of the soap, which is about 460F. Then when taking off the heat and losing just a few degrees, the soap/oil mix "gelled", forming a sodium grease matrix. Basically you made true sodium soap grease whereas most of the time when making Felix lube we just "dissolve" the sodium into the oils, never reaching the melt point where the sodium stearate/salt/soap actually breaks down and then re-links with the oils.

Metal soap grease (based on stearates, 12-hydroxystearates, or mixtures of sodium, calcium, lithium, aluminum, antimony, barium, etc.) are made this way except it's done with un-reacted components at lower temperatures. That tub of lithium chassis grease in your garage is made from approximately 30-weight oil, lithium hydroxide, stearic acid, and additives all saponified in the pot just like making homemade soap, then the water is cooked off and it's milled in a grease mill before packing into tubs and tubes. Railroads used a very firm "brick" sodium grease to lube the journal boxes, and the final result is a soap grease that's very similar to the gelled mix you made in your pan. Once the acid/base saponification reaction occurs, the metal salt (or stearate, or "soap", like Ivory), the melt point becomes very high. If we could make Felix lube with just sodium hydroxide (caustic lye), stearic acid (wax candle hardener), and the oils, we could make the "grease" part at about 200 degrees and just boil off the water and add the wax. The problem is getting the mixture exact so there's no leftover acids or bases, so we kitchen chemists just use the pre-reacted, pH-neutral metal soap/salt/stearate (Ivory) and heat it enough to melt into the oils. The end result is a fine, fibrous, microscopic web or "sponge" saturated more or less permanently with the lubricating oil, same as industrial/automotive lubricating greases.

I have found no real difference between shooting FWFL that's had the soap fully melted into the oils and "gelled" and versions where it has simply been allowed to dissolve on its own. I tend to think that fully melting/gelling is some very good insurance against castor oil bleed, since the binding of the oil is significantly improved on a microscopic level. One disadvantage is getting that gelled grease to blend in well with the wax, since the grease tends to just form blobs in the melted beeswax like making Lithi-Bee, since the wax itself can't stand being heated enough to actually melt the soap matrix.

If you have little clearish sodium grease specks or "blobs" in the mix, just re-melt, mix, and cool a few times and it will smooth out completely.

Gear

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Maybe you actually made a version of Vaseline? Anyway, all is well by your shooting results! Who knows, maybe the initial ingredients have changed over time, for the better this time. Try making it again (exactly the same way) in three months and see if there is any difference in the produce. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Way to go, Ian!! ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    Ian, how many times have you watched that gelling take place? I know I have seen it enough times.

I bet that lube won't have any issues with oils bleeding out.

Banned

I time or two, Brad. Done it with aluminum and three different lithium salts, too. Fascinates me every time: "OOOOOHHH! Presto! More jell-o! (often followed by) Dang it, used too much stearate again, made gummy bear base, GRRRRR."

Gear

Boolit Master

Ok, is what Gear said good or bad?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    It is good, very, very good. It means the oils and the soap are locked together into a grease. The soap will then be more able to control the oils and prevent them from bleeding out of the lube.

What it also means is that the heat was high, between 450 and 500 degrees. Scary hot, easy to get a burn if it splashes on you. Been there, done that. Still have a scar.

Like Gear said though, he hasn't noticed a different between the lube where a true grease was formed and those where the soap was simply dissolved into the oils. It is probably better if a grease is formed but if not the lube still works very well.

Banned

Attachment 95162I was worried about mixing with the wax but it went right in and blended in the double boiler.
    I don't know how hot the oil got because I kept the smoke as low as I could by just getting near the flame a second and lifting the pan above it as soon as I seen a few wifts of smoke. I have to hold the pan off the fire the whole time.
    The flakes of soap left are still white, not a whole lot and there is none mixed in the lube cake, they just settled.
    I seen one difference in that after a time in the freezer, it never got rock hard but I don't know if it was because of the reduction in wax or not. I went from 8 oz to 6 oz.
    The cake was hard to get out of the plastic tray, it kept bending with the tray. The cake that I pan lubed the boolits in had all the holes, when I folded it in half it did not crack.
    I had the wax melted in the double boiler so it was only 212*. Cutting the cake shows an even blend throughout.
    I really like the results and can't wait for hot weather so I can compare more.

Boolit Grand Master
    I will be very interested to see how it does in hot weather. Will the reduction in wax make it more prone to lube purging?

Banned

I usually use 7 oz. per batch and add an extra tablespoon of either castor oil or Vaseline in the winter. 6-ounces and the regular oil amounts ought to be about perfect, sometimes the 7-ounce batch gets a little dry.

Gear

Banned

It is pretty hard to make Felix NOT shoot. I was satisfied with what I always made but it has been unusually cold here for a long time. This has been a strange winter. Most years it snows and in a few days it is gone, this year the snow has not left the ground and has actually dried out as the cold evaporates the moisture.
    It gave me the chance to play more because it has been about 57 to 58* with humidity running 29 to 37% depending on what side I am on, in my basement for a long time and my lubes got hard to work with. Seems funny to need a vest on at my bench.

44 Man
    Sounds like all my years in Alaska.
    Mugs
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I will be very interested to see how it does in hot weather. Will the reduction in wax make it more prone to lube purging?
    Actually, I want ALL lube to purge at the muzzle exit and just work while the boolit is the seal in the bore.
    Purge is hard for me to understand while a boolit is in the gun unless a boolit slumps to force lube out of the gap.
    I really find it funny when guys find lube on sky screens or a close target and complain, it is WHAT YOU WANT! Get that stuff off the boolit quick so you don't lose half here and there.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am speaking more of purging like is seen with an overly wet lube in heat. Shoot some of the old versions of MML in 95 degree weather and it leaves a wet bore. About every 5 to 7 shots you get a flyer as the bullet purges the wet goo from the bore.

I agree entirely on bullets flinging lube at the muzzle. I want the bullet clean within a few inches of the crown. I have seen enough loob boogers on 100 yard targets to tell me that if it isn't gone at the muzzle then you don't know when it will be gone. Not good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I am speaking more of purging like is seen with an overly wet lube in heat. Shoot some of the old versions of MML in 95 degree weather and it leaves a wet bore. About every 5 to 7 shots you get a flyer as the bullet purges the wet goo from the bore.

I agree entirely on bullets flinging lube at the muzzle. I want the bullet clean within a few inches of the crown. I have seen enough loob boogers on 100 yard targets to tell me that if it isn't gone at the muzzle then you don't know when it will be gone. Not good.
    Now you have an explanation I can see, thank you.
    Loss of friction in the bore is very bad.
    I find the same with Ben's Red in a revolver, too slippery. But the stuff has worked fine in a rifle. I see signs of a slippery lube breaking case tension before good ignition in a revolver.

Boolit Grand Master
    Revolvers and rifles have different lube needs.

We saw that in the lube quest. A lube that was awesome in handguns left a nasty fouling in rifles.

We should send you some TnT to try and see what you think in your handguns. It sure won't be too wet!

Constant friction is a big key in rifle lubes for accuracy. It is what makes CR bad in cold weather and what makes a really slick lube bad too.

Banned

Friction is not understood and how important it is. I learned long ago when a patched round ball started to shoot bad. Talked to Bill Large, he told me a bore can be "shot smooth" so old timers would plug the rifle and fill it with urine overnight to etch the steel.
    I used vinegar for the same results.
    Nobody ever got a chrome lined ML to shoot good with a patched round ball. I talk about a 5 shot, one ragged hole at 50 yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast