WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How about a coke?

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbeaux View Post
    in East Texas we call everything a coke..."you want a coke ?"...yeah I'll take a "Dr. Pepper" or an "orange belly wash" etc...also, a Dr. Pepper. rick
    Yes, our clique called all flavors of carbonated bottled beverages by many names, Coke, pop, cola pop, soda pop, soft drink, cold dope and some others, they were all interchangeable and everyone knew that you were speaking a language they could interpret.

I was squirrel hunting one day on property that was taken into the state DNR lands, it was an area that was bypassed by the federal Interstate Highway system. There was the foundation of a small family run grocery store that had been demolished, within the ruins of the foundation, I recovered a "pop" bottle, clear glass, that was labeled Jeff Cola.

That sparked my interest and I proceeded to research on the www, that research turned up a local bottling company within the city where I work. Farther research was provided by a customer of the auto repair shop where I was employed. The fellow was a resident of Jeffersonville, IN from the 1920's through WWII and into the 21st century and provided more information about Jeff Bottling Co.

You will be surprised at how many local beer breweries had their bottling processes intertwined with "soft drinks".
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Grand Master

"You will be surprised at how many local beer breweries had their bottling processes intertwined with "soft drinks". "

Many did so to stay afloat during Prohibition. Such companies as Yuenglings, Americas oldest brewery , and Coors produced milk, malted milk, soda and near beer.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    I had never heard of "NeHi" pop before I read this thread. It just occurred to me that is what "Radar" on "Mash" used to order at the bar--- a Grape NeHI!
    When my wife was pregnant with our twins (1967) she would get a craving for a grape NeHi and if that craving came after hours I would have to drive around looking for a vending machine that had them.

Boolit Master
    I remember parties my parents would throw. If there was snow, they would stick the green glass bottles of Coca-cola in the snow right off the porch. I don't think anything else ever tasted so good. Mom was addicted to Pepsi at the time but Coke was always my favorite.

I have noticed that regional bottlers are slightly different in flavor. The best Coke I have had in years was in the San Diego area while visiting MCRD for graduation. The only restauants around here who know what Coke should taste like is McDonalds and White Castle. Fazolis, Wendy's, Panera and Qdoba are always harsh with too much soda water. Has anyone tried the Coke they sell bottled in the Mexican Restaurants?

Boolit Master

You guys are making me feel like a young punk. The cheapest I remember seeing Coke machines was about 25 cents. When Coke changed their formula in about 1985 I was working at my first job in a grocery store in Jackson, Mississippi. There was dang near a riot with folks trying to get the last of the old formula. Now the sugar base is corn syrup or something else and it just isn't the same. Nothing could compare to a dang near frozen glass bottle Coke. They say the plastic bottles do not alter the change but I disagree.

As of late I have been consuming Throwback Forumula Pepsi. I find it doesn't give an aftertaste like the current Cokes do as it is made with real sugar. They say your taste changes some after having your gallbladder out so that may have something to do with it, too.

The Mexican Cokes are a good alternative but I have found them to be a little on the high side. There is just something about consuming a product made in Mexico that bothers me, too.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Bub
    I have fond 1950s childhood memories of reaching into the top of the rotating coke machine at the Decatur, Georgia bakery "The Cake Box" and pulling out my 5 cent coke. The price was a nickel until 1959.

Boolit Master

I have all these memories and scrounging for bottles in alleys near garbage cans to return the bottles and buy some candy circa 60-64.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy

I think the Mexican Cokes, Fanta etc use pure cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup...the best Dr. Peppers utilize Imperial Pure Cane Sugar instead of the corn syrup...they are hard to find...

rick

In Remembrance
    My favorite Dr Peppers came from Dublin Texas, I seem to remember reading that they had closed the plant a few years back though.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rack View Post
    OK, experts I have a light green bottle that has 'Soda" imprinted on the sides but the bottom says Coca Cola Bottling Co. Cincinnati Ohio. I'm curious if this is a early Coke bottle or was it for a generic cola packaged by that company?
    I also have another that has a ball in it permanently apparently when filled the pressure would seal it. I guess you just pushed the ball down to open it has a small ledge molded in it to hold the ball once unsealed. I understand it's Australian and a similar style is still used in India.
    They still sell soda sealed with a glass ball in Japan. The store 5 Below sells it here in the states. Some normal and some oddball flavors like "yogurt" and "cucumber".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    You guys are making me feel like a young punk. The cheapest I remember seeing Coke machines was about 25 cents. When Coke changed their formula in about 1985 I was working at my first job in a grocery store in Jackson, Mississippi. There was dang near a riot with folks trying to get the last of the old formula. Now the sugar base is corn syrup or something else and it just isn't the same. Nothing could compare to a dang near frozen glass bottle Coke. They say the plastic bottles do not alter the change but I disagree.

As of late I have been consuming Throwback Forumula Pepsi. I find it doesn't give an aftertaste like the current Cokes do as it is made with real sugar. They say your taste changes some after having your gallbladder out so that may have something to do with it, too.

The Mexican Cokes are a good alternative but I have found them to be a little on the high side. There is just something about consuming a product made in Mexico that bothers me, too.
    Mexican Pepsi tastes even better than the Throwback version. It's got much better flavor but still no foul corn syrup aftertaste.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the machine at our auto shop. Late 60's model but with the newer 15 cent price sticker. Still keeps them ice cold, but the vend solenoid is missing so it doesn't lock the rack so we charge at the counter ($1 a bottle, it's not easy or cheap to fill this thing anymore).

We were keeping original 6.5oz return type bottles in it till the last 6.5oz bottling plant shut down two years ago. (http://brainerddispatch.com/news/201...minnesota-line)

We fill it up with Orange Crush, Grape Crush, Strawberry Crush, Mexican Coke, Mexican Pepsi (I know! In a Coke machine!), Stewarts Key Lime, Stewarts Cherries and Cream, and a few others depending on what we can get when we need to refill it.

Only run it in the summertime though, too much electricity wasted in the winter for the little bit of soda sold.

In Remembrance
    LOL I have never been much of a coke drinker, and can't even drink one unless it is poured over ice. When they changed the formula, I had an aunt that was a cokeaholic. She bought enough to last until they came out with the coke classic or whatever it is called. lol

I too used to be a coke kid....that new coke and the subsequent plastic bottles ruined it for me. For several years back in the early 80's we could find glass deposit bottle cokes at little general stores and groceries where we hunted around St Mary's , weedville , Berndale PA. I can remember walking down to the corner bar in New jerkistan and glass 1 quart coke bottles were 70 cents. When I moved to KY in the early 90's you could still find RC cola machines selling RC at 25 cents a can.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

In Remembrance
    LOL If rc cola was still a nickle a bottle, I would leave it where I found it. But then a 20 oz anything will last me a couple weeks.

In Remembrance
    I have to say that the old 16 oz coke bottles were very good for attitude adjustments. How many of you guys ever made rings out of them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234