Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How about a coke?

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii

How about a coke?

Actually, It was How about a coke Jay!!!? Thats what my mom would ask (yell) at me as a kid. My mom was a coca-cola person, not pepsi, aways coke. Back then (I'm really dating myself here) We had 6-packs of green 7.5 oz. hobble-skirted, glass bottles. And (dating myself even further), the bottle caps had cork inside that I would pick out and chew,Yuck! Anyway, she would stick the bottles in the freezer for just the exact right amount of time to get them lightly frosted with ice on the outside and about a inch of ice slush on the inside. And serve them up that way to us hot, sweatly brats. We always drank straight out of the bottle, For me, Those first few sips were straight from heaven!

Ok, that was a little long winded, I just lost myself in the moment. I should post this, But now I'm wound up on Old soft drink stuff. At my grandparents house, they always had bubble-up in dark green
    swirl pattern bottles and once in a while Dr.Pepper (a rare treat), I remember the clock pattern on the bottle but I swear I can't remember the color of the bottle, maybe a very light gray?

Anyone (you old guys) ever use one of those soft drink machines for bottles? I remember an upright type with a long narrow window/door that you would open and pull (or more drag) the bottle from a tall row. Or the other type that layed horizontal, on that one I think the bottles sat up right in ice water, once released you slide them on a rail, (help me out here guys, its been a really long time!) and then up and out. I seem to remember these machines being at places like gas stations and campground stores. Did either type last beyond the 1970's?

I still want to talk about soft-drink collector stuff, But I will be typing all night, Thanks for reading the memories! Jay
    Last edited by jaystuw; 01-29-2014 at 07:09 AM.

In Remembrance
    I know where there is still an old upright one in use, it takes 50 cents to get an 8 oz bottle out of it. When I was in high school they were a quarter, seems like I remember getting cokes out of them for a dime.

Banned
    Jay,

I also remember those green small bottles with the cork in the cap. Coke has always been my soft drink of choice. Coke seemed to taste better back then or maybe it was the fact that I was younger and a Coke was a treat. Todays Coke in the can or plastic bottle doesn't have the taste in my opinion that Coke in a glass bottle has. I believe its called progress. Maybe one of the best things was the price. I can remember .10 ea and I'm thinking it was .05 for a while.

Recently got rid of my combo Coke machine to a neighbor. It was capable of holding two rows of glass bottles and the rest cans or a total load of cans.

Yes, I remember those machines with the small door you opened on the side and you had a row of different pops and you simply pulled out the bottle of choice. I also remember those Coke machines with the paddle that was about in the middle of the machine. The vertical lift machines where you moved the bottle down the row to the area with the spring loaded door and simply pulled straight up.

Boolit Master

I remember a .05 Coke machine and shortly after they all went to .10. It seems they stayed .10 til the early 70's then to .25 when there was supposedly a sugar shortage and the price never went back down.

gmsharps

Banned
    I'm thinking it was .05 in the 50's. Correct my memory if I am wrong.

Boolit Master
    If you're ever in Oklahoma, make a side trip to Pops in Arcadia. They have an unsurpassed selection of "pop", if you've drank it; they probably have it.

Scroll through their offerings here:

http://www.pops66.com/40.0.html
    Bob

Boolit Master

I saw a couple of machines in the mid 60's that still had the .05 cokes.

gmsharps

My father in law has one of the upright machines, in full working order, in his garage. It is not filled with Coke......

Boolit Master
    I was working in the USA in 1974 and they certainly had those machines then,also Cambells soup machines that heated the contents.

The up right machines with bottles in rows were my favorite on Sundays after baseball practice. The gas station in town was closed and 3 straws taped together and a "church key" meant free sodas. I hid my straw behind the machine for safe keeping until the next week.
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master

Coke or Pepsi. I've also gotten my pop out of a machine that was filled with water and the tall machines with rows of different pop. The thing I really miss is an ice cold bottle of Pepsi and a bag of Planters Peanuts. Drink enough pop to make room for the peanuts and then dump the peanuts into the pop. Wow was that good. It isn't the same out of a can.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

When I was a kid the park pavilion had an old "pull out the 6 oz bottle" kind. One thin silver dime and off we go. Maybe my imagination, but I remember it tasting better then. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaystuw View Post
    Anyone (you old guys) ever use one of those soft drink machines for bottles? I remember an upright type with a long narrow window/door that you would open and pull (or more drag) the bottle from a tall row. Or the other type that layed horizontal, on that one I think the bottles sat up right in ice water, once released you slide them on a rail, (help me out here guys, its been a really long time!) and then up and out. I seem to remember these machines being at places like gas stations and campground stores. Did either type last beyond the 1970's?

I still want to talk about soft-drink collector stuff, But I will be typing all night, Thanks for reading the memories! Jay

Mother-in-Law had the Coke chest type with the rail system, removed, on her enclosed back porch. I remember all the variations well. We had a bottler in town, Atlas, that had the contract with Faygo, to supply those upright machines. IIRC, those bottles were clear with embossed circles and no labels. The bottle cap told, what flavor it was. In those upright machines , that was the only thing you could see, anyways.

Winelover

Banned

yep, I owned one of them soft drink machines. no seriously, I had it in my kitchen.

Boolit Master

Our coke machines went from .05 to .10, but the cokes in the coolers only went up to .06. I could never understand why anyone would buy one from the machine. By the way chocolate milk came in 6oz class bottles then and the were .03 each or 2/.05.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned

local gas station had one and when they went to the can machine the owner brought it inside and just filled it with long neck beer bottles. Its still there and still used at 3 oclock every friday.

Boolit Master

8 oz bottles for a dime, in returnable bottles with a 2 cent deposit. Locally RC Cola, Nehi and Hires Root Beer were the labels available. Vertical dispensers came about to frustrate those kids with the straws and a church key. The price was 10 cents in the late 50's. Wish I had a dollar for every time I had to fill the machine.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

If you are ever in Atlanta be sure and stop at the Coca Cola Museum. They have a lot of very interesting displays . I spent about 5 hours in there lookin at the history of Coca Cola with my whole family. Even the youngest had a great time without getting bored.

Boolit Grand Master

Being from GA (the home of coca cola) it was always, you wanna coke? What flavor? Coke was a generic and brand name in my household. Pepsi need not apply, however, after a fishing trip, dad and i would stop and get an RC and a moon pie. I miss those days.

Boolit Master

When I was a kid there was a place down the road that had a Coke cooler that you lifted the lid and the bottles were down sitting in refrigerated water, you put in your money and then snaked the bottle through a maze to get it to the gate which unlocked after you put your money in to get the bottle out. Penny deposit on returning the bottle, rode many a mile on my bike picking bottles out of the ditch to get my candy money. My buddy has several of the upright bottle door machines, like above they are not filled with pop.

As a side I remember the Airman's club at Keesler AFB had beer machines, served cans though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast