Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Rifling Buttons

Rifling Buttons

Does anyone have the specifications for the following rifling buttons

.510 (50 BMG)
    .700 (700 NE)

Bore .500 , .005 each grove = .510 .700 ?

I actually need the specifications for the carbide button used to make the barrel.....

Boolit Grand Master
    I bet the barrel companies view that as proprietary information.

Between size, thread pitch, surface finish, and on and on I bet they don't share

I actually need the specifications for the carbide button used to make the barrel.....
    Why do you need this?

Boolit Buddy
    Diameter and twist rate equals helix angle.

Really though, if you are in a position to make your own buttons reliably, you wouldn't need to ask, would you?

The outfits that supply them take credit cards. Phone or Email them and ask what info they can provide, and see if you can make them reliably for less than they will charge you.

http://www.dmetool.com/index.php/dri...-rifle-buttons is not the only game around, but near enough to.

Cheers
    Trev

Hi, funny you say that..since Tom has never made a .70 cal button, He asked me if i know the dimensions for the .70 cal combination button.. DME make all my buttons...

And barrel making is not an exact science, no two batches of steel are ever the same... and you will find just about every barrel maker out there will have 5 buttons for each caliber and twist they make. eg my 1-9 .375 combinations buttons are .3790-3675, .37905-36755, .37091-3676.

Reed, if by some act of god, your the guy who came up with the 22 express case based on the 30 Tok case, thanks, you inspired so many of my early experiments...
    Why do i need this? so i can make 1-9 twist 50 cal barrels too suit my extremely thin tapered 0.016 to 0.012 at the mouth .510 jackets and stabilize the 850 grain lead tips i make on my RCE dies...

As for the .70.... I have a plan... Inspired by Jtcustomknives and his 700 ***.... I just cant use BMG cases.. They are now considered naughty by my government... So its off too pester Bertram...

Indeed, it is I. Also the purveyor of the .20 Reed and .17 Reed as well as many other projects to numerous to list (many of which sit on the shelf collecting dust). Learn a lot from experimenting.

On your barrels, since you are making them to suit your bullets, I'd just give them the specs you want and roll from there. You seem to have a good handle on the process, 'if'in yo're the man cuttin' it, you make the rules.

Boolit Master

There are several shops that do cut rifling, might be the way to go. I did a Titanium .50 cal barrel a couple months back. I also did some reverse engineering to came up with a barrel for 28 gauge brass, started with the brass to find what bullet diameter would work then made a barrel to match. Came up with a .580" bore and a .590" groove. Seems to work for the .577 Snider also. I have been thinking of doing a .70 caliber for the 70-150 cartridge, I want to put it on a Winchester 1897. Problem is I can't ship out of the U.S.