RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: spotting scope

Boolit Master

Question spotting scope

any ideas on a good one that a working man can afford

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For what need?

For indoor pistol and .22 gallery, and centerfire rifle at ranges not over 100 yds., a 20x is sufficient.

The quality of lens system and resolution is more important than brute magnification.

I can spot .30 cal. holes in the black of an SR target with a high quality Unertl, Kowa, or Zeiss scope, but with a cheap no-name Chinese 20x I cannot.

I have a Kowa 20x on my Pachmayr pistol box, and this also works well for 100-yard .22 smallbore and 200 yard. 30 caliber when moved to a Champions Choice stand. It is marginal beyond 200 yards, but is adequate to see target spotters or painted golf tees used to mark rapid-fire groups, and to read the scores on chalk boards for the 300, 500 and 600 yard stages of the Infantry Trophy Team Match.

My advise is to buy the best quality 20x scope you can afford, and if it has a removeable eyepiece you can swap out for higher magnification, if the objective lens is larger than 60mm, you can get by.

Boolit Master
    Konus makes a few scopes that are very good for their price. I bought the 100mm objective version and use it to spot my 223 holes at 200yds. I was able to count nail heads on a telephone pole that was some 500yds away (according to google maps)

Also, don't forget a decent tripod. I bought a nice scope but using it is a major PITA because my cheapy tripod won't hold the damn thing steady.
    Last edited by Oreo; 01-29-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    any ideas on a good one that a working man can afford
    Now there is the rub - "can afford". I just passed up a terrific deal on a Kowa 884 Prominar with the TE-11WZ 25x-60x Wide Zoom eyepiece and protective cover. Asking price was $2,000.00 shipped & insured and the price was firm. I don't think there is currently a better spotting scope on the market but that is still a lot of money for something I might "need" probably less than a dozen times a year. I just couldn't justify the purchase in my mind.

I'm still looking for a "quality" spotting scope and I will only purchase the straight body as opposed to the angled eye piece but I have narrowed my quest to a used Vortex Razor like the 20X60X85mm. New, they go for approximately $1,600.00 but there have been a few used ones sold in the $800.00 range. Their warranty is for the man who uses his "high priced" optics hard, as they have a lifetime repair or replace the optic - no questions asked. That's hard to beat.

There are a couple models that cost a lot less money, same warranty and the lens quality is good, just not up to the lens quality of the Razor models but most don't have a "need" for pricey super high quality lens but the "want/desire" is sure there.

Take a look at the Vortex line and shop around on the different sites such as sniper's hide, bird forums etc and see if you can pick up a quality spotting scope at a price you can justify and live with. Good Luck.

Boolit Master

I've got my sights on the Vortex spotting scopes also. I'm super satisfied with the three rifle scopes and two sets of binoculars I have, and the Vortex warranty is the best in the business. I recently sent my Vortex Razor binoculars in for a re-columnation after they were dropped - quick mail off to Wisconsin and I had them back in less than 2 weeks cleaned, re-columnated and with new lens covers, no charge and no questions. Try that with your Zeiss or Swarovski's...

Boolit Bub
    I have a Bushnell 20 x 60 and it only cost me $89 dollars with case and sunshade. I purchased a Winchester model for the wife in 15 x 45 for bench shooting at 100 yards. It was $100 dollars with a nice case too. I have had mine for the past 5 years and it works great!
    "GOD Bless America & Our Troops"

I had a Unertl 24X for many years and it was a great spotting scope until it was stolen. Not being flush with cash, I bought several cheap ones, but never found a decent one. About ten years ago I bought a early 50s Argus 20X in a Freeland stand on Ebay for not much money. As long as you are looking through the center of the field, it is plenty sharp and light for every use I have. Toward the edges you loose some optical quality.

If I could buy what I want (and I can't) it would be a Kowa.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I recently purchased a spotting scope that is currently working out great for my needs. It wasn't inexpensive by my standards but it fit my needs of being light weight, robust and giving the user a bright clear view of his target.

The scope is an Opticron MM3 straight body with the SDLv2 zoom lens (12X36X50), this eyepiece is sharper with a wider field of view at the top end of its zoom range and is waterproof, making it slightly better than the other lens offerings for this scope body. I got the Vanguard table top tripod, which I use for shooting off the bench and it can also be used as a window mount. The MM3 body weight is 21 ounces, the SDL eyepiece is 10 ounces and it's under 12 inches in length with eyepiece.

Cost with tripod runs right at $800.00 when you purchase from a major dealer - there internet price will be higher but a telephone call will get you the MM3 and SDLv2 lens for $750 to include shipping. I got mine from Eagle Optics.

I can clearly see 22 caliber holes in the black at 200 yards with no mirage - with light mirage I can see 22 holes in the white and holes in the black of a "dirty bird" target. 300 yards is a stretch - sometimes I can see 22 holes in the white when conditions are right - not a chance of spotting 22 holes in the black. You can easily spot 22 hits on steel at 300 yards.

Thought I'd just post this particular spotting scope for those looking for something small, lightweight with great quality. It's new, so you probably won't find any used on the market, so you'll have to pony up some serious cash for this gem.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/mm3_scope.html

Boolit Master
    This is what I use, they sell for under $400 with a useable but only just OK tripod. It is a little chinchy will not really hold up under hard use but you really don't want to drop any spotting scope. It come in a padded case that can stay on the scope even when using it. I is two scopes in one, has two objectives and one zoom eye piece linked with a mirror that changes from one objective to the other so you can resolve close up with 6 to 25 power or switch to the 100mm objective for 25 to 100 power. You can't focus at 100 power unless the target is more than 100 meters away but I can get to 75 power at 100 yards. .22 holes are easy to see at 100 yards but the tripod is soft so you have to not touch the scope while looking thru it at high power because it wiggles. The scope body is plastic so it is light and it is just glued together.

Tim

Yukon Spotting Scope 6-100x 100mm with Tripod G...
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Perma-Banned
    I bought a bushnell spacemaster several years ago on sale at sportsmans warehouse, I have been real happy with it, I'm pretty sure mine is 15-45 power, I've used it for everything from bullet holes at 100 yards to spotting game, I bought a window mount for it and I'm sure glad I did! I use the window mount for almost everything

Boolit Master
    Another decent spotting scope for not much money is a Simmons. I got one on sale at Cabellas for $59. Goes up to 60x, but it's really only good to a little over 45x. I would say it's strictly for target and reasonable weather (not guaranteed to resist fogging in wet cold weather). I can comfortably see 30-30 holes in targets to 300 yards or so. Comes in a nice case too.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I've been using a Vortex with no issues and love it. There's plenty to choose from in that price range.You may want to check Natchez.

friend of a friend passed away some years back.
    bought his gear recently, kit & caboodle for cheap.
    this was in a freebie box-o-stuff which was tossed in to boot.
    Unertl 24x63 right angle, Freeland.
    just call me Lucky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg