RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Sr 4756 substitute

Sr 4756 substitute

Well i am finally catching wind of the discontinued status of sr-4756 and some other IMR powders. Without knowing whether this is all true, im wanting to prepare alternatives.

Ive just become fond of the sr-4756 as it is serving top duty in my 460 magnum and 38 special, and it has some planned dates with 7.62x39 and 30-30 and 45-70

I know that unique is close...but the 4756 has always won hands down in head to head tests.

Herco? Longshot? I understand that charges will not be interchangable... But i like the load density, cleanliness, and recoil signature of 4756 with appropriate loads. I am hoping to find another powder in this niche

If ive posted a question that has been answered recently, please post a link!

Thanks for reading

Boolit Master

I'm with you Dr. Fortunately i have about 20lbs of it so Im good for quite a while. I think I'd give Herco or Longshot a try. Probably Longshot. I have not used Longshot because I use bluedot instead (mag 12ga) My son in law has used Longshot i'll ask him what he thinks of it. I got the sr4756 for hevy field 12ga loads but it was marginal at that job blue dot proved to be much better. I am now using sr4756 in 38spcl 9mm 45acp and medium 44mag. It works superbly in those pistols and I think the perceived recoil is much better. its not as snappy IMO. I know physics says it has to be the same but to me its more like a hard shove instead of a sharp slap. YMMV

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't give up yet on finding 4756. I was in the same boat as you looking for a replacement for my 12 gauge slug loads...went to a gunshow..none found... called a local gunshop....none, but the name of another shop a couple of mountains over... and there it was an 8# jug......I felt like I hit the lottery... also picked up some Herco while I was there

Boolit Master
    I would think Herco and 4756 are similar.. Longshot I sort of always compared to HS7 or Blue Dot.. I am liking Herco for loading major power factor ammo for my 40 with the BT Sniper 190 gr 9 -> 40 HP's.. I was shooting a few last night in the dark and there was very little flash.. A dark orange flame smaller than the size of a soda can.. Something like 6.5 gr with a 190 JHP.. Loaded to 1.220".

Boolit Mold

Got 5 pounds sr4756

Just found me some SR-4756. Only thing is I had to take a case; 10 1# cans. I only wanted 5 but wasn't going to miss getting some. If you want the other 5 let me know. I've got $30.72 per pound in it or $153.60 for all 5. Really want to sell all 5 at one time. Of course there will be UPS shipping + hazd material fee. Let me know if you or anyone else interested.

In Remembrance
    I didn't think an individual could ship powder. Am I missing something?

Boolit Grand Master

Sr 4756 substitute

An individual can ship it as long as they have the required credentials. Read that as paying money for the class to becomes a certified HazMat shipper.

Where in Origun be you? PM me
    I have a can of 4756 I have little use for
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BBOB662 View Post
    Just found me some SR-4756. Only thing is I had to take a case; 10 1# cans. I only wanted 5 but wasn't going to miss getting some. If you want the other 5 let me know. I've got $30.72 per pound in it or $153.60 for all 5. Really want to sell all 5 at one time. Of course there will be UPS shipping + hazd material fee. Let me know if you or anyone else interested.

PM inbound

Boolit Buddy
    My buddy got a bunch of 4756 in his store this past weekend.
    http://gardenstatearmory.com/