Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first 1903!

Boolit Master

My first 1903!

This rifle and had been sporterized, but I have a good friend that was able to set me up with an original stock. It's a 1921, with matching original barrel. The bore is in great shape, and shooting standard ball ammo on Sunday, I was hitting paint cans consistently at 180 yards. Provided I did my part.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390927130.949100.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	94843

Now, I would like to tackle some Boolits through her. I've had good success with the 311299, in my M1, but now with a bolt gun, I'm hoping I get similar results.

I have read the articles in the sticky above, and will be trying some of those loads with the 4895.

After reading through 5 pages of topics, it seams there is little discussion of load success for this rifle. I'm hoping to drum up some good discussion, as I feel this rifle is more than worth it!!
    Last edited by Lizard333; 01-28-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Super Moderator

Good score Lizard. I have had great success with cast in my 1942 Remington 1903. Never tried to push it past 2000fps, and accuracy has been stellar. I have been outshooting my friends shooting scoped rifles with it. Every boolit I ever tried in it (including 311299) shot well.

Boolit Grand Master

No reason the 311299 shouldn't do quite well if not excellently in your M1903. Suggest you start at 28 gr 4895, use a 3/4 gr Dacron filler and work up to 32 gr. The M1903 will tell you what is the best load.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

So here's my question. In the sticky above, he said not to use the filler as it increases the pressure. I've never used it, but I also know Larry knows his stuff.

So if I do use the Dacron, what's the process? Powder, than filler, than bullet? How do you insert the Dacron? Do you just tear a chunk off and go?
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Congrats from another paint can shooter!

I save up the empties on the job, fill them water, tamp down the lids and they literally explode when you shoot them. Don't forget to pick up the lids.. Ive seen them fly 50 feet into the air.

Nothing like turning a sporter back into USGI glory.

Super Moderator

Yes, powder, than filler then boolit. I use a wood chopstick to insert it, just loosely over the powder. You aren't compressing it. Or, you can just use 32-34 IMR4895 without filler, or in other words the same load you use in your Garand. I have been using 5744 quite a bit in my 1903 with excellent results(no filler).

Boolit Master

Ok, so after reading about Dacron for the last couple of hours and seeing some of the results, I will be heading to the fabric store after work😎. I like the idea of cutting it into strips and using it that way.

Shooter, how many grains of 5744 are you using? I just got an 8 pound keg for use in my 300 AAC blackout, and I'm happy with the results. It seams the 5744 is bulkier with the individual "sticks".

I'll be trying some if these loads this weekend. This rifle is an absolute blast to shoot! My dad had the opportunity to purchase it first, and he said it was a piece of ****. Boy will he be bummed!! I paid 200$ for the rifle and another 250$ for the CORRECT stock. First time I've paid more for a stock than the rifle, but it is more than worth it.

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats! Boy does that bring me back!

There is a lot that has not been said (yet)

If you have done your home work you know enough to scrub out the bore,
    get rid of any copper fouling.

It took me 8 treatments of Casey Foam Bore Scub on my last A3

Size .311 for a start and weight sort the boolits.

It will shoot almost all cast boolits well.

Don't try and push it too hard. 1600-1800 FPS

As for fillers, toss the coin.

They will improve things but how much with iron sights?

Don't over look Red Dot, 2400, Unique and other "Pistol" powders.

You are about to start a journey that will change your life.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-311284-311332

Enjoy

Boolit Master

Nice!

What luck to have a friend to help you restore it back to its original condition.

I agree that your M1 Garand loads should shoot just fine and perhaps even better in your new 1903.

I've had more fun with my 1903s than a barrel of monkeys and I always take a second look at them at gun shows. The rear sight, while almost infinitely adjustable, has some issues with returning precisely to a previous setting due to the Mk I eyeball. Once you get you loads sorted out, you may want to investigate a PJ O'Hare sight adjustment tool so that you can accurately adjust your sights for different ranges. It will definitely add to the fun factor of your rifle.

You can get a nice replica of the device for about $130 USD.

http://www.sbsdistributing.com/index.php?pr=Sight_Tools
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-28-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Mine seems to like the Lyman 311284 best with most powders I have tried. I keep the velocity to around 1800.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    So here's my question. In the sticky above, he said not to use the filler as it increases the pressure. I've never used it, but I also know Larry knows his stuff.

So if I do use the Dacron, what's the process? Powder, than filler, than bullet? How do you insert the Dacron? Do you just tear a chunk off and go?
    Check out my post #4 in this sticky; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...use-of-fillers

Read through the thread as there are other tidbits of useful info on the Dacron filler.

Larry Gibson

I'm partial to M1903A1s.........

Attachment 94888
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-28-2014 at 08:36 PM.

You can also us a number 2 pencil to stick the dacron into the case.
    Regards,

WE

Super Moderator

Lizard,
    I use 26 grains of 5744 with the Lee 170F and 311299. Velocity under 2000, but scary accurate. 5744 is one of my favorite cast powders, and I wish I had an 8 lb keg of it right now! By far the most accurate powder I have used in cast with the M1903 30-06.

Boolit Master

TM 9-1270 Ordnance Maintenance -- U.S. Rifles Cal. .30 M1903, M1903A1, M1903A3, M1903A4
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/temp/t001.pdf

Description and Rules for the Management of the United States Rifle Caliber .30 Model of 1903
    (original 1911 edition)
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/temp/190...911_Manual.pdf

My 1918 double heattreat Greek Lend-Lease.

My 1st one! (the rifle not the girl) S/n 394506 December, 1909. Photo taken Summer of 1968. Rifle was stone mint unissued. Paid $35.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My bullet for several of my 1903A3 rifles is an undresize Lyman that actually makes round bullets . The .311" die just barely touches the sides and the bullets get lubed with LBT . Hardness is in the fifteen brinell range and the nose is .3015" or maybe a touch bigger . I have a jug of an old Accurate Arms surplus powder that is similar to IMR 4831 . Thirty-five to thirty-six grains in a military case gets the bullet to near twenty-three hundred feet per second across my chronograph . It's as accurate as ball in most rifles and at least as good as my eyes can see to direct them . It is not a powder puff load on the shoulder though .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    My bullet for several of my 1903A3 rifles is an undresize Lyman that actually makes round bullets . The .311" die just barely touches the sides and the bullets get lubed with LBT . Hardness is in the fifteen brinell range and the nose is .3015" or maybe a touch bigger . I have a jug of an old Accurate Arms surplus powder that is similar to IMR 4831 . Thirty-five to thirty-six grains in a military case gets the bullet to near twenty-three hundred feet per second across my chronograph . It's as accurate as ball in most rifles and at least as good as my eyes can see to direct them . It is not a powder puff load on the shoulder though .

Jack

What weight is this Boolit?

Benjamin Franklin

Super Moderator

Lizard,

Have you tried AA1680 in your 300 AAC Blackout?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post

Looks like Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde.

That's a huge compliment by the way

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SanPedroShooter View Post
    Looks like Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde.

That's a huge compliment by the way
    Pretty sure she's a grandma several times over by now. She was a Los Angeles girl in the 60s.

Dutch - who once w*rked @ 16th & San Pedro in L.A. in the early 70s.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Lizard the bullet is the Lyman 314299 , I didn't weigh them but I'd say hundred ninety grains plus .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast