RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brass you won't reload?

Banned

Trouble with GFL 380acp brass in a loadmaster shell plate but not in my super 1050 dillon.

S&B in any pistol caliber goes in the scrap bucket. There are just too many other kinds out there to screw around with it.

Banned
    I have been happily beating the snot out of 500 pcs of 357MAG S&B brass for 3 re-loadings now, so that makes it 4X fired....never seen an issue with it....heck I would call it good stuff....must have got a good batch.

Boolit Master
    I have broken decapping pins mostly on Fiocchi and PMC. S&B I have to separate out to open up the primer pockets. Can't speack for the Amerc as I have never seen any.

On Heaven's Range

I know this might not be the place....I have a batch of a hundred or so SuperVel 45Acp I won't reload any more.

Mr. Ed
    The only good cast boolit is the one that hits the target

Boolit Grand Master

On advice received on this forum, I haven't tried to load any a-merc, but the S&B get used just like any other.
    I've successfully done lots of things, before finding out they were impossible. Guess I'm just happy in my ignorance.

Boolit Master

A-merc is the worst brass I've ever seen. I do have a box where I drilled the flash holes out, and I screw around popping primers with those rubber X-ring bullets.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Aquila 40 S&W not to good of pic but this is the base only, upper brass not there. Uncle brought me some range pick-up and this was in it. Glad I wasn't around this one when it went boom. Upper brass was torn from base.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1787.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	96422
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

S&B for priming issues and sizing issues. I can always tell when it's a piece of S&B because it takes more pressure to resize them. Not worth the extra effort to fix the primer pockets or anneal pistol brass. It goes straight into the scrap bin. Don't get me wrong. If it's all I had I would make it work. But I've had to many issues w/ it.

I discard any 40sw Federal plated. I have seen much of it crack when resizing.
    "The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed" — Ayn Rand

Boolit Bub
    up here in Canada S&B is very poor brass to reload. I put this stuff in the brass scrap bucket any shell that resizes hard is junked also. I reload 7.62x54r for a friend and I find the primer pockets are a bit tight on this brass.

Boolit Bub
    Wolf gold in 7mmRM is ****..in my experience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    On advice received on this forum, I haven't tried to load any a-merc, but the S&B get used just like any other.
    I've successfully done lots of things, before finding out they were impossible. Guess I'm just happy in my ignorance.
    Let me qualify that by saying I don't have a wealth of brass, and swaging the primer pocket isn't a big deal. I also trim the flash hole on all brass not previously reloaded.
    If I were dealing with many thousands, I might be more picky.

amerc is horrible, pmc is bad, and S&B 45 is good stuff. I'm surprised by the responses. I like it.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Buddy

Cracked, crushed or berdan primed!

Boolit Master
    I dont load much pistol but for .223 pmc brass is good stuff. I was leary about it at first so I only loaded it in my slow fire ammo for highpower, but It gave me no problems and I just put it in the mix, even saved up enough of it to load my 600yd ammo. Its currently on its 8-9th firing.
    S&b brass tends to crack at the neck, which is a shame because it looks like good brass and comes in odd calibers for which there is no american counterpart. I eventualy started annealing the necks of all S&B brass after its first firing before resizing, after than it seems do be doing fine but I have not reloaded any past about 3-4 times. This also aplies to Privi Partisian brass.
    Federal brass has a reputation for being soft, and I agree. It is however thick, thich enough that if your shooting at max loads, you might start seeing pressure signs and expanded primer pockets. Some people wont use it, I do, but dont push the limits.
    Lastly I have some Igman 6.5x55 ammo that upon reloading, was breaking decapping pins. I found that the flash hole was undersized. I made a drill to drill it out to the proper size then decap and re size, other than that its fine.
    There is not much brass that is not reloadable.

Boolit Master

Probably should clarify my opinion on S&B brass I had some in .357 for some test loads and the flash hole is way off but they reload fine. I just think their quality control is sketchy like was said above could just be some bad batches out there. Now the A-mercs I have encountered was not just from being fired in loose or unsupported chambers the primer pockets seem shallow I can swage them and make them work just too much work not enough reward. One correction on my statement I do throw a-mercs right in a scrap can but it is a can I know I can dig through if I am desperate just to dang cheap to toss them permanently. Huh I cheap &&S reloader who woulda thought LOL. FB

Boolit Master
    I won't use any cases that are split/cracked, Berdan primed or steel.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    I will also gladly dispose of any 7.62X54 S&B Brass you might have laying around.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Found a piece of belted 20mm brass out on an old military range here I do not think I will get to. Have used it for a brass hammer a couple times and it is holding up well.
    As tough as it is here to come up with any componet I only pitch berdan stuff. Every thing else can be salvaged and made usable.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast