MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Military Surplus Rebore

Boolit Master

Military Surplus Rebore

Do you have to remove the barrel from the action to rebore? I'm thinking about making a 35 cal Mosin Nagant but I've read it's difficult to separate the barrel from the receiver without damaging the barrel.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A gunsmith who knows his trade can pull the barrel. On M1917 US Enfields and others which can be difficult to pull, you take a parting tool and make a narrow cut just ahead of the receiver ring, relieving the stress at the barrel shoulder, and the barrel will then unscrew easily. You then set the barrel back a thread or two when you rechaber.

Boolit Master
    I sort of figured the barrel would have to be pulled. That much labor would make it cost prohibitive for an old Mosin. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I spoke with JES reboring about their .35 Russian about 6 months back, a .35 wildcat of the 7.62x54r. They will not rebore a MN military barrel for it though. Only Winchester 1895's or something with a commercial barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    I spoke with JES reboring about their .35 Russian about 6 months back, a .35 wildcat of the 7.62x54r. They will not rebore a MN military barrel for it though. Only Winchester 1895's or something with a commercial barrel.
    Hmmm, I wonder if that extends to ALL milsurp rifles or just Soviet stuff??? I've traded for a nice little Mauser in .308. I haven't picked it up yet so I don't know who made it but I imagine it's spanish or mexican. I was contemplating having it rebored to .358 winchester.

Boolit Master
    I spoke with Jess recently about boring a Turkish Mauser. He didn't say anything about it except I wanted 338 and he said it wouldent clean up 8mm.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live