Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anybody use a parts washer with your shot maker?

Anybody use a parts washer with your shot maker?

I just got a Littleton Shot Maker and was thinking about what infrastructure I should put together for it. It occurred to me that a parts washer might be a good base component. They're strong enough to hold lots of weight, they have a tub holding 20 gallons of liquid, they have a liquid circulating system, and they have a safety lid which automatically closes in case of fire.

Seems to me there are two options:
    1. Install the shot maker on the tool shelf beneath the lid, in which case the whole thing can be closed when not in use.
    2. Install the shot maker outside the tub and modify the pump so the liquid level could be raised to the lid.

Harbor Freight has an all metal parts washer for $98, but there are other brands out there with similar designs.

I'm leaning towards option 1, but wanted to hear if anyone else had given this a try.

Boolit Buddy
    I would not put it in the enclosure, to much chance of getting water splashed into the lead. So go with #2, it is OK if the shot drops through the air down to the level of the liquid.

Boolit Buddy
    We've had a couple customer do what you are planning. Most built- added a 'shelf' the the back or side, cut the lip a bit to bring the ramp in and close to the surface of the liquid. There are a couple pictures- videos on youtube that show that design.
    How deep is the area you plan on dropping the shot into?
    How are you going to pull the shot out? Up and over the top, or a ball valve that let you drain the liquid and shot out at the same time , and catch the shot in a strainer??
    Please take a good look at the videos on youtube, so much can be learned from there on how not to do it and what is a good way to do it.
    If I started over I would have a constant flow system that allows me to capture the shot while recirculating the liquid back into the original drop tank......again great video out there, not mine, great info though. remember 1/4 inch mid air drop distance, no more!