Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what is best casting furnace

Boolit Mold

what is best casting furnace

I have a Lee 20 ibs pot now, but thinking of upgrading. Not sure what to get-Lyman, or RCBS. Opinions please.

Banned

Magma Engineering Master Pot

I like my lee pots but I have used RCBS and they Are as good as everybody says if I was to up grade I would not hesitate to get one, how many lee's can you buy for the price of one high dollar one.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I've never had or used a Lyman so can't comment on it. I have had an RCBS Pro-melt and a two Saeco's (models # 24 and #34) since 1978. Never had anything go wrong with any of them-ever. They just do their job. The Saeco's are long out of production, but the Pro-melt is still around and yes it costs a lot more than it ever did, but you have to make the call on what you want to own and drive (and afford). LLS

Boolit Master

Magma pot. Holds more(40 lbs) has more wattage(150), and has dual pour spout ability. Pretty much never drips, and if it does the nozzle can be cleaned with a pot full of molten lead. Wish I could afford 2 so that I didn't have to drain mine when I switch to pure lead for balls and such.

darkman, I assume you're talking bottom pour (you didn't say). If so, unless you're having problems with the Lee I can't see why you'd want to change. After all, if the pot is working, whatever the make, that's all that matters.

Unless you just want to spend some money (always good therapy ).

Moderator Emeritus
    I have two RCBS Pro Melts would never go back to Lee pots, they need constant fettling and the ergonomics are poor especially the height their 17lber needs to be raised to to see the spout. The Magmas are fine pots also the only reason I don't have any is I don't have the need for 40lb pots.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    I have a lee and like it. If yours is still working fine I would spend the money on other items. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    I have two RCBS Pro Melts would never go back to Lee pots, they need constant fettling and the ergonomics are poor especially the height their 17lber needs to be raised to to see the spout. The Magmas are fine pots also the only reason I don't have any is I don't have the need for 40lb pots.
    Just as with never going back to LEE pots if you ever use 40 pounds of all the exact same alloy, twin pour spouts, better heat control and faster warm up you would never go back.

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 01-28-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    +1 on the double spouts. I made a frame for my Magma pot fur use with hand molds and I love it. I think that casting by hand is more fun than with the Master Caster but if it is a long session the handle is easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    +1 on the double spouts. I made a frame for my Magma pot fur use with hand molds and I love it. I think that casting by hand is more fun than with the Master Caster but if it is a long session the handle is easier to use.
    OK, I'm a dumb***. Trying to figure what good double spouts are over my Pro-Melt. Somebody clue me in, please.

Boolit Grand Master

I really like my RCBS pot but recently had thermostat problems. The short story is RCBS changed suppliers for the thermostat and it now has a 50 degree on to off range that sucks. The boolits went from too cold to too hot. Tthe new RCBS pots are equipped with the same thermostat. I made a pid and it works great now.
    As posted up the thread the ergonomics are much better than the Lee.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
    OK, I'm a dumb***. Trying to figure what good double spouts are over my Pro-Melt. Somebody clue me in, please.
    Fill two cavities at the same time.

Much quicker casting tempo is possible.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, with a two, four, six, eight cavity mold two cavities are filled at the same time. Makes a two cavity like filling a one cavity, very handy & quicker.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I gotta get me one of those Magma pots. Heck, I'm still young enough for it to be a worthwhile investment.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I gotta get me one of those Magma pots. Heck, I'm still young enough for it to be a worthwhile investment.
    I'd sell you mine except Magma would sell you a new one for less than I would let mine go for.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup Solitaire View Post
    .... and a two Saeco's (models # 24 and #34) ... The Saeco's are long out of production, LLS
    I like my old very used SAECO a lot. It sat a while after it stopped working but after fixing the thermostat the old pot is working just fine. The 'fix' was mostly cleaning the contacts and metal parts then putting it all back together along with a new iron cord. You have to be very careful with the mica insulator pieces but it can be done. I'm sure the pid controllers are more accurate but I just watch a thermometer then leave the dial where it works best. Great for fishing weights too.

EdZ

Boolit Grand Master

I like my Pro-Melt a lot, but a Master Caster is on my wish list for this year. Like others have said, It just depends on your budget and what you want to drive. Lightman

May Liberty Increase!
    Magma has a 6-8 week lead time on the Master Pot. My wife ordered me one for Christmas!

Boolit Master
    Lyman does not make a bottom pour right now. As far as I can tell the Mag 20 is out of production and the Mag 25 won't appear until fall 2014, if then.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast