MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
PBcastco Titan Reloading

Thread: Help identify this old single barrel 12 gauge

Boolit Master

Help identify this old single barrel 12 gauge

My monther-in-law came to visit yesterday and brought me a surprise - 2 old single barrel shotguns . One is an Eastern Arms (Sears trade name) Stevens I think, but the other has me stumped. Can anyone identify the maker, age etc?

The only marking I can find is the word "Champion" very faintly on top of the barrel. I'm not much of a shotgun guy, but since these are family guns, I'd like to preserve them at least. Both are in rough shape and this one is obviously missing the trigger gurard. Its not really worth restoring, but I'd like to know what it is. Thanks guys.

Boolit Master

Champion:

(a) Trade name used by H.C. Squires on shotguns.
    (b) Trade name used by J.P. Lovell on shotguns.
    (c) Trade name used by the Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works on shotguns and inexpensive pocket revolvers.
    (d) Trade name used by the Norwich Arms Company on inexpensive pocket revolvers.

see

http://reloadingtips.com/reference/f...rade-names.htm
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info on trade names. Upon closer examination of the Champion, I found a monogram IJ on the pistol grip butt plate indicating it is from Iver Johnson. The Eastern Arms is a rebadged Stevens model 106. The Stevens is salvagable if I can fix a bad crack in the stock. The IJ has seen better days and will go into the corner.

There is a great way to fix the crack.... It is described in the following thread...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ined-with-Pics

You will need to spread it a touch, fill with something like gorilla glue. Close the crack and bind it with strong cord. Use a stick of wood and one it is bound insert the stick and twist it a few times similar to puttin on a tourniquet. Dont make it so tight that it dents the wood. Once it is set, you can release.... And continue the stock work.

AG

Boolit Master

Thanks, I'll read through that. On the Stevens the crack runs lengthwise along the stock retaining bolt hole where the wood is thin. I'll post a photo of it and the gun.

Boolit Master

Here is the other shotgun, branded Eastern Arms. I believe this is a Stevens model 106 in Sears & Roebuck clothing. This one is in better mechanical condition, but the buttstock has issues, the main one being a long crack down the side along the retaining screw hole. There are also chips missing where it joins the receiver and a stress crack there.

I plan to disessemble the action to de-rust, clean and lube it. I'd like to salvage and repair the buttstock if possible, then gently refinish the wood. I all ears on suggestions on how best to repair the cracks.

Thanks!

Boolit Master

Aca-glass epoxy with out the filler, force into crack and clamp. Clean upand forget about it cracking there again

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I shot my first quail as a ten year old with a shotgun like that. It was my grandfathers and he would use it when my father was a boy on the farm to shoot wild cattle with.

This was done by taking a paper shotshell,opening the end,pouring out the bird shot and replacing with a ball bearing! Yea rough living during the Depression in S.Georgia!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I'd almost be willing to bet that crack was caused by someone trying to get the stock screw loose with a "cheater" bar on the screw driver and got the screwdriver off center of the screw and split the side of the stock out. If you look at your last picture it looks like the wood is compressed as if it was pried against. I would focus on getting the screw out before being concerned with the stock. If you get it out great then your home free otherwise you spend time repairing the stock for nothing.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."