WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H110 & 296 gumming up in my Dillon measures...

Boolit Buddy
    I have the old dillon powder measures, they too won't work with 296/h110 I just used my hornady powder measure which measures these powers fine and manualy throwed the charges with with my dillon. I never loaded large amounts of ammo with these powders, just my full power hunting ammo, usually 100 or so rounds a year, and my solution worked fine.
    Its good to know dillon has updated the measures though, I may try to get a hold of them and have mine brought up to date.

I have the same problem with AA1680 and that includes the same problems in my RCBS powder measure/trickler. I wont even spin around, just stops.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I was able to draw file the stationary sides of the measure to decrease the clearance between the sliding bar and top of the measure to almost zero.
    How do you file something down and reduce the clearance? Filing removes metal, and if you file the outside of something, it gets smaller and if you file the inside of something it gets larger, so how does filing either one result in smaller clearance? Not trying to be a wise guy here, I just really don't understand what you did that resulted in a tighter fit between the bar and the hole it rides in.

Super Moderator

The new spacers have tightened thing up quite a bit. I have not tried H110 or 296 yet though, I have them set for rifle right now. I followed Love Life's advise and polished the funnels and bought some baffles. Been busy getting large stick powders to drop accurately.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, I have polished the interior of the measure (the funnel at the bottom of the plastic tube) and the area where it drops into the powder bar (but not the powder bar itself or the area in the body the bar slides in, as the last thing that thing needs is to increase the clearance even a little). I also run the UniqueTek baffles in my measures.

Still no response from Dillon. Maybe they'll get around to me in the coming week.

Boolit Grand Master

There have been some revisions to the powder bars over the years. I dont know how old your 550's are. Call Dillon and see if they can get you some new pieces. I havent had any issues with 296 in my fathers Dillon and I've gone through jugs of that stuff over the years.

Boolit Mold
    My RL550B is less than a year old, purchased new by me. My second powder measure is less than 3 months old. I did call Dillon but was informed I was "29th in queue", and after holding for about 15 minutes I was down to 24th in queue. I don't know about you, but I don't want to spend the whole day on hold waiting for them to get to me.

I emailed them via their web form and via straight email. No answer. I posted on their own forum. No answer.

I've had the same problem with LeverE, 231 & other fine powders in my RCBS. It actually becomes a hard cake in the cracks. Causes bridging when it breaks loose.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    Dillon gave me an RMA and I have sent the powder measure body and large powder bar back to them. Hopefully they can find a pair with less slop.

Boolit Mold
    I had sent Dillon just the lower part of my measure's body along with the large slide. Today FedEx showed up with an entire measure with both slides, and it appears the problem is fixed. The new lower body has a much tighter clearance with the slides. Thank you, Dillon!

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Is it just me...or is anyone else having this problem? These two very fine grained powders are causing me grief in my RL550 powder measures, causing them to stick and not throw properly. The last time I used 296 I ran a bunch of 30 Carbine and ended up having to completely disassemble and clean. It's getting all gummed up on the slide bar. I used graphite to lube it after cleaning and have had no problems...until I put some H110 in again.

Had this problem on my manual measure 450....a couple strips of scotch tape on TOP of the small powder bar spacer, this will "tighten" up the clearance between the powder bar and housing.....worked for me.....course you have to remember to cut out the powder drop hole..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12