MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rem Nylon 66's

Boolit Grand Master

Rem Nylon 66's

Did the gun show in Lincoln this weekend. One guy had a rack of Nylon 66's (old 22 semi autos) about 10 or more of them, with price tags of $450.00 or more (and some of them were pretty rough). If memory serves me right these new were under $50.00, and were by no means the most accurate 22's back then, compared to a lot of others on the market. Gun values at this show were for the most part someplace between out of this world and stupid. That said, it is currently a sellers market: obviously.

As a side note, there was little powder, almost no primers, no 22's in quantity (a couple of guys asking 12.50 or more for a few boxes of 50 rds), and with the exception of the most common of cals little brass, and what there was was pretty steep.
    1Shirt!:
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought one at a gun show some 25 years ago....I think I gave $60 at the time.

Though really ugly, it shoots great and is very light.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Last gun show I attended, I found a Nylon 66, with the black stock, for $180. The rifle was not in the best of shape, but I though the price was reasonable. No need or desire for another 66. The one I have has the Mohawk brown stock, purchased in 1973 from a buddy for $30. I agree with you, definitely not the most accurate .22 around. My kids liked to shoot it, because it was light, and recoil was minimal

Boolit Master
    Just cause they ask high prices does not mean tthey sell. He probally took most of them home.

Boolit Bub
    My dad's old Nylon 66 was my first rifle. Still have it along with his brother's 512 Sportmaster.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm willing to bet he still had that rack of Nylon 66's at the end of the show. I picked up a pair in the mid 80's for somewhere around 50 bucks each. You got to wounder where they come up with the prices that they want for a used no frills rifle like the Nylon 66. When I see prices like that I just chuckle and move on to the next table.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Around here they SELL "yes sell" for around $200 to $300, depending on condition.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    When they came out I could have bought one at a Rem reps price but did not.

It is PLASTIC, drop it and the stock will shatter is what I thought.

The retail price was about 1/2 of what my weeks check was at that time.

About 10 years ago my son saw one at Gander in Wausau Wi.

Problem was I live in Il so would have to wait 24 hours to take possession (Il law applied) so they shipped it to a store near me.

Total cost was $100.00 for a gun in just out of the box condition,not a scratch or mar anywhere.

About what I made in 1/2 a days work at the time.

Yes we must factor in inflation.

Mine shoots as good as I can.

A nice rifle for youngsters AND old reprobates.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    I had one and a guy wanted it and he offered me $425 I TOOK IT. He resold it for $555 still cant understand it

Boolit Grand Master

Nylons are now collectors items with ome of the rarer colours and models going for sky high prices. I have a fellow local who has a bolt action nylon that he wants $750 for.

Boolit Master
    The only real "collector's item" in the Nylon series is the chrome plated bolt action job. All the autoloaders are very common. But as a wise man behind a gun show table told me once, "Last week's socks are now 'Collector's Items.''

Remington had improved the Tenite plastic enormously by the time the Nylon 66 came out. They still had to do a lot of "torture test" advertising to overcome the reluctance in the market, which still remembered the shatter-prone Tenite stocks on the Stevens rifle/shotgun combos.

The Nylon's selling point was that it could live in the trunk of a car or the bilge of a canoe without any functional problems. Strictly a working tool.

In Remembrance

Back in the mid `60`s a friend and I would shoot up the rat population at the town garbage dump when it was pushed back with a grader dozer. He had a Rem. 552 BDL and I had a Rem. 550-A. We really were bad news to the rats. One day another guy was trying to shoot up the rats with a Nylon 66. He couldn`t hit a bull in the a$$ with that thing! We swapped off with him and he was hitting rats nicely with our rifles. We on the other hand had to contend with the wandering zero of his 66 and soon swapped it back to him. That soured me on ever getting one of those things. Soon after I started buying 10/22`s and have never looked back.Robert

Boolit Master
    I paid $35 for mine way back when that's what they were selling for. My boys really gave it a work out when they got old enough to shoot it, I'm not sure how many rounds fired in it. Guess would be about 60K. I don't ever remember a failure to feed, fire or eject. It still looks as good as new as it never got beat around, just spent a lot of time on the tin can range behind the barn. It has certainly earned its position of retirement in the safe along with the other retirees. Good little rifles but I never dreamt I would see them sell for the prices they are bringing. But then again I never dreamt my model 42 Winchester could sell for the prices they bring, another one on retirement row in the safe.

Boolit Master

Judas priest, what's mine worth!!??¿¿

It's a 6 round mag fed brown plastic stock with a white diamond in the forearm and a black tip. I was told at one time that not many of that configuration were made.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Judas priest, what's mine worth!!??¿¿

It's a 6 round mag fed brown plastic stock with a white diamond in the forearm and a black tip. I was told at one time that not many of that configuration were made.
    That sounds like mine, but it says "77" on it. I was told the 66s are tube feed, the ones with a magazine are later models. I don't know that it's a fact. Anyone know either way?

Boolit Master
    If I remember correctly, the 77's were like a lever action. It's my understanding if you have a 66 with the green stock, those are the ones worth some money

Boolit Grand Master

The model 66 was introduced in 1959.

The model 77 was introduced in 1970 so you have a youngster there.

Boolit Master

My dad has the lever action with a Nylon stock. I can't remember the model number, but it is not a 66. My 77 is a semi-auto.

I've got one with the plastic stock that's a bolt action. I'd have to dig it out to see the model number.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AkMike View Post
    I've got one with the plastic stock that's a bolt action. I'd have to dig it out to see the model number.
    WARNING Plastic stocks shatter in the Alazka kold.

Better ship it to me for exercise and safe storage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast