MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What should I do with this lead?

Boolit Man

What should I do with this lead?

I am in the sailboat repair business and end up scrapping boats on occasion. I have always sold the lead keels at my local metal recycler. Am I crazy to think about melting and casting into ingots, start casting for my 9mm and 45 and selling the rest? I have a pretty good supply of junk boats coming through. Seems to me soft lead ingots are selling around $1/lb + shipping. That is about double what my yard is willing to pay. I would like to try casting, but don't know how to start. I currently have a 3000lb keel. Where do you start with a chunk of lead that big? Can an acetylene torch be used to melt it into small enough pieces to fit in a pot? Assuming I manage to cast some ingots, how do I know what kind of lead I've got. I think its mostly pure lead(dents easily with a hammer), but don't know enough about it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Fred

You're just teasing us? Right?
    You're sitting on a grail.

A torch will work and the puddles can all be re-melted. A chainsaw will cut keels. The chips should be saved.

Band saw works good.

Boolit Buddy

If your in SW FL i'll come over and help you cut it up,i'll even buy a chainsaw.

Boolit Master
    Get it hoisted up in the air with a crane and I can back my truck under it. Problem solved.

Seriously, for that kind of weight people will drive the distance if the price is right.
    You can use the proceeds to buy tin and antimony for your casting alloy.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

You might as well get some gold spray paint. I would love to have a few hundred pound chunks!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Chainsaw off a small piece.
    Test the hardness with a cabin tree tester.
    Test it for zinc with HCl.
    Post it for sale or trade on the forum
    PROFIT

And if you are in VA I can help.

Boolit Man
    Lots of good replies, Thanks everyone. I will try the torch trick. I have used a chainsaw on lead and it kinda sucks. I am curious as to how long it will take to melt off 5 lbs or so. I will have some time in the next couple of days so will try it.
    Here is the beast.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keel.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	94765
    I am going to have a lot of questions. Obviously need a hardness tester. Advice on a casting pot please.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Boolit Mold
    Typically keels are alloyed. If you can scratch it with you fingernail it is considered soft lead and close to pure. I'll jump on the bandwagon and put me down as interested in some, possible pickup. As for a lead pot use an old 20lb propane tank or I think you can buy one already made from someone on this forum.
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
    ~ Isaac Asimov

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Relsom View Post
    Typically keels are alloyed. If you can scratch it with you fingernail it is considered soft lead and close to pure. I'll jump on the bandwagon and put me down as interested in some, possible pickup. As for a lead pot use an old 20lb propane tank or I think you can buy one already made from someone on this forum.
    The old propane tank is a great idea and I have several. Is there a reliable way to install a spigot and make it bottom pour?

Boolit Buddy

Go rent an electric jackhammer with a chisel bit........
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Buddy

I bought a keel balast that weighed 1683 lbs. I used a oxy/act torch to cut knotches in it so a chain would not slip off. Used a chain hoist to hang in the air, made a smelting pot out of 16in scrap pipe with a i/4 in plate welded on the bottom and four legs of angle iron, calculated the volume , would hold 500lbs of lead. Just used my cheap harbor freight weed burner to melt, propane cheaper than oxy/act, made ingot molds of 3in channel x 6 in long. These ingots weigh about 7 lbs and fit upright in my lee 20 lb pot. This balast tested sb 1.29 pb 98.29. This is how it worked for me.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    I bought a keel balast that weighed 1683 lbs. I used a oxy/act torch to cut knotches in it so a chain would not slip off. Used a chain hoist to hang in the air, made a smelting pot out of 16in scrap pipe with a i/4 in plate welded on the bottom and four legs of angle iron, calculated the volume , would hold 500lbs of lead. Just used my cheap harbor freight weed burner to melt, propane cheaper than oxy/act, made ingot molds of 3in channel x 6 in long. These ingots weigh about 7 lbs and fit upright in my lee 20 lb pot. This balast tested sb 1.29 pb 98.29. This is how it worked for me.
    Great info - Thanks!

I melted a piece of the keel and ended up with piece about 1 1/2" diameter. It is pretty soft, can be scratched with a finger nail. I have a buddy that will test it tomorrow.

Your 3" channel molds are a great idea. I found some 3" and enough other scrap to put together a 12" diameter smelting pot.

Thanks,
    Fred

Phoenix is a vender here, I have bought led from him if you make moulds you should make them and package it like he does It mails better and the post office don't beat them up as bad he does them the right size and weight for the free boxes from US mail, I bought some of his moulds I will measure and show a pic if he don't chime in but he might not be around right now. I don't think he dose it in the winter. It's my bed time.

Boolit Master
    wow, you hit the mother load and dont know what to do with it
    You got some good advice and you're sittin' on a pile 'o money if you cant use it all

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    wow, you hit the mother load and dont know what to do with it
    You got some good advice and you're sittin' on a pile 'o money if you cant use it all
    It is great advice and certainly appreciated. I just needed a little nudge to get this project going. I have handloaded for years, but never got into casting. This keel got me thinking about casting. But to a noob like me, turning a big chunk of lead into a bunch of little chunks is a bit daunting. With the advice I got here I am pointed in the right direction and ready to proceed.

In Remembrance
    I second the tip to build your ingot molds to just fit the flat rate mail boxes. if they fit right you can get enough weight in a small flat rate that it works out just as good to ship two of them instead of a medium, and the post master is happy too. Plus you gain the customers that want to buy a little at a time.

Sacrificial anodes are made of Zinc so it's highly unlikely the keel weight is anything but pure lead. I grew up on the Chesapeake and all the keels I ever heard of were pure lead. Goose and Duck decoy anchors were cast from old sailboat keels. You gotta gold/lead mine

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	95033 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	95034

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	95035

Roughly 25lb in a box of led, one mould is a box. There is a art to doing it and getting a clean alloy, This is the way I order my led I bought several of these moulds for when I have time to do some of my own. I like a custom alloy it cost more.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	95033 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	95034

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	95035

Roughly 25lb in a box of led, one mould is a box. There is a art to doing it and getting a clean alloy, This is the way I order my led I bought several of these moulds for when I have time to do some of my own. I like a custom alloy it cost more.
    Sweet!
    Nice looking molds and I have a lot of scrap channel iron. Both work and weather have delayed my smelting project. I did get a chance to start on the pot. It's an old 20lb propane cylinder with 1/4" plate bottom.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast