RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruined my mold, need a new one

Boolit Mold

Ruined my mold, need a new one

Hello,
    I ruined my Lee 158 round flat mold yesterday. I believe I had it too hot and the bullets were stuck in the mold. After tapping it (I tapped too hard), my mold no longer closes correctly. I still cast a bunch of bullets, to get the hang of things, but they are not good as the mold will not close completely and the bullets are stuck together.

Now, I am in the market for a new mold. Before I purchase one, I would like to ask: Is it normal for people to tap bullets out of their molds? Should the bullet drop free when you open it? If I spend more money on a steel mold, will it be more likely that I get a mold that will drop bullets freely without having to tinker with burrs and such (assuming I do my part with mold and lead temperature)?

Please feel free to be harsh with your criticism of my rough treatment of my mold. Let me know what you think. I read about the process before attempting it, I just didn't do a good job and ended up ruining my first mold.
    Thank you

Boolit Bub
    You shouldn't tap (or hit) the mould blocks! If you have to knock them out, then hit on the handle hinge bolt.

Some of the more experienced here will point you in the right direction for getting the mould to drop the boolits properly, I'm sure.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

You figured out not tapping the mould. Tap the handles if needed to get stubborn boolits to drop free. If boolits are consistently sticking, you need to work on the mould.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Sometimes disaster is part of the learning curve. No harsh criticism here.

If the mold is reluctant to drop it's boolits you may consider a couple of remedies. First off, never hit the blocks themselves, you already know why. Apply the mallet only to the handle hinge to jar things loose. Many folks lap their mould or "leement" it. That involves deburring the new cavity and polishing. Search the term here for better descriptions. Also keep a couple of wooden kitchen matches handy. Smoke the cavity with a match or a butane lighter to help with release.

Temerature is very important to getting boolits to drop. Mould temp and melt temp. I tend to cast at 700-750 with my bottom pour furnace becasue that is where I get my best results. Once a mould is up to temperature, it should drop its castings easily. I discard the first 15 castings to warm the mould before I get into a run of good boolits.

Hope this helps!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 359caliber View Post
    Hello,
    I ruined my Lee 158 round flat mold yesterday. I believe I had it too hot and the bullets were stuck in the mold. After tapping it (I tapped too hard), my mold no longer closes correctly. I still cast a bunch of bullets, to get the hang of things, but they are not good as the mold will not close completely and the bullets are stuck together.

Now, I am in the market for a new mold. Before I purchase one, I would like to ask: Is it normal for people to tap bullets out of their molds? Should the bullet drop free when you open it? If I spend more money on a steel mold, will it be more likely that I get a mold that will drop bullets freely without having to tinker with burrs and such (assuming I do my part with mold and lead temperature)?

Please feel free to be harsh with your criticism of my rough treatment of my mold. Let me know what you think. I read about the process before attempting it, I just didn't do a good job and ended up ruining my first mold.
    Thank you
    Inspect them sometimes you get lead in weird places and they don't close. I broke my lee 1oz slug mold a few days ago luckily a new one is only 20.00 I should get it tomorrow. The little rivet broke but I figure I got a couple k slugs out of it so screw it lol.

If the bullets don't drop easily with a whack or two I will burn them with a lighter giving a black layer to it, if the mold isn't hot enough they don't like to leave either. I have steel molds and lee molds, the steel are nice but the little lee cheapies work fine if ya take care of them. And tap the bolt on the mold handles, I don't even tap the plate I move it by hand (I think some are very against this).

Oh another thing I do that it's probably not advised is keep a moist rag by me if the plate opens too easily I'll hold the plate to the rag for a few seconds and if the lead isn't shinny I'll turn down the heat and hold the bottom of the mold to the rag for a few seconds.

Anyways see what others do I probably am doing it wrong but I get purdy bullets.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Grand Master

May not be "ruined"......

Was it with the older "V" alignment groves or the newer ones with pins?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Thank you gentlemen, for your advice. My first ten bullets dropped okay, after that, I am pretty certain I overheated my mold and things got sticky. Sounds like I may get another Lee mold and be more intelligent about the way I treat it.

Boolit Mold
    it's a newer mold with pins. I was looking at it this morning and it is definitely ruined.

Boolit Buddy
    it's a newer mold with pins. I was looking at it this morning and it is definitely ruined.
    Can you post a pic? I'm just interested on what a ruined one looks like,, atleast it was a lee
    Hope for change.

Boolit Master

Why do you believe that you got the mold too hot? Lee's can be run very hot! You say it is definitely ruined. Why so?

Boolit Master
    I have dunked Lees for over a minute, blasted them with propane torches, set them over gas burners, and cast so fast the handles got charred, without hurting them. Definitely post some pix.

Boolit Bub
    Might just be a bent handle.

Boolit Grand Master

Pictures of the "damaged" mould would be good. As already stated, you may have some lead splashes on the faces or possibly some repairable damage/burrs/dings that can be removed and the mould salvaged. I realize a Lee mould is quite inexpensive but I am cheap and I don't like to throw out anything that is relatively easily repairable.

Even if the mould is damaged beyond repair, some photos of the cavities may reveal why the boolits were sticking in the first place. Lee moulds often have burrs around the cavities that will cause boolits to stick. By "Leementing" you can clean up a mould and have it casting well with very little effort:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ost-Revisited)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ture-diameters

Now that you are armed with more knowledge, check over your damaged mould and maybe even use it for practice then when you get your new mould take a close look at it and if there are burrs or other minor issues, Leement as required.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I was also thinking of bent handles.

Boolit Grand Master

Where did you hit the mold and what did you hit it with? There may just be a "burr" or high spot raised by the blow that's keeping the mold from closing completely. You could lightly "draw file" the mating surfaces to remove any high spots (note I said lightly).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I was thinking that the locator pins might have backed out a little.

Boolit Buddy
    After having the pins move on a couple 6 cavities,the first thing I do anymore with a new one is to set them with a punch.

Boolit Grand Master

If the pins have backed out (?) that can be easily fixed. If the locator holes have been battered from the pins hitting the edges (?) that also can be easily remedied.

Picture(s) would be nice?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dmize View Post
    After having the pins move on a couple 6 cavities,the first thing I do anymore with a new one is to set them with a punch.
    I've got an hp mould that has a pin that likes to fall out, it's a pain no matter how careful i am I drop it at least once per cast session then have to search for it, pick it up with pliers and put it back in the hole, one day I won't find it and have to replace the mould, it's a newer custom mould too
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    There is no reason to beat on a mold, but glad you were on a practice mold.

Once it is up to temp everything can be worked with your hands, including sticky bullets, just lift them out with your finger on the base of the bullet.