Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redding Profile Crimp Dies

Redding Profile Crimp Dies

I load all my pistol ammo on a Lee Classic Cast 4-hole turret press. I bought the Lee 4-die sets for each caliber. I have never liked the Lee factory crimp carbide handgun die.

I like the Redding Profile Crimp die design. It's a combination of taper crimp and roll crimp with an interesting crimp angle. Anyway, I replaced all the Lee crimp dies with Redding Profile Crimp dies. For .45acp, I bought a Lee taper crimp die.

Does anyone else here use the Redding Profile Crimp die? If so, Why do you feel it's a better die?

TIA
    Last edited by enfieldphile; 01-25-2014 at 02:24 PM.

I use them from time to time but don't think they are superior to roll or taper crimp dies. When they first came out, I bought a full set, but don't use them often any more.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    They are my goto die for heavy recoil stuff. It's a combo die.

Better die???

Can't answer that as I use what works for me.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master
    I have some, they work well. I use Lee factory crimp dies for rifle stuff and Redding crimp dies for some handgun rounds. Then again, I use other crimp dies for some handgun rounds too.

Get a good, consistent crimp and the die used doesn't matter.

Boolit Grand Master

My .44 Magnums and .357 Magnums get a profile crimp. While I haven't compared a standard roll crimp to a profile crimp , side by side, the profile crimp seems to "hold" better with a lighter/less crimp than a roll crimp. Anyway, I prefer the profile over the roll crimp...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I use one for my .45 Colt loads, and will probably buy one for .44 Mag/Spl as well. Is it "better" than anything else available? I dunno; it works, and that's all I care about.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I use one for most of my 32-20 stuff. The LEE and Hornady dies that I have do a crappy job of crimping in my opinion. The Redding die not only leaves a better looking crimp but it has also proven to be more accurate for my use. JW

Perhaps the use of "better" was a poor word choice on my part.

I have them all installed. I like how the Redding die not only leaves a better looking crimp, but no noise or "clunk" feeling (like the Lee crimp die) as the round enters or exits the die.

Actually, I first got a Redding Profile Crimp die specially for .45AR a few years back. I really like the way it worked and how it finished the rounds. Recently, I decided to upgrade all my sets (w/ the exception of .45ACP, which I got a Lee Taper crimp die) to the Redding Profile Crimp dies.

Actually, I don't know why Lee doesn't package a Taper crimp die with .45ACP die sets.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I use one for my .45 Colt loads, and will probably buy one for .44 Mag/Spl as well. Is it "better" than anything else available? I dunno; it works, and that's all I care about.
    Last edited by enfieldphile; 01-27-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: add data

Boolit Buddy
    Redding Profile Crimp die is all I use on handgun ammo, I buy the Redding Pro Titanium sets and add a Lyman "M" die for case mouth expansion. Never have any problems with my crimp letting bullets move under recoil.

Boolit Master

YES ! i have the redding PCD for 357&44 mag & 454 casull

Boolit Grand Master

I have one for .44 Mag, but can't really see a whole lot of difference between it
    and the regular roll crimp.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I was always under the impression that the PCD was primarily intended for crimping jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    I was always under the impression that the PCD was primarily intended for crimping jacketed bullets.
    I used mine back in the 80s. Used one for heavy for cast boolit applications where the cylinder could tie up if it jumped the crimp

I have them for 357, 44 and 45 Colt. Honestly though, having to lube them with a q tip every few rounds put me off them and now I just use Lee carbide crimp dies. I would really like to hear if anyone has long-term experience with them without lubing them.
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

I have the Redding profile die for .357 an like it. Better? When I'm crimping lubed boolits I don't worry about any more lube than what just gets on there naturally. If I'm crimping Powder coated boolits I dab a little Imperial wax lightly on the crimp area of the case about every five or six rounds. Works for me. GP

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I have one for .44 Mag, but can't really see a whole lot of difference between it
    and the regular roll crimp.

Bill
    Do you lube it Bill?
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Boolit Master
    While Redding are my fav. dies hands down, I don't believe anyone needs a special die to crimp when a standard die set has a seating die that crimps as well. Progressive presses may require some such but I stay away from progressives as I believe that they are the main cause of double charges and/or kabooms.

Boolit Master

I have several Redding Profile Crimp dies and like the resulting finished product for 32-20, 38, 357, 45C. That make them better for me, YMMV. The other dies did not work as smoothly and the crimps were harder to adjust. Never tried the Lee handgun dies.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Honestly, I have never lubed a Profile Crimp die, nor heard of any need to do so...

Later; I reread all the previous posts and two "hinted" at lubing a Profile Crimp Die, with no explanation. So, who lubes their crimp die and why?
    Last edited by mdi; 03-31-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    having to lube them with a q tip every few rounds put me off them and now I just use Lee carbide crimp dies.
    All crimp dies are steel. The Lee FCDs have carbide rings, only for the post-sizing part of what they do. The part that puts on the crimp is steel, like any other die.

So far, I have never had to use lube for any crimp die, but the RPCD might benefit because of the larger surface area? I would maybe try polishing the die with some buffing compound to see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast