MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Ruger American in 223

Ruger American in 223

Anybody had a chance to look at or shoot one of the new Ruger American's in 223 Rem? I am happy with the 270 Win Ruger American I bought and am thinking I might want one in 223.

BB

Boolit Master
    Not .223 but a buddy of mine recently got one in .22-250 that hes very pleased with.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    Love my .308s. I want the 223 and 22mag versions.

I love the compact version the only negative is there is some scuttle bit about 75g AMAX won't fit the rotary mag. Largest I've shot are 65s so not sure.

If you're looking for a cast boolit shooter. I think the Rugers have a fast 1:8" twist. They list it on there site.
    Which would slow down your potential velocity. I went with a 222 with a 14 twist barrel for a 2,400 fps and up potential.
    Just picked it up last Monday and first trip out it shot 60 grain cast over 11.9gr 2400 great. Book says that's about 2350fps.
    Haven't been out in this storm to shoot since. That is a serious 200+ yard boolit gun with some smack down. Which is what I was personally looking for.

Looks like a fun Rifle to have how much did your 270 cost I still want a 22-250 if the price is wright I might think about one of these. http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-American.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I read somewhere that the .223 won't be available till March.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like they jacked up the twist on the 22-250 too, 1:10. IIRC the old twists were 223-12,22-250-14, 243-10
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I had the 223 in my hands yesterday. Both standard and compact

There are a few sellers trying to get 350 to 400 plus freight for the 223 American on GB. I would rather have the short barrel variety but the stock is also shorter so it might not work out for me.

Hate to admit it but it would be a jacketed shooter, at least for the next few years. I have a large inventory of handloaded 55 and 62g FMJBTs, military pulls mostly, that I loaded for my wife and shoot to shot in the 3 gun shoots. They both switched to 300 AAC Blackout, so I need something I like to shoot. I have an M4 but don't like to shoot it much, bolt gun is much more fun for me.

I paid $250 for the 270 Win American. It has the goofy digital navy camo on it which seems to be the firearm equivalent of being a redheaded stepchild.

BB

http://www.impactguns.com/zastava-m8...-ri1974-n.aspx

Ruger Americans are nice. However if you want a 12 twist 223 rifle there is the Zastava M85 for $430. I think these rifles and the CZ’s have a lot going for them. Real gun steel in the barrels for one thing. They’re made in several other calibers too.
    http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civili...ting-rifle-m85

Both are good looking guns what is the difference in twist to bullet weight, which likes what? Thanks for the link.
    Thanks
    Randy C

If the M85 had a 1:9 or 1:8 twist I would buy it in a heartbeat. I think the 1:12 is a bit slow for the 62g bullets I have loaded. The CZ 527s have the same 1:12 twist except for one of the high priced varmint models has, IIRC, a 1:9 twist.

BB

The top group is from a 1:12" twist 223 and 62 gr. psp. It shoots equally as well with 60 gr. v-max.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	94657

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a Ruger American Compact in 223 and it shoots 1/2 to 3/4 moa with Federal Premium Vital Shok 52Gn Speer HP (a special Australian loading I think). It had a few issues feeding the last round but someone here recommended leaving the mag loaded for a week or so and it hasn't missed a beat since.

The 1 in 8" twist barrel is a bit of a pain.

If you are out hunting be prepared to write off your brass as the ejector flings them further than other rifle I have ever owned (including my old Mini14).

It is a great little rifle, I love it. When I shoot the barrel out I will rebarrel it with a slower twist. I was toying with a 222, but given the way it chucks brass, the 223 may be more sensible.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Are these worth buying or passing up?

Saw where Howa has a new mini action for 223 and such. Three lug bolt short throw. They may have something there?
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln