MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Williams Peep Sight

Sometimes here, but never there (with apologies to Bud Abbott)

Williams Peep Sight

I was rummaging around my gun junk box yesterday, looking for some screws for my T/C (didn't find 'em) when I came across an older Williams FP9436 that was part of a grab bag given me by a friend years ago. The aperture is a bit rusty, and the wind-age adjusting screw lock screw is frozen (it's sitting in a jar of kerosene right now) and the two mount screws are missing (of course).

Where would I find a replacement aperture? The one I have appears to be a target aperture, and I would prefer a hunting one with a larger peep hole. What size(s) are these mount screws? I'm thinking of putting the sight on my Rossi 92, but I would have to remove the Puma emblem on the receiver first. Is this emblem just glued on? Will it hurt resale vale if it's missing? BTW, my 92 is in .44 Mag and it's a sweet shooter.
    Saddle

Boolit Master
    Assuming the new are interchangeable with the old, Midway has them. Don't know about your other questions although removing an emblem would reduce the future value significantly.

Apertures can be found at Midway, Brownell's and others retailers. I know of one gentleman hunter that removes his aperture and uses the threaded hole as a "ghost ring" type site.

I hole this helps,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

My preference is to just remove the aperture and use the threaded hole. Your eye will still automatically find the center of the hole and the ring will be a little blurred but it is just as accurate as the smaller apertures. After trying this you still want an aperture I recommend the large .150 or the Big Game aperture both by Williams. The Big Game looks like the Williams sight without the threads. The apertures are cheap enough that you can get other sizes and give them a try. Williams apertures sizes are .050, .093, .125, .150, Big Game, and empty threaded hole. The apertures come in black and Twilight. The Twilight has what looks like a brass ring around the hole to enhance low light conditions. A aperture used right is just as accurate as a scope and may be faster to use. Have fun with it.

Yep, just remove the aperture, leaving you with a "ghost ring" setup. That was common practice back in the day.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Due to the presence of the cat emblem you might want to consider the tang sight that Rossi makes for their rifles. Tho I have no experience with them, they are reported here to be quite effective, durable accurate and remarkably affordable. I believe the one you want is designed for a 22 pump. Others know more than I and hopefully they can fill in the blanks for me.
    You are talking "drill and tap" so why not drill one hole for the tang sight. Rossi's tang sight is relatively small and looks like a comfortable fit. Your Williams sight is quite saleable here so you can cut your costs too. I'm always looking for lever guns so having a good receiver sight in the drawer is a truly acceptable concept.
    Last edited by helice; 01-25-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Cam't spel

Quote Originally Posted by OKSaddletramp View Post

I came across an older Williams FP9436 that was part of a grab bag given me by a friend years ago. The aperture is a bit rusty, and the wind-age adjusting screw lock screw is frozen (it's sitting in a jar of kerosene right now) and the two mount screws are missing (of course).

Where would I find a replacement aperture? (The one I have appears to be a target aperture, and I would prefer a hunting one with a larger peep hole.) - You have it in your hand, just run a larger drillbit in from the front & reblue the aperture - I use the largest drillbit that'll fit inside the threaded stem, or entirely remove the aperture as a ghost ring).

What size(s) are these mount screws? - 6-48

I hope that helps...........................

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Just as Pietro wrote... drill it out. Then in the future if you want a smaller hole fill the hole you drilled with our favorite boolit material and redrill to whatever hole you think best. I have several sights that have been "adapted" to my desires several times.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Sometimes here, but never there (with apologies to Bud Abbott)
    Thx for all the help, guys. Since I don't want to ruin the receiver trying to pull the cat off, I'll save the Williams for something later. The Taurus tang sight looks very good, and I shouldn't have to modify the gun (permanently, anyway). But while looking for other tang sight options and spare apertures, I ran across a scope mount that appears to be a copy of a B-Squared type mount, that uses the hole in the Rossi receiver, for about the same money. This requires more thought than I'm used to.
    Saddle

Another peep sight should consider is the Skinner Sight. If your rifle is drilled and tapped for a scope sight the Skinner Sight will use those holes to mount the sight. It is also a good looking, strong, and not intrusive when it is on the rifle. Worth a look.

Boolit Mold
    Pm sent on this

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Those cat logo Pumas have something of a cult following. You may want to see if someone wants to make a trade with you.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.