Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long for Lee liquid alox to dry?

Boolit Grand Master

Cut with MS 50/50 and it goes on thin and dries quick. If you can easily see it, your using too much. It should barely leave a little golden color.

Boolit Buddy
    Dust the bullets with mica or powdered graphite after applying the mule snot. This will get rid of the tackiness.

Boolit Grand Master
    You used way to much. Just a little is all you need. If you have humid weather in the summer, you will have a gummy mess.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    You used way to much. Just a little is all you need. If you have humid weather in the summer, you will have a gummy mess. Put it on to thick and it never really dries.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus
    Never got liquid alox or xlox to dry, if I wanted them unsticky then I would toss them in cornflour.

It needs to go on very thin I cut it 50/50 with white spirit, the should just be a light golden hue on the boolit.

I mainly use 45/45/10 now from White Lable as that dries nicely, best to heat up the boolits when using it as it helps it flow and dry.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

I am glad I looked at this thread. My lla treated boolits are always tacky and brown. Going to adjust my tumble lube process now.
    Last edited by str8shot426; 02-02-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: add pic

Looks like you just made a mess with 500 bullets! That stuff is like cosmoline, it will never dry. It will simply get less messy over the years.

You can use oderless mineral spirits to clean them off and start over again with 45/45/10. Otherwise, you can simply bit the bullet and deal with the mess.

Never do a big batch of anything until you try out a small sample.

Wonder how come your Lee Alox doesn't dry. I Alox mine when still wet from the water bath. They dry hard. I'm scratching my hesd.
    "The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed" — Ayn Rand

I use 45/45/10, tumble them in an old margarine dish then pour onto wax paper sitting in front of a heating duct that has a 90 degree diverter so the hot furnace heat blow's over them the whole time.
    Nothing like coming home from work and opening the door to that smell!!

Boolit Master

It is an added step, but I melt some Johnsons paste wax with a hairdryer and then tumble lube the "sticky LLA bullets". Lay them out to dry. Seems to get rid of any stickiness.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    In my experience that **** never dries. Even when cut. I stopped using it!

Boolit Buddy

I use two VERY light coats, it dries hard, no mess. My first try I used too much and it didn't dry. Like the old commercial said "A little dab'l do ya."
    INFIDEL

Boolit Grand Master

Well i just used too much. One day and still tackey
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I have used lots of LLA and Xlox.

I am completely convinced they are exactly the same stuff.

I believe most people use way too much.

I put a blob about the size of two asprin tablets into a one quart zip lock bag with around 300 150 grain handgun bullets.

If your asprin tablets are different, this is a blob about 3/8ths inch across.

I started out cutting it 30% with mineral spirits. I no longer do that. I get better coverage, faster drying, and less tackiness if I use it straight.

On a normal Texas summer day, I can put it on the back porch in the sun and they will be totally dry and completely tackless in a couple of hours.

When the weather is not cooperative, I place them on the floor in my shop and blow a 12 inch rotary fan set on medium across them over night. At this point If I squeeze them HARD between thumb and finger I can feel a very slight stickiness. Not enough to make it stick to a tissue paper but enough to feel.

In no way would powder stick to the base of the bullet.

You can see my test results here:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_111201a_lla_test.htm

In the photo of three bullets, I want my pistol bullets to look like the one in the middle and my rifle bullets to look like the one on the right.

The above posts are correct about brown bullets. If you apply enough to turn them brown, they will NEVER dry.
    Last edited by williamwaco; 02-24-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I normally pan lube but I tried dip lubing on my new Lee 356-95 boolits today. I put LLA into a small dish with mineral spirits about 60/40. I mixed it up thoroughly to about the consistency and appearance of chocolate syrup. I dipped the boolits to cover a little above the grooves and then let them dry. Being used to conventional lubes and smearing straight LLA on boolits I was a bit worried that the thin golden coating was too thin but I guess not. What I don't like about tumble lubing is getting lube all over the ogive of the boolit so hopefully this will work well.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Checked the Boolits after church today and found that the LLA was almost completely dry on them. Has sort of a gummy consistency which is just fine in my experience. Went ahead and loaded up a box of them in 9mm, hope to try 'em out soon.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    mine seem to have a waxy feel, almost like a candle not necessarily "tacky" just waxy feeling; am I using too much? I used way too much the first time I TL'd they turned out BROWN and stayed tacky forever, thank goodness they've all been shot up. They made a mess of everything.

Love Life
    3,743 years.

I've loaded some the next day.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    3,743 years.
    Did the Egyptians use this stuff to lube the stone slabs and build the pyramids? I learn something new everyday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast