Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Krag receiver sight ??

Boolit Master
    Long shot question: Anybody happen to have an extra screw/clip thingamajig that clamps on the back side of the Redfield "NoDrill" sight. I have a minty sight, but missing that part. I can see a way to make one, but would rather not.

I bought it with the intent of using it on the Krag sporter (if I ever get it finished), but then I found a mint Lyman 48 and am going to mount it instead.

I have been told the the lower band swivel screw for the Krag, M1903 and M1 (all the same thread) will fit, but I have never tried it. Observant ones will notice that in my picture of the Redfield 102K sight, the mounting screw is a socket-head cap screw ... the originals were simple fillister head slotted screws. I found something that was "close", and then annealed the hell out of it. The hardened receiver than "forms" the screw threads to fit with no harm to the receiver threads. The one pictured has been removed and replaced several times; the original side plate screw still fits as it should.

Don't ask what size I started with, that will take some research because I just don't remember.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Quote Originally Posted by adrians View Post
    Don't have a clue Robert it was on the rifle when I got it, but now you mention it maybe someone will chime in and let us know.

It works great , that's all I can tell ya.
    Looks like a Timney Safety. Their 95 & 98 Mausers safety are of the same design. He ones I'm familiar with have a very small Allen head in stead of a slot screw. You may want to "Lock-Tite" the threads so that you don't loose the lever. Very nice rifle, by the way.
    I hope this helps,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    Uber, after reading this ^^^^^, I did exactly what you suggested , I Blue Loctited that little screw in good 'n' tight.

Thanks for the tip sir....
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UBER7MM View Post
    Looks like a Timney Safety. Their 95 & 98 Mausers safety are of the same design. He ones I'm familiar with have a very small Allen head in stead of a slot screw. You may want to "Lock-Tite" the threads so that you don't loose the lever. Very nice rifle, by the way.
    I hope this helps,
    IIRC, Timney bought the manufacturing rights to the safeties when Maynard Beuhler retired, or went out of business. Maybe from his estate?

Loctiting the screw is a good idea, the one that was on my 98a Mauser liked to back out.

Robert

I wondered why no one else bid on the Redfield 102K that I just bought on gunbroker. Mystery solved. The reason could be that it lacks the replacement screw with the screwy French thread that Char-Gar mentioned here.

Since this thread was last active, has anyone come up with a source for that odd-ball screw? I read the solution by Bob S, but am reluctant to use my Krag's receiver as a threading die. And, I'd really rather not pirate the screw off the barrel band, though the band probably would hold just as well with a nut and bolt of suitable dimensions.

Can anyone tell me the correct length of the replaced screw that holds the sight to the receiver?

edit: that screw doesn't have a standard METRIC thread, does it?

Thanks, PBSmith
    Last edited by PBSmith; 11-21-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    PBSmith,the screw from my Krag measures

screw shank .175 dia. x 26 TPI
    shank lenght .450
    thread lenght .375
    head dia. .240
    OAL of screw .575

I checked a stacking swivel screw from a 1903, it's .182dia. x 26 tpi, too long and a little oversized, if you have one maybe it will fit your receiver threads and you can shim it up till you find a proper length screw. Hope this helps, Jim

Boolit Grand Master

I used the screw that was in the magazine plate to mount the sight. If you need one could cut another one when the silly season is over.

[QUOTE=Gewehr-Guy;4209562]PBSmith,the screw from my Krag measures

screw shank .175 dia. x 26 TPI
    shank lenght .450
    thread lenght .375
    head dia. .240
    OAL of screw .575

I checked a stacking swivel screw from a 1903, it's .182dia. x 26 tpi, too long and a little oversized, if you have one maybe it will fit your receiver threads and you can shim it up till you find a proper length screw. Hope this helps, Jim[/Qhel

Thanks, Jim. Yes, your measurements help. The 10x24 thread size is close. I can understand how Bob got to this idea and why it worked. If nothing else surfaces, I might try it first in brass as a temporary solution.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I used the screw that was in the magazine plate to mount the sight. If you need one could cut another one when the silly season is over.
    KCSO, do you mean that you made a new screw that is longer than the issue screw in the magazine plate, or ???? I have the original screw from the plate, but it looks to me like the screw for attaching the Redfield 102K sight to the receiver will have to be about 1/8" longer. I can wait on the silly season if you are offering to make one. Thanks.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 11-21-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine fit it since I bought the gun sporterized I didn't measure it against a issue screw but I make my own screws all the time and metric is no problem. I just turned out a couple screws today for a set of French binoculars from the Civil War era. PM me with an address and I will let you know when I have one done. This goes with the sight.

Mine fit it since I bought the gun sporterized I didn't measure it against a issue screw but I make my own screws all the time and metric is no problem. I just turned out a couple screws today for a set of French binoculars from the Civil War era. PM me with an address and I will let you know when I have one done. This goes with the sight.
    PM sent. That's a Redfield 102K, not a 120 as I posted earlier. Yes, as I understand it, the sight originally came from Redfield with the longer screw, so if you have the same sight on your sporter, that's should be the same screw. Many thanks.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 11-22-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I apologise I thougt this was the guy who just bought a Krag sight from me, but if you PM I will still make you one when I get caught up.

Boolit Grand Master

Close but no cigar...the Krag was the last American rifle done with metric threads. This started with the copy of the Charleyville musket and carried through to the Krag. The 26 thread count is not quite right it is really 26.??? . If the threads are cut loose 26 will work for non critical applications. I would have to dig through my threading drawer to see what the actual thread size is. Not to worry on the plate screw as it is not stressed too much but I like to do them with the metric just to be right.

Boolit Master
    KCSO, I'm the one who recently bought a sight from you,I haven't mounted it yet so didn't know it was missing.Let me know when you make them, I'll buy a couple of them. Do you go to the Yankton gun show?

I apologise I thougt this was the guy who just bought a Krag sight from me, but if you PM I will still make you one when I get caught up.
    No, I bought mine from a man in Wisconsin.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 11-22-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I recently inherited a sporterized 1896 with a Redfield micrometer receiver sight. The bottom of the peep bracket sits less than 1/4 inch above the extractor. Is there a way to remove the bolt without moving the sight?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Stone Bob View Post
    I recently inherited a sporterized 1896 with a Redfield micrometer receiver sight. The bottom of the peep bracket sits less than 1/4 inch above the extractor. Is there a way to remove the bolt without moving the sight?
    Just remove the slide, and yes it has to be gotten out of the way to get the bolt out. No need to remove the whole sight.

I bought one at auction that came with "a screw"- not even close! LUCKILY I found a bolt with a correct thread and shoulder location. I just had to do surgery on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The band screw from an 03 Springfield will work but will need a bit of shaping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast