Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Krag receiver sight ??

Boolit Master

Krag receiver sight ??

I have a 98 krag rifle that I really like but my old eyes don't work well with the sights anymore. All of my other iron sighted rifles wear a fiber optic front and Williams aperture rear.

I can't find anything listed in Brownells or midway for a krag. I know someone made them at one time but is anyone making them now?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    PM sent

Receiver sights for the Krag rifle were made by Pacific, Rice, Redfield, Lyman, Williams and some others. They are available on Ebay if you keep an eye peeled for a time.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    I have a 98 krag rifle that I really like but my old eyes don't work well with the sights anymore. All of my other iron sighted rifles wear a fiber optic front and Williams aperture rear.

I can't find anything listed in Brownells or midway for a krag. I know someone made them at one time but is anyone making them now?
    As far as i know williams still makes 5D and Midway has themhttp://www.midwayusa.com/product/957258/williams-5d-krag-receiver-peep-sight-american-krag-aluminum-black
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Probably not much help, but my Krag has a Redfield receiver sight on it.

My grandmother bought the Krag for gramps in 1950. I remember the "serious" hunters chuckling at him for using the old war horse to hunt deer. It was always a very cool rifle in my eyes, and he got plenty of meat for the table over the years. Twenty years after grandpa died, my dad showed up with the Krag and gave it to me. I had no idea that dad even had it all those years.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    My sporter has a Pacific peep and I have a rice BUT it's missing the small mounting nut 'n' screw.

I haven't looked real hard for them but I'm sure I could make something work if I ever need to mount the peep on the bolt,, neat little gizmo's them rice peeps..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails krag 026.jpg   krag 024.jpg   rice 004.jpg  
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Ditto on the Leroy Rice peep sight. Simple, streamlined, effective. But they are long out of print. They appear from time to time on Ebay, Gunbroker etc.
    kootne

Boolit Master
    Google Gary Fellers, and check out what he has to offer. I believe the redfield sights for the Krag used the "NO DRILL" words as they used one of the screws for the sideplate on the left hand of the receiver. Frank

Boolit Master
    Redfield replaces cut off, use same screws on the Krag.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Redfield replaces cut off, use same screws on the Krag.

Jon
    The Refield Krag sight uses a longer screw to replace the factory screw that hold on the magazine side plate. The threads on these screws are some weird French thread and can't be bought. However the barrel band screw is of the correct size and thread and can be adapted to hold the Redfield in place. However this means buying a barrel band with the screw and they are getting up their in price. What you have left is a barrel band with no screw, which has little value. Folks that looking to buy one, want the screw also.

Bottom line: If you buy a used Redfield, make certain the screw comes with it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I think Mr Peabody has me one on the way. It does appear that Midway has them now. I haven't looked in a while and I have trouble finding stuff on their website. I have no problem drilling and tapping and when I get something with an oddball screw I usually just tap it out the the next biggest screw I can get.

Adrians, does your bottom pic mount on the cocking piece?
    Thanks for all the response guys, Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Redfield 102K sight.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	94395
    Redfield 102K no drill sight.

Boolit Master
    Wolfer, Yes the rice sits on the extractor bar .

The pin which holds the extractor in is replaced with a small screw which secures the peep to the bar and a matching nut will hold it there, the other small threaded hole near the aperture is for another screw which will allow you to set elevation and then the side screws will "lock " it in place.

you may be able to see how the Pacific sight is secured in the cut-off hole also.

Unfortunately I don't have the screw and nut but I'm sure I could cobble something up if I needed to(maybe!!!!)..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails karrag 022.jpg   karrag 034.jpg   karrag 026.jpg   karrag 030.jpg  
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

I have four Krag sporters. Two wear Lyman 48s, another a Redfield 80, and the last a Pacific as in the above pictures. They are all fine rifles, but my favorite is the one with the pacific. I bought it in 1960 for $15.00 and killed my first deer with it. It had belonged to an old dentist who had stopped hunting. It now wears an 03 front sight band with a Redfield Sourdough front sight in it. It is a fine old rifle.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 01-24-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have four Krag sporters. Two wear Lyman 48s, another a Redfield 80, and the last a Pacific as in the above pictures. They are all fine rifles, but my favorite is the one with the pacific. I bought it in 1960 for $15.00 and killed my first deer with it. It had belonged to an old dentist who had stopped hunting. It now wears an 03 front sight band with a Redfield Sourdough front sight in it. It is a fine old rifle.
    One of those type sporters is on my bucket list,, nice ,very nice..

The Pacific comes in three flavors. One screw adjustable as pictured above, then there's one with target knobs that have five clicks per revolution, and finally another that has ten clicks per revolution. I have one of the latter, it'll be mine till I am no more.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

My Pacific is the screw adjustable. It was on the rifle when I bought it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Adrians, What is the safety on your Krag? It reminds me of the Buehler that has been used on so many Mausers.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Adrians, What is the safety on your Krag? It reminds me of the Buehler that has been used on so many Mausers.

Robert
    Don't have a clue Robert it was on the rifle when I got it, but now you mention it maybe someone will chime in and let us know.

It works great , that's all I can tell ya.

Redfield 102K. This is a "hunting" sight, required a screw driver to make adjustments.

Redfield 70KT. This as a "target" sight: micrometer clicks with finger adjustment knobs.

The Redfield 70 series are all micrometer click sights, but they were also available with "hunter" knobs that required a coin or a cartridge rim to turn the knob for adjustment. Sorry, I don't a file pic of my Krags with this variant of the 70K.

If you use a Redfield "no drill" sight on a M1898 Krag, be aware that you may have feeding problems. The M1898 had a shorter cut-off, and if you remove the cutoff to install the sight, cartridge rims may hang up in the empty mortice in the magazine. You need to notch the cut-off for the small bracket that protrudes into the cutoff mortice so you can leave the cutoff in the rifle. I think Buckshot has a good picture of this: I don't. The feeding issue does not seem to be a problem on the M1896 or 1892 rifles because these had a longer cut off, hence a longer mortice, and with the cutoff removed, the cartridges are starting to be directed into the chamber before the rim can catch on the sharp edge of the empty cutoff mortice.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast