Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Happy With New 4-20

Boolit Buddy

Happy With New 4-20

I bought a new Lee 4-20 a few months back but used it for the first time yesterday. Cleaned it good, lapped the valve rod to seat firmly (may not have been needed, but it sure didn't hurt), and I am very pleased with the initial results.

Only real challenge was adjusting the flow. Once I got that down I was in business. Knocked out about 100 Lee 200 gr. 44 cal rnfp with a 2 cavity mold before the garage got too cold. Indy is enjoying singly digit temps.

This is my first experience with a bottom pour pot. Been a dipper for quite a few years.

A lot posted about negative experiences with Lee bottom pours, thought I'd post a positive report.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad you like it. Yeah, I know a lot of bad mouthing has been done, but I've used Lee pots in all forms since the day they were introduced. I've never had one fail yet, and my oldest one has melted thousands of pounds of alloy. Keep the metering rod and spout clean and the famous "drip" is easily managed.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Glad to hear positive things! Too many bitch about the 4-20 "drip-o-matic". Have 2 for a long time and never a drip! Just use clean lead, never smelt in it, and use beeswax to reduce tin back in, not sawdust. Dust is for your smelting pot.

I have never lapped the valves. Been cranking thousands of slugs out of them. No PID or thermometer. Just a setting of 5.5-6 into a preheated mold does the trick with my alloys. I do a lot of pressure casting with it. And never adjust the flow!

Glad you like it.

banger

Boolit Master
    There are many opinions about casting equipment - especially these melters.
    However pistol bullet casters often have very different results from rifle bullet casters.
    Unless you identify what type of casting you do the comments may be misleading.
    EDG

Banned

You made a good choice.
    with the valve lap you should be good to go for many years.
    Most problems with the LEE 20# are actually user error.

Bending the 'handle' is the most common mistake.

Boolit Master
    Parson, your experience is pretty similar to mine. I have a RCBS pro-melt as well and frankly, they both dribble about the same amount. Nothing that bothers me.

Boolit Man
    I just bought a 4-20 lee pot and have not put any lead in it yet and was wanting to know if I should lap the valve to start out with, and if so how to do it?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deerspy View Post
    I just bought a 4-20 lee pot and have not put any lead in it yet and was wanting to know if I should lap the valve to start out with, and if so how to do it?

Well it was easier before the new rod was added.
    [old style] Adjust the spout rod all the way up. It'll likely come out of the hole in the spout.
    Add grit to that hole.
    Lower the rod back in the hole and adjust untill the handle is almost all the way up.
    Now chuck the top of the rod in a drill and spin it. [Better to just use just a chuck for an oscillation effect.]
    Raise the rod again and flush with brake cleaner.
    Repeat until you're happy.

[New style] Disassemble the handle rod assembly.
    remove rod, add grit to end of rod. chuck rod, TRY to keep the rod in the same place vertically or you basically accomplish nothing if it wobbles around.
    clean up and reassemble.

Boolit Man
    thanks Frozone, what kind of grit do I look for, is it auto valve lapping compound or something else that would work for this grit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deerspy View Post
    auto valve lapping compound or something else that would work for this grit.
    any 180 -> 300

Boolit Man
    thanks Frozone