Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 22 Bator mold HELP needed!!

22 Bator mold HELP needed!!

I recently bought a Lee 22 Bator mold planning on using it for one of my AR-15 carbines. After many attempts at polishing the feed ramps on my rifle to chucking the boolits in my lathe and attempting to round the nose, nothing has worked- my rifle will not feed with this style bullet. My question is, has anyone ever attempted to change the shape of the tip on a Lee mold? I have a mill and small lathe so tooling would not be an issue but I would like to shape the front of this boolit somewhat like a spitzer or at least something that will feed reliably in my carbine. I would appreciate any ideas or if you know of some info already posted on the net, I have searched and came up with nothing.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Just remember that a pointy piece of lead is going to be more likely to bend or break than the snub nosed Bator design, depending upon your alloy.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Moderator Emeritus

I'd strongly consider the HM˛ mold 225-62 before I modify the bator.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Just my opinion, but wouldn't you be better served by trying a different mould like the RCBS 22-55-SP? If you change the Bator to something that may or may not work for you, then your stuck with a hunk of metal with a resale value of ??? On a different note, what is the max. weight that your AR twist will handle/stabilize? If you change the Bator mould, you change the weight. Something to consider.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Listen to JohnB.... That boolit was specifically designed for AR service..... Grab one of them 62 gr HM molds and your troubles are over...

Banned

either of the 2 molds mentioned will feed super reliably in an ar rifle.
    in fact I have jams with Remington jaxketed bullets and have had none with either of the molds.

Boolit Master

Do you have the M4 cuts? My sons upper didn't have issues feeding the Bator, but we did have other issues due to an incorrectly cut mold (nose was .225 and would hang in the throat).

Czech too, That is one of the reasons I want to put a point on the bator bullet is to get a heavier bullet. I would be happy if it ended up somewhere between 65-75 grains. I have the tools and machinery to do it, just not too sure if I would be better off building a cherry or just a modified end mill to drill the tip out. My carbine is a 1:9 twist and shoots up to 77grain projectiles very well.

JonB, I have never heard or seen this mold you are talking about, but it does sound like it would fit my needs perfectly. Do you know a website where I can get more info on them?
    Thanks

Boolit Bub
    welcome to forum btw! i spend too much time bein cheap and not enough time shootin, i envy you folks!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by CNTSHOOTSTRT View Post
    JonB, I have never heard or seen this mold you are talking about, but it does sound like it would fit my needs perfectly. Do you know a website where I can get more info on them?
    Thanks
    http://heavymetalmolds.com/store/ind...kei4ujq7esr990
    Looks like they are currently out of stock, I'm sure they'll be making more.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Do you have the M4 cuts? My sons upper didn't have issues feeding the Bator, but we did have other issues due to an incorrectly cut mold (nose was .225 and would hang in the throat).
    Yes it does have the M-4 ramps! Probably should of mentioned that in my og post. After talking to a very helpful member on here it turns out I had my OAL all messed up! way too long. so I am going to do some testing again, that is if I can ever find some powder.