MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best overall Single Stage Press?

Boolit Buddy

What's the best overall Single Stage Press?

I know there's a lot of factors, and definitely not trying to start a brand war here. I was thinking of getting a Hornady LNL single stage to match my LNL AP, thinking the switch over of dies would be quick and easy, but some research online has shown me you would still need to make some adjustment to the dies when doing this so that kind of takes that idea out the window.

Does anyone swap dies like this between both LNL presses?

What's the best single stage press to purchase for the purpose of working up loads in small batches, to size and deprime, AND to form 300 Blackout brass from 5.56 brass?

Appreciate everyones input.

FM

Boolit Master
    You can shim. I seen an article on it. I'm currently working on two different presses that use LNL bushings. My project will take longer because of time right now.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    You can shim. I seen an article on it. I'm currently working on two different presses that use LNL bushings. My project will take longer because of time right now.

Take care

r1kk1
    Would you happen to have a link handy to that article?

In Remembrance
    LOL what is your favorite color?

Banned
    There're a lot of excellent single stage presses on the market and everyone has their favorite. I would dare say that most of the "O" frame presses are very similar. There are the endless arguments over iron v. aluminum and this type of linkage vs some other type of linkage. There are trade offs in costs and strength but in the end the question is how strong is strong enough and what are you willing to pay?
    The iron framed RCBS is a long time favorite and the Redding Boss presses are top notch, but are a bit expensive. Some of the less expensive aluminum alloy presses do the same job for less money and do it for years. Yes, they may be weaker but the engineering question is, "are they strong enough". Thousands of people would say yes. I've owned both types.

When we look at some of the less conventional presses such as the Redding T-7, Redding Ultra-Mag or Forster Co-ax,.....the debate gets a little more involved. The cost goes up but the designs are dramatically different.

If you are looking for a solid "O" frame workhorse and your budget will allow for a Redding Boss, Redding Big Boss or an iron RCBS, then I would say any of those would be fine.
    I honestly think most of the aluminum "O" frame presses from the top makers will do just fine and often for less money.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    If all 12,750 of your posts were this informative you're on a roll

I was using my Lee 3 hole turret to form 300 whisper/blackout from once fired 5.56 Nato - Then my friend with Dillon 1050 tooled up and it was easier to pay him to do it for me. When I think of single stage for case conversion I use my Co-Ax most for that. But honestly if you already have the Hornady LNL AP I'd just stay within the same family. Of course I'd never turn down a good deal on an older press like RCBS Rockchucker
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    There're a lot of excellent single stage presses on the market and everyone has their favorite. I would dare say that most of the "O" frame presses are very similar. There are the endless arguments over iron v. aluminum and this type of linkage vs some other type of linkage. There are trade offs in costs and strength but in the end the question is how strong is strong enough and what are you willing to pay?
    The iron framed RCBS is a long time favorite and the Redding Boss presses are top notch, but are a bit expensive. Some of the less expensive aluminum alloy presses do the same job for less money and do it for years. Yes, they may be weaker but the engineering question is, "are they strong enough". Thousands of people would say yes. I've owned both types.

When we look at some of the less conventional presses such as the Redding T-7, Redding Ultra-Mag or Forster Co-ax,.....the debate gets a little more involved. The cost goes up but the designs are dramatically different.

If you are looking for a solid "O" frame workhorse and your budget will allow for a Redding Boss, Redding Big Boss or an iron RCBS, then I would say any of those would be fine.
    I honestly think most of the aluminum "O" frame presses from the top makers will do just fine and often for less money.
    Thanks for your input P&P, I had completely forgotten Redding made single stage presses as they're not usually the topic of conversation.

As for the iron RCBS, is there a year or model where they stopped making them iron?

Thanks
    FM

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I was using my Lee 3 hole turret to form 300 whisper/blackout from once fired 5.56 Nato - Then my friend with Dillon 1050 tooled up and it was easier to pay him to do it for me. When I think of single stage for case conversion I use my Co-Ax most for that. But honestly if you already have the Hornady LNL AP I'd just stay within the same family. Of course I'd never turn down a good deal on an older press like RCBS Rockchucker
    Thanks artful, I still want/need to buy a single stage regardless of the brass conversion but was just trying to give as much info as possible for others to make a recommendation and share their thoughts.

I've been reloading since 2008 but have yet to own a single stage press (I know the die hards will cringe on that)

When I train someone to reload, I don't start 'em on one of my Dillon's - I start 'em on the Lee Turret used as a single stage press - If you learn the old way you can really appreciate the better/improved stuff that's come along since the '70's.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

bhn22
    I have a Redding Big Boss press. The difference between it and my Hornady 007 are like the difference between a Chevrolet, and a Rolls Royce. It's smoother, has a much more solid feel, and really gives you the feeling it was made to last a couple of lifetimes. It's hard to describe.

That said, I still want that big *** Hollywood press in the other thread. Give it to me!

Doggone system deleted my expletive!

Boolit Buddy
    When I train someone to reload, I don't start 'em on one of my Dillon's - I start 'em on the Lee Turret used as a single stage press - If you learn the old way you can really appreciate the better/improved stuff that's come along since the '70's.
    I started back in 2008 with a Dillon 550B, I did not want to start out with an auto indexing press. I ran the 550 for a couple months loading one round at a time before loading the shell plate up and having at it. Recently upgraded to the LNL and now looking for a single stage because it's good to have one, and I'd like to do some of my operations on the single stage.

The longer I reload the more my focus has shift away from as much ammo as fast as possible, and I have come to enjoy reloading more than shooting (wow did I just say that ). After the single stage casting is next up on the list.

Thanks for your input.

FM

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    I have a Redding Big Boss press. The difference between it and my Hornady 007 are like the difference between a Chevrolet, and a Rolls Royce. It's smoother, has a much more solid feel, and really gives you the feeling it was made to last a couple of lifetimes. It's hard to describe.

That said, I still want that big *** Hollywood press in the other thread. Give it to me!

Doggone system deleted my expletive!
    TY, after P&P recommended a look at it I have been and don't see anything wrong with it in the reviews. I have been very pleased with Redding for years using their dies. Also saw online I can get an adapter and the Big Boss II will take the LNL bushings, so it's looking good for the Redding at the moment. And since 308 Win is in my future the larger opening seems like a nice feature.

Banned
    I believe the Rock Chucker has always been constructed of iron.

Banned
    All Redding equipment is very high quality but your wallet will take a hit.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    All Redding equipment is very high quality but your wallet will take a hit.
    Cry once buy once is something life has taught me as the years have gone by.

Do you have any experience with the Forester Co-Ax?

Seems the big boss II and it would be the way to go.

Banned
    Good advice. Sort of like learning to drive a manual transmission first. You can always go back.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
    Cry once buy once is something life has taught me as the years have gone by.

Do you have any experience with the Forester Co-Ax?

Seems the big boss II and it would be the way to go.
    I always wanted a Forster but never could afford one. I've played with them on occasion and like the leverage they provide.
    I would always trust Redding equipment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
    If all 12,750 of your posts were this informative you're on a roll
    I think he meant all manufacturers make a decent single stage press.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I think he meant all manufacturers make a decent single stage press.
    Fire_Medic - Tell him purple - or better yet, Tell starmac that you like Flame jobs.
    je suis charlie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast