RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My argument against those who say the S&W lock is dangerous

Boolit Buddy

My argument against those who say the S&W lock is dangerous

If the S&W lock was dangerous for defensive purposes (accidental lockup), they wouldn't have put it on the TRR8 which was designed specifically for SWAT point men.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30590d1310244770-handgun-style-1000-max-trr8a.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	94102

If it's good enough for point men, it's good enough for me. Any rebuttals?

Boolit Master
    I had one come on under recoil....prefer it without them.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    All my my Smiths are vintage - pre IL. However, I've seen a lot of different threads on the IL and it seems to me it's like "beating a dead horse". If I ran across a Smith I liked and it had an IL, it would not be a deal killer for me. Yea, yea . . . some have had them lock up - but if you don't like 'em, just don't buy 'em. I've had other makes that have had IL and have never had a problem.

A lot of hype about "what if" . . . but let's face it, ANY handgun can have a "what if". You can have a problem with a semi-auto as well in any SD scenario. . . and you can also have a problem with a Smith that doesn't have the IL - I could say that I don't trust my vintage Smiths because they are old and something "might" break . . .

What it all boils down to is if a person doesn't like a handgun with a IL . . then walk away from it. If it doesn't bother you . . . then buy it.

Boolit Master
    Don't get me wrong. It was probably an isolated incident. Just said it for making a point. Still own gun. still carry it. I still prefer a gun without one.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

Never had a problem with the lock, but all my "new" Smiths are now fitted with the "plug", so I'll never experience that isolated incident. I kept the lock internals, so if I ever have a weak moment and sell a Smith, the new owner will have the option to putting it back into "original" condition.

Boolit Buddy
    Where did you get the plug? I thought I remember Apex tactical selling something like that before but when I looked on their website recently I did not see it.

Thanks
    FM

Love Life
    I've never had an issue with the lock, but I DID own a TRR8. It was a *** from the performance center. Some of the worst money I have ever spent on a firearm. I haven't bought a new S&W since.

Boolit Grand Master

The lock doesn't bother me one bit. That's the long and short of it.

Boolit Master
    I'd be surprised to see any entry team using a revolver these days. What little experience I have with 7 and 8 shot revolvers is they are a chore to speedload compared to a 6 shot gun, and unless your last name is Miculek, way slower than an auto.

I've never seen a lock fail personally, I just find them butt ugly and unnecessary.

Banned
    Wheel guns are sometimes used by the shield man. The edge of the shield can interfere with the slide on a semi-auto pistol. With a laser attached to the handgun, the user can sight via the port in the shield without exposing his head. Not sure why you would need 8 rounds in the gun?

Love Life
    Because 8 rounds are mo' better than 6 rounds.

Banned
    OK, I can't argue with that logic.

But if we're talking about a gun for the guy with the shield, then there are a bunch of his friends behind him with a LOT of rounds available. But hey, It looks cool!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Because 8 rounds are mo' better than 6 rounds.
    Just mo' better or much mo' betterer?

Love Life
    It's not that it looks cool, it's the fact that it holds 2 more rounds. Using 5 star firearms speed loaders, and rn boolits, that gun was hell on wheels when it played nice.

Banned

the reason I'll not own a S&W with a lock.

this guy Lewis Perkins is a good friend of mine

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...self?highlight

That kind of reasoning doesn't get anywhere with me. All of us military folks have learned that many weapons have special nuances, and you learn to pamper them in certain areas. I won't bet my life on anything just because it was designed for the snipers, or the SWAT, or whatever. I've seen weapons misfed, or locked up in way too many hairy situations. The only lock I need on my guns is me.

Love Life
    I bet my life on the M16A4 and later on the M4 with M203 attached because it was issued to me...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I've never had an issue with the lock, but I DID own a TRR8. It was a *** from the performance center. Some of the worst money I have ever spent on a firearm. I haven't bought a new S&W since.
    Nope, because using the logic of the original post, it couldn't be a *** because S&W designed it just for SWAT point men. They wouldn't make it for 'swat point men' if it was a ***, just like the lock has to be a good idea and cause no problems.

BTW if anyone takes the lock out you are right back to deactivating a safety which could be made to look bad in court if there were a shooting. I put the magazine disconnect back in my Hi Power for just that reason. It makes dry firing a pain, but I sometimes carry it and keep it around loaded, so it seemed prudent to put it back in.
    Rule 303

Love Life
    The gun just isn't made for high volume shooting. I swear though, when she ran well, she was hell on wheels!! I had a serious love/hate relationship with that gun, and maybe I got a lemon, but for what that thing cost it should have been cooking me breakfast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    Nope, because using the logic of the original post, it couldn't be a *** because S&W designed it just for SWAT point men. They wouldn't make it for 'swat point men' if it was a ***, just like the lock has to be a good idea and cause no problems.

BTW if anyone takes the lock out you are right back to deactivating a safety which could be made to look bad in court if there were a shooting. I put the magazine disconnect back in my Hi Power for just that reason. It makes dry firing a pain, but I sometimes carry it and keep it around loaded, so it seemed prudent to put it back in.
    The last I knew, there hadn't been a single case that this had been brought up in....... Has this changed???? The simple fact is that if a prosecutor wanted to, he could "make you look bad" for getting out of bed in the morning.... Or at least try to.

Dan