Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First a primer shortage,Now a powder shortage?

Boolit Master

First a primer shortage,Now a powder shortage?

I stopped at my local gun store to see Bob. I asked of a can of titegroup and said he none. He told me distrubors are all out of stock.
    First primers and now some powders! What is this world coming to? Is reloading go the way of the DoDo?
    I saw a guy buy two boxes of Blazer's 22 for $10 bucks. I remember when you got a whole brick for that price.

Will pleasure shooting be priced out of the market? Is that the plan of the hedge funds managers to run these companies into the ground and declare victory??
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Bub
    It seems like it is specific to different stores around here. 2 in the area appear able to get things when others can't. I have seen it with guns and powder.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    I stopped at my local gun store to see Bob. I asked of a can of titegroup and said he none. He told me distrubors are all out of stock.
    First primers and now some powders! What is this world coming to? Is reloading go the way of the DoDo?
    I saw a guy buy two boxes of Blazer's 22 for $10 bucks. I remember when you got a whole brick for that price.

Will pleasure shooting be priced out of the market? Is that the plan of the hedge funds managers to run these companies into the ground and declare victory??
    Leadmelter
    MI

where i live there's been al most zero powder/primers/ammo since the shooting. 22lr is still non-existant.

friends came for a visit from 650 miles away and said they have EVERYTHING on the shelves, just more expensive.

i dont get it?

Boolit Grand Master
    Primers for $35 per 1000 at the guns show today. Plenty of stock. No powder at this show. Unless you made plans in advance. Then one of the assistants walls outside to the truck and gets your powder.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Just looked....MidSouth has CCI small pistol primers for $26.42 a brick on hand.

Boolit Master

I have read a couple of articles on this shortage
    . For a lot of reasons gun sales are up at record levels. This is based on the number NICS background checks.( CCW license issued,high capacity firearms being sold)
    Manufacturers of primers and powder had their capacity matched to the demands of the old market. With an upswing in demand manufacturers could not ramp up their production to meet the new demand. Add to this the "panic" factor and the "greed" factor and you have a real shortage.
    Manufacturers will not invest capital money for a temporary spike in demand. It took a while for them to realize that the present demand is the new norm. Also businesses were twice as hesitant as before to upscale their operations with new regulations and Obamacare.

Been having problems myself finding certain powders and primers. Hard to find Titegroup, Unique, and H335. Large pistol and small rifle primers are pretty much nonexistent around here too. Last time I actually found something was at my local WallyWorld about three months ago, bought a lb of CFE223 and 1000 WLP primers, nothing since then. They always have small pistol primers though (CCI and Win). Always have IMR4198 and H1000 powders too, which I have no use for.
    Proud member: NRA, WVCDL
    Montani Semper Liberi

Your Walmart sells powder and primers?

bhn22
    Hodgdon has more powder scheduled to arrive in the next month or so, at least more IMR powders. I don't know about the others. I'm sitting okay on powder, but will continue to buy more as I find it and can afford it. The same with primers. Don't wait until you run low, buy some here and there as you find it. Just because it's here today doesn't it'll still be available tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post

Leadmelter
    MI
    Bob from MIgun?

I'll keep a look out for you...

Your Walmart sells powder and primers?
    Yep, both of them. They have a lot of Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra .224 bullets in stock right now, guess the run on those kinda died down. They handle RCBS dies and equipment with some Lyman stuff thrown in. Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant powders. CCI and Win Primers.
    Proud member: NRA, WVCDL
    Montani Semper Liberi

Talked to one of the reloading suppliers at the Raleigh NC gunshow today. By the way there was virtually NO pistol powder available at the entire show...plenty of rifle though. She said the distributor told her it would be hard to get into 2015. This lady sells powder and primers, and her company makes ammunition. She was really negative on the powder outlook, especially because her company is basically out of business because they can't make ammo without powder.

Banned

Here at the Asheville show, lots of powder and lots of primer, reasonably priced too

I've never seen powder or primers in a WalMart.
    I wish the ones around here would carry them.

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought the powder shortage started at the same time as the primer shortage. I don't see any new news here.

Only difference now is that primers are coming back, powder is behind.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I thought the powder shortage started at the same time as the primer shortage. I don't see any new news here.

Only difference now is that primers are coming back, powder is behind.
    Yeah, that's how it is around here too.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't wait for these threads to stop. This "news" is well over a year old. There is plenty of powder and primers available by me. It's not like it used to be w/ powder. Some of the more popular powders might not be available today. But give it a few weeks and it will be in stock. Most of the ones that people seem to not be able to find are available by me.

Maybe the powder shortage is fallout from Doe Run closing?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beetmagnet View Post
    Talked to one of the reloading suppliers at the Raleigh NC gunshow today. By the way there was virtually NO pistol powder available at the entire show...plenty of rifle though. She said the distributor told her it would be hard to get into 2015. This lady sells powder and primers, and her company makes ammunition. She was really negative on the powder outlook, especially because her company is basically out of business because they can't make ammo without powder.
    I saw some powder and primers available but not a great deal. less than at the last show and some of it was Red Dot, Green Dot etc..found primers too but had to walk around for a deal. I bought some Win at $29.99/1000 and saw them from $27.99 to $39.99. My girlfriend talked to one guy who told her that she had better buy now because her "source" was going to raise prices 15% next week on powder and primers.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HNSB View Post
    I've never seen powder or primers in a WalMart.
    I wish the ones around here would carry them.
    Your not lieing. I've never seen a WalMart that sold them
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I can't wait for these threads to stop. This "news" is well over a year old. There is plenty of powder and primers available by me. It's not like it used to be w/ powder. Some of the more popular powders might not be available today. But give it a few weeks and it will be in stock. Most of the ones that people seem to not be able to find are available by me.
    Maybe the powder shortage is fallout from Doe Run closing?
    Well I have one store 80 miles away round trip and it's a big store, used to have all the powder you could want. They have been out for a LONG time, got some primers but no powder.
    I have to depend on the net, powder valley and such, Midway, Ect. there is no powder to be had on the net of any use to a hand gun shooter, NONE that i can find. Being told that some local store in Podunk anyplace has powder does nothing for me and many, many other folks.
    I have been told all about how many shooters there are, how many new shooters there are, how many new re loaders came on board, shown graphs with all kinds of numbers and zig zag lines going up and down, power point presentations, U-tube vids. and post on different boards.
    Ware the helll is all the powder that is supposedly being made 24/7 by 5 or 6 major powder manufacturers. I was also told that I was not quick enough and didn't watch the net often enough.
    Well Ba-hooey, something ain't right someplace. I was able to get 2 pounds of Blue dot about 2 months ago and I was lucky to get that. I got it from the store 80 miles away, it had dust on it and the rest of the shelves were Barron. I could only afford a pound or two anyway even if it were available--but it's not. This has gone on WAY to long, I am sorry but the explanations so far are not cutting it. I think it goes deeper than we are being told.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast