MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First a primer shortage,Now a powder shortage?

Boolit Buddy

Nothing here unless you want some of the magnum rifle calibers or birdshot,i did see some small pistol primers at basspro at xmas for $50 per 1k plus tax. This area has been dead for well over a year,the only way I have found anything usefull is online.

Boolit Master

Here in middle TN, we have more powder than I've ever seen. Not at prices I like, but it's available. Supplies are sometime spotty on 2400, Red Dot and Unique. One will be available but not the others, then it changes next week. $26.99 for IMR one pounders, $179.99 for IMR 8 pounders

Banned

What I was told is a Acid Engine that makes the nitro cellulose went down and also the feds turned away a container ship from CHina loaded with acid to turn into the cellulose. There is also supposed to be a new powder manufacturer from Europe bringing in powder. There was something about Alliant QC trouble also.

Boolit Master

before the 1st Obama vote I bought 30,000 primers and maxed out hazmat rules with VArget, BLC2, Red Dot and 2400. My powder magazine is full and I've got enough primers to last for many years. I'm an ant, not a grasshopper.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    Indy 500 Gun and Knife had powder, primers and bullets. Pistol Powder was limited. I believe Titegroup was all I saw. The only Acc 5744 was an 8 lb. jug. Of course, I went during the last four hours of the show.

The one booth selling cast bullets needed some quality control. On the bullets I checked out, it looked like one half of the mold was about 1/8" higher than the other. I didn't check the bases but they were ugly. Beat up military rifles were going for big bucks. I only checked out one gun. An H&R .357 Handi Rifle for $262.00.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Here in middle TN, we have more powder than I've ever seen. Not at prices I like, but it's available. Supplies are sometime spotty on 2400, Red Dot and Unique. One will be available but not the others, then it changes next week. $26.99 for IMR one pounders, $179.99 for IMR 8 pounders
    Might take a drive up there for 8 lbs of Bullseye.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I think it is a southern states thing. The ones up north and out here do not.

But..................I have 35 gun/ammo stores within a 25 mile radius of me! Go AZ!

bangerjim
    I bought my first handgun at Ruffs Liquor and Guns in Flagstaff. A 357Mag Rossi, a bag of reloads and a 12 Pack of Bud for after the shooting. Put it on a credit card and walked out. They had a drive through window at the time too.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    before the 1st Obama vote I bought 30,000 primers and maxed out hazmat rules with VArget, BLC2, Red Dot and 2400. My powder magazine is full and I've got enough primers to last for many years. I'm an ant, not a grasshopper.
    Thanks for sharing, I am so happy for you. This is helpful for others, how???

Tim

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I bought my first handgun at Ruffs Liquor and Guns in Flagstaff. A 357Mag Rossi, a bag of reloads and a 12 Pack of Bud for after the shooting. Put it on a credit card and walked out. They had a drive through window at the time too.
    I'll take a 38 and of bottle of Wild Turkey Please....Ruff's stopped selling booze a few years back, only sporting goods now. Here in Flagstaff no one has much powder, but 2 weeks back I drove to Prescott, AZ and High Country Gun & Knives had more powder than you could shake a stick at. All at reasonable prices too. They apparently have some good connections.

Boolit Master

Plenty of powder and primers at the gun show in Topeka, KS this past weekend. Primers were $33/k and powder $20 - 25/lb. Great selection. No good deal on .22 LR.

The WalMart in Alamosa, CO sells powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HNSB View Post
    I've never seen powder or primers in a WalMart.
    I wish the ones around here would carry them.
    I was told by the guy who runs the Sporting Goods dept at the local Walmart that it's the store manager's discretion on what each store carries in their sporting goods department. I was told by another that corporate tells them a general plan on what to stock and the manager can only "fine tune" what they carry. Two of our local Walmarts carry a bunch of reloading equipment, powder, primers, a ton of ammo, optics, all sorts of other shooting stuff, AR-15's and all sorts of firearms. Rural area around them though. They do good business in the stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I see powder at Cabelas every time I go. Usually about $25 per pound. You usually have about two choices though, slow rifle powder or fast rifle powder, different stuff every time. Probably just my timing, I only go once every month or so, but I never see pistol powder.

If pistol powder keeps evading me I might have to see about doing a trade for some of my rifle powder or pay gunbroker prices.

Boolit Buddy
    It's the store manager's discretion. The one Wal-Mart that carried firearms dropped them after a local shooting several years back... the weapon was bought at the store. The store manager felt guilty and got rid of them. Now, the number of people killed because of booze sold there was 100x the one instance in 20 years with the firearm, but I digress.

That manager retired, a new one came in, and back came the gun cabinets. I asked the sporting good manager, "why are the guns back" and the answer was "a new store manager"... as simple as that... I wish they had powder and primers there, tho....

Boolit Grand Master

In regards to WalMart I remember not too long ago that there was quite a furor over some WalMarts stopping the sale of guns which everyone took to be an anti-gun stance. It turned out that that was not it. It was a standard response to local market conditions, shelf space and items that didn't move fast enough. WalMart is in the business of moving volume and will replace anything that doesn't sell fast enough.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    Maybe you would like to share with others about where to buy all the powder you want?
    I check with about a dozen big suppliers and the shelves are bare.
    Sure, any LGS in the Philadelphia and surrounding areas that are NW of the city. Powder was hit and
    miss until a few months ago. While no one store has everything. You are able to find what you're looking for by making a few calls.

Our local wally used to carry all kinds of powder. I still have some SR-7625 priced at $3.63 a can. Of course, that was a few years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by HNSB View Post
    I've never seen powder or primers in a WalMart.
    I wish the ones around here would carry them.