Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationADvertise hereTitan ReloadingWideners

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can you expect out of your air rifle.

What can you expect out of your air rifle.

I picked up a new air rifle for myself for Christmas and sighted it in the shop a few days ago then took a few shots at a target that was up in my bullet trap behind the shop (60 yards) and 5 of 7 from my standing rest went into about 2.5". Going to do some bench shooting today after the match, only to decide it was too windy to do any serious work with an airgun.

Long story short, there were some crows out in the field when I arrived home and one shot at 98 yards was all it took to put him in the dirt.

I am very impressed with the results I have had so far. Should have bought an "adult" air rifle years ago.

what rifle were you shooting?
    “When people have tried everything and have discovered that nothing works, they will tend to revert to what they know best—which will often be the tribe, the totem, or the taboo.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens

Boolit Grand Master

What gun and caliber?

Very nice work on the crow! I have shot a few also. My favorite adult air rifle is a .22 cal co2 job with a nice set of peep sights. Very accurate. While I have not connected on anything at the distance you mention I do not doubt that it could be done. Keep up the good shootin!

It's an RWS 34 in .22, it runs 100 fps slower than advertised with 14.3 grain pellets but I don't want to mess with a good thing.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems to be doing alright for sure.

Is that advertised velocity with lead or alloy pellets? That seems to be the scam now with advertisements saying... "up to 1200 FPS using XXX pellets..." which turn out to be lightweight alloy. However, most air guns now seem to be capable of much higher velocities than just a few years ago.

The PCP's really seem to shine nowadays and I was seriously thinking about one but there is so much peripheral gear to buy as well it put me off. Not sure how much is "necessary" but a springer is much simpler and cheaper overall.

Anyway, yes, nice job on the crow and at 98 yards too. Not bad at all.

Longbow

Is that advertised velocity with lead or alloy pellets?
    They don't give you that information.

Having just rebuilt my childhood Benjamin Franklin pump air rifle and shot the same pellet over the same chronograph, I can tell you that there is only a 50 fps gain in velocity with the 34. A much larger difference in accuracy though.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    That's excellent shooting. It always feels good when you hit what you were aiming at regardless of the range.

60 yards is my own self-imposed hunting yardage limit with my air rifle; even though I've never shot anything beyond 30 yards with it yet.

Mine is one of those air rifles listed as having a 1250 fps velocity capability with lead free pellets. Yea right! In its factory configuration it never even came close to that regardless of the pellets I shot through it. I just recently got it to put out 27 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with my preferred 21 grain pellets. Took a long time to get there though.

I've noticed that regardless of how cutting-edge the newest crop of air rifles become, we air gun shooters are still generally relegated to shooting 1st generation pellets designs. I believe our pellets have now become the weak link in our air gunning systems.

I hope to take it out in the field next weekend if I can get some time off. Heck, I haven't even gotten a hunting license yet. I really envy you guys who live out in the country like that. You can practically hunt in your back yard.

HollowPoint

Vendor Sponsor

Morris: A 100 yard shot on a crow with a .22 Rimfire would have been a nice shot! hell a pellet gun kill at 100 is pretty cool.

I have shot my R1 at a 75 yard silhouette and hit after the third shot however I was dealing with a 30 mph Crosswind and a gun sighted to 50 yds. you could see the pellet as it flew and it looked like a Sandy Kofax curveball!

Still knocked the turkey down.

Nothing "alive and annoying" has presented itself for destruction yet.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I can watch the pellet to the target with my pump, the springer is just violent enough that I can't see it going down range through the scope.

As an aside, I also ordered 11 tins of different pellets to try out but none are more than .03 grains less than the ones I have always used at 14.3 grains (22.0 grains - 14.0) . What are they using to get their numbers?

not sure why the photo inverted but pretty sure the Gamo pellets wont do so well, they look like a kid hammered them out in china. Some of the others look very good though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140118_210534_009.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	93943  

22 grain on far left and 14 grain far right. The crossman and benjamin 14.3 pellets look like the same pellet except the parting line (maybe 2nds?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140118_213127_935-1.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	93944  

My 34 .22 is now owned by my buddy who cant find 22 LR ammo.It would shoot about an inch at 50 yards with the Crossman 14.3g pellets. I hope he lets me have it back when 22 ammo is available again.My RWS 36 .177(dressed up 34) shoots about the same accuracy wise.
    “When people have tried everything and have discovered that nothing works, they will tend to revert to what they know best—which will often be the tribe, the totem, or the taboo.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens

Boolit Master
    That is quite a shot, my Wolverine .303 requires a lot of holdover as well as wind doping at 100 yds.

Boolit Buddy

Nice shooting JMorris.

What would be a good rifle for hunting, plinking and informal target shooting. I would like to get one going before the starlings arrive. I hate starlings. Quiet would be a consideration since I live in a development.

I saw a RWS 34 this Sat. in a gun shop along with a used one that started with a W made in Turkey. I don't know enough to tell if spring was bad, or bad seals.

Only air gun I have is a Beeman P1 and I like it a lot.

I am not the guy to ask about air rifles. Up until a few weeks ago I had more or less given up on them for the last 38 years or so. This one looks like a winner though.

The wind didn't seem quite as bad as yesterday so I ran a 5 shot group at 100 yds, waiting for the wind to die down between shots.

About 4 1/8" with the Benjamin 14.3 grain pellets.

I bagged it on a concrete table and also had the shop block the wind for part of the way.

I hate waiting on wind so I'll pick a calm day to try out the expensive pellets I ordered.

Sandbagging air rifles can adjust the POI. Try moving the bags around for a group and see where it likes to rest. Most air rifles (particularly springers) like a very light hold. Some bench shooters go as far as resting the rifle on their front hand and then resting the hand on the bag.
    Nice shooting at a 100 yards for a springer.
    Silver Eagle

TANSTAAFL
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    - Robert A. Heinlein from "The moon is a harsh mistress"

Vendor Sponsor

Morris: as far as pellets go the brands to watch are H&N/Beeman, RWS and one other German one that escapes me at the moment, but they have a red plastic tip.

I use H&N Match flat point wadcutters like the H&N Match both in .177 and .22 for indoor shooting at 10 yards/meters, and the H&N Crow Magnum and Barracuda for longer range shooting. 14 19 and 21 gr respectively. I have used the H&N Match pellets ever since I have shot airguns and find them to be the most accurate and consistent.

I have hit a 75 yard Rimfire silhouette turkey with a Barracuda pellet and it knocked it down decisively. My R1 is a beast and according to a calculator produces @40 FPE!

As far as seeing the pellets go,,, shoot directly North at 12 Noon on a sunny day. I guarantee you'll be able to see them go.

The cheaper brands of pellets generally do look like they were hammered out by kids, and I have several tins of bad ones I bought 30 years ago. These tins all have about 10 pellets missing.

H&N came out recently with a pellet that looks exactly like their .22 Match pellet but it is packaged in 500 round tins for $13. I have compared these pellets under a 10x microscope and can find no difference between them and the H&N Match pellets which are packaged 200/$9.00, and if they are seconds, then their seconds are better than everybody else's firsts.

Really there is no excuse anymore for shooting junk pellets, you can get anything you want from Pyramyd Air and they always have a buy 3 and get the fourth one free, policy. You can shoot a lot for $50.

My .02 on pellets.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I agree with the comments about pellet quality. It makes all the difference to my guns as well. One of the best shooting pellets I have used in .22 is the Crosman match (Field) that comes in a little cardboard box with foam lining. I think they are 250 to the carton if memory serves me, I may have to go downstairs to confirm that.... Anyway, those domed pellets shoot excellent in both my .22 airguns. Very much more consistent than anything else Crosman offers. They all tend to look absolutely perfect with a magnifying glass for the few boxes I have been through.

"My R1 is a beast and according to a calculator produces @40 FPE!"

no way you are getting 40 FPE out of an R1,20-25 is tops even for a fast one.If as gassed by a Theoben 25-30 is tops.
    Last edited by cbashooter; 01-21-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    If you don’t do it in a registered match it doesn’t count! Shooting,Running,Bikes you name it….

My R1 is a beast and according to a calculator produces @40 FPE!
    That would be a beast, the math on mine works out to 16 ft.lbf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast