RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GunStock Re-Finishing, The Roger Method explained with Pics

So I read this sticky and started looking at my model 70. Long history with that rifle, so just putting a Boyd's on it wasn't really an option. Today was a 'snow day' in Central PA and I had cabin fever. I took a few pics before I started...and learned a few things most of you already know. Citrus strippers are useless for taking varnish off a Model 70 stock, even if rubbed with steel wool. Varnish gums up sandpaper very quickly, make sure you have plenty if you go that route. It IS possible to sand around the checkering without screwing it up. So, as of now, all the old finish is off, the stock is sanded down to 220 and I'm trying to figure out how to fix the hole in the forearm. I'll post the pics when I get them off the camera. On the up side, I discovered that the wood is nicely figured walnut and should look great with a tung oil finish.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Very well done. Thank you gentlemen.

Still waiting on them pics histed.... Lets see what you got sir...

AG

Alaskaman - sorry about that. I finally figured out that my files were too big to attach. Think its fixed now. Here goes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08506 (800x278).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	95710

Name:	DSC08505 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	95709

Name:	DSC08508 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	95711
    As you can see, the stock has been "well used." Didn't want to replace it, though, as this belonged to my friend and reloading mentor. When he died 16 years ago his widow gave it to me. Lotta good memories here
    Last edited by histed; 02-05-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Name:	DSC08510 (800x158).jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	95752

Name:	DSC08512 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	95753

Name:	DSC08511 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	95754

Name:	DSC08514 (800x135).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	95755

Name:	DSC08510 (800x158).jpg 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	95752

[Edit] Tried reloading the pics. this is what it looks like after the old stuff is removed

This afternoon, if everything works out, I want to go over it again with at least 220. Then, if the weather hold, off to Lowe's for finer paper, pumice stone and so on. The wood is walnut. I want to add a reddish cat to it, but have on clue what might work. Red Mahogany?? Also nee to decide what to do with the two unwanted holes in the forearm. The shop teacher at my school (I teach history) has a plug cutter. Maybe that will work.
    Last edited by histed; 02-05-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Cant see the pics of the stock after prep....

Looks like you are on your way sir... Will be able to tell more after the prep pics are posted... I tell you what though, it will be beautiful... Look at the awesome grain and movement??? Wow.. It should look totally awesome when finished...

AG

Great piece Alaskan Guy. Thanks for taking the time to share. I'm looking forward to using your tips

Cast Boolits Owner

Beautiful looking stocks. Nice work!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

First class post and job. The only thing I could add is the use of Minwax Prestain before the leather dye. On beech and birch, it will enable the die to take an even color without splotching or spoting. I just apply a coat with a small brush and allow to dry as per the instruction on the can.

Here is a Jap Type I stock, I refinished using the Minwax Prestain, Fiebings medium brown dye and the BLO. Of course after removing the old finish and prepping the wood pretty much as you describe. I have refinished beech/birch with and without the prestain and I get much better results with the prestain.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    So I read this sticky and started looking at my model 70. Long history with that rifle, so just putting a Boyd's on it wasn't really an option. Today was a 'snow day' in Central PA and I had cabin fever. I took a few pics before I started...and learned a few things most of you already know. Citrus strippers are useless for taking varnish off a Model 70 stock, even if rubbed with steel wool. Varnish gums up sandpaper very quickly, make sure you have plenty if you go that route. It IS possible to sand around the checkering without screwing it up. So, as of now, all the old finish is off, the stock is sanded down to 220 and I'm trying to figure out how to fix the hole in the forearm. I'll post the pics when I get them off the camera. On the up side, I discovered that the wood is nicely figured walnut and should look great with a tung oil finish.
    Formby's Furniture Refinisher will remove varnish and lacquer like magic when applied as per the instructions on the can. It won't remove oil finish or any of the new polymer finishes. Many of the proprietary gun stock finishes like Tru-Oil and Lin-Speed are in fact lacquer or varnish base and will come off easy with this stuff.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Char-Gar - thanks for the help. This goes in my notebook for next go-round. If I'd seen your Jap before I sold mine, I'd have done the same thing, I think. Mine was 6.5 - what's this?

Perm-Banned
    i very happy to read alot of guys are looking at their old guns and realizeing the potential that is in the old stock. they can be made to be better than they ever where ment to be. if a person wants to make the stock all the same even color the pretreatment is a good idea. i my self like the movement of the grain in birch and the diff shades that come out of it. i guess it is a matter of personal preference. as far as have a touch of red in the color of your stock, as mentioned in how to refinish a stock a few drops of red leather dye in medium brown leather dye will do the trick. give you a english or winchester brown red color to your finish. if you want to cover up the plugged hole in you stock. try a couple of inlays. you can find them on the internet for guitars and ect. also you can look under knife makeing materials for inlays . you can cut your own or buy precut inlays. many a beautiful gun has had inlays put over mistakes or flaws in the wood. you could even make a inlay out of a lighter colored hardwood and it would look nice. all it takes is go at it slow and do it carefully. im building a custom muzzleloader right now and im going to put two bone inlays in the stock. again enjoy reading what every one is doing.

The Japanese Navy wanted rifles for their "Marines" and the Army controlled the Jap arsenals, so the Navy contracted with Italy to produce 6.5mm rifles on the Carcano action. In all other respect they looked like and felt like Arisaka rifles, although on the whole, they were more accurate and better made than the Jap made rifles. The rifles were made in Italy and loaded on cargo vessels and transferred to Jap cargo subs in mid-ocean for deliver to Japan. They are called the Type I, "I" being Italy.

If you want to stain your Winchester stock with a red element, I will suggest "Chestnut Ridge dark walnut military stain with a hint of red". This is an oil based stain that works well on walnut stocks. Beech and Birch requires an alcohol base stain like the aforementioned leather dye.

I have not tried it, but a 50-50 mix of Minwax red mahogany and Minwax black walnut stain is supposed to produce a color much like original vintage Winchester color.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 02-05-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Minwax I've used with great success. This is what I was thinking and I have plenty of scrap to try it on. Thanks, too, for the history background. Knew the Japanese/Carcano existed, just never knew why. Another story to keep my history classes awake. Johnson1942 (as in the Johnson rifle?) I have done the light-on-dark inlay and really like it. Maple with walnut looks really good IMO. This one will likely get a walnut plug, though. Weird as it sounds, I need to keep it as close to the original that Russ bought - just feels right. Thanks everyone. Keep you posted as the project progresses (faster with more snow, slower without it)

Name:	DSC08516 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	96656
    Finished Product

Name:	DSC08517 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	96657
    There are some things I'm not happy with but I think it came out well for a first try

Name:	DSC08518 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	96658
    I love how the grain pops out, and the reddish undercast

Name:	DSC08519 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	96659
    Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement

Perm-Banned
    thanks for posting the finished stock. it looks very even and well done. something you can proud of. as for perfection, i wish i could be perfect also. each time i do a stock it always seems to be better than the last one. ive been waiting for your pictures and checking every day. its always fun to see what kind of grain is in a piece of wood. im working on a cherry stock right now. i didnt think their would be any grain in it but i was very surprised to find it has a lot of grain. cherry seems harder to sand out the scratches that other woods ive worked on but they did come out. my arms actually got sore from all the sanding i did on it. also i found out with cherry that i had to mix a lot of acatone with the leather die to get it to penatrate evenly. again thanks for the post and if you do more please show us.

Thanks for the kind words, Johnson. Post yours when you're done. We has yet another snow day today. Since snow and liquid lead don't mix well AND I was driving my long-suffering wife crazy, I decided to try my luck with my Savage Mark II. Factory finish looked like chocolate milk. Under that stain was a birch stock. I've read that birch can be a pain to stain, but the stock has more grain and ...."bird's-eye???" than I thought. I also want to glass bed the action - something I've never done before. Weather guys are calling for another round on Monday/Tuesday, so... At least I should have some nice looking stocks by March.
    Last edited by histed; 02-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	20140214_181928.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	96740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140214_181937.jpg 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	96741 Ok AlaskanGuy.. This is the First Stock I every Carved from a Block of Wood and did everything too.. I made it a few years ago and gave it to my brother as a gift. I decided shortly after I wanted to make a synthetic stock for him to drag around in the brush. I don't know if you can see the pics or not

Boolit Buddy

Name:	20140214_181954.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	96742 Here is another one I am actually working on right now.. I actually just went down to my messy work bench and took this picture for you.. I promise you when I finish this one you will drop your jaw.. The wood is amazing.. it is an exhibition grade piece of bastonge Walnut

Boolit Buddy

Name:	20140120_181629.jpg 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	96746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140120_204441.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	96747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140120_211024.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	96748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140120_211032.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	96749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140120_212141.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	96750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140210_185909.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	96751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140214_181830.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	96753 I am also currently doing this stock.. I am doing it for a friend of mine that works for Hornady.. I hope the pics come in order but it is a piece of Curly maple that I decided to make look like a tiger for the heck of it

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast