Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Upgrade to a Dillon 650?

Boolit Man

Upgrade to a Dillon 650?

I currently have a Dillon 550 that I bought new two years ago. I'm thinking about purchasing the 650 as a replacement-upgrade. I am only reloading 9 mm on this machine. The main reason I wish to purchase it is to automate some of the functionality in order to remove errors such as double charging or a missed charge. Also a little extra speed would be fine. One of my concerns is that the 550 will be put back in its original shipping box and probably may not be used. I am wondering how easy it would be to sell my 550.

Your 550 will sell directly with the rate of how fair your price is.

A fair price? It'll sell instantly. If your looking to make an extra $50 off it... It might take longer.

I always price everything fair and just sell it ASAP. No reason to keep something laying around for $20.

Boolit Buddy
    As the previous poster said..reasonable price it'll sell. A new one with cal conversion is about 430 delivered now. I know as I just bought another..yesterday of course.. Get the 650. It is a nice machine and you will be amazed at the reloading rate. Get the case feeder too. I have one of them that is set up right now in 9mm and it does well. Makes 'em faster than I can shoot 'em...cept maybe in the Swedish K..but it still takes a while to load mags LOL NOW..if ya really want to be able to go..get the S 1050. 1000 an hour is easy.

Just got to add. Shooting those fast firing things really uses up the limited supplies of reloading items we seem to have these days
    Last edited by skeet028; 01-17-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Boolit Master

What ever you paid for the 550 + any extras is what you should ask if you're going to sell the Press. Right now a NIB 550 with one caliber conversion starts at $439. That might be a starting point for you, or maybe say $400. Btw, enjoy the 650.
    Good Luck
    Sparky

One of my concerns is that the 550 will be put back in its original shipping box and probably may not be used. I am wondering how easy it would be to sell my 550.
    Keep it in the box until the next panic run on equipment. I sold a 650 back in April/May for over $1800, had to wait a few weeks but it paid for a new 1050.

Boolit Buddy
    The 550 will sell quickly as stated if priced fair. I sold mine recently for 20% less than new because it had been used since 2008. A local guy ended up speaking up for it because he heard through a friend before I even got to list it on the forum. I sold many of the extras or traded them for other things and priced according to the 20% less rule as well.

The 650 is a fine machine but also take a look at the Hornady LNL AP too. There are many good videos on it on Youtube. This is the route I went and have not regretted it one bit. I got a good deal on a used one with some extras. The selling price of my 550 and it's extras got me the LNL and extras and a case feeder for it (en route).

I know the blue boys will bash my recommendation but keep an open mind. Either it or a 650 is a solid press. For me I liked the features of the Hornady better and it's cheaper than a 650 too, and caliber conversions are cheaper and easier.

Just my $0.02

I would & did keep my 550. I use it for 8-9 diff calibers because I already had all the conversions & tool heads. I use the 650 for 45acp & 45colt. The speed in the 650 comes from the case feeder. It isn't very use friendly loading cases into the tube w/o one. If you never want a case feeder & just want auto indexing, a LNL may be a better deal. I am not a fan of the priming system nor bushings on the LNL, but the rest of the press is solid. You will have no issue selling a 550 for 85-90% of a new one.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Here's a thought folks haven't offered: First, get your 650 and try it out, see how you like it. If you find you prefer it over the 550, then sell the 550.

As far as extras for the 550, sell them separately from the press. I had a 550 with a ton of trimmings. Ended up selling the stripped press to one guy, the larger primer system to another, the small priming system to another, powder measure to another, you get the idea. I was selling a new old stock press, so I sold it at 90% of full retail. I sold it on the swap and sell of this website and had zero problems selling it. Be sure to figure shipping into your price or put "plus shipping." Shipping can get expensive, especially to Alaska or Hawaii.

Hope this helps,

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Here's a thought folks haven't offered: First, get your 650 and try it out, see how you like it. If you find you prefer it over the 550, then sell the 550.
    THIS ^^^ is rock solid advice. I have owned and loaded on XL650s and Super 1050s. I don't own them any more. I have two RL550s side by side on my bench. They just suit me better. Everyone is different...

And you will have NO trouble selling a used Dillon press. Happy loading!

Along the lines of Dave and Alvarez, the last model Dillon I bought was a 550. Just because I wanted something faster to load with than my turret presses and not take as long to change over as the SD, 650 and 1050.

You never regret selling something you still have...

ADMIN

why sell it??
    Do you only load one caliber?
    The 650 is a heck of a machine. You will really like it.
    I would do a spent primer catch and a new primer catch (the ski ramp sucks)
    Now you are gonna want to get a bunch of primers tubes to keep up

Banned

If all your loading is 9mm and you dont feel you need a casefeader. Save yourself a bunch of money and look at a square deal. they leave a 550 in the dust for loading speed and are half the cost of a 650. Now if other calibers are going to be loaded in the future id consider a 650. But if i only loaded one caliber id be happy as #### with a square deal.

Banned
    If you need to sell the 550 you'll have no trouble selling it. Dillon equipment holds its value and there's a steady demand. All of the prior advice concerning pricing is sound I would only add the caution about consideration of shipping costs.
    If you don't need to sell the 550, I would strongly urge you to hang onto it.
    If you have room for two presses on your bench, having one set up in a different caliber is an advantage. Because of the time required to swap the primer feed from large to small or vice versa, many folks keep two Dillon presses with one set up for large primers and the other for small primers.
    The 550 could also act as a backup machine in the unlikely event you had a problem with the 650. Dillon's parts service is excellent but even the fastest DC-10 and UPS truck can't beat sliding over to the spare press 4' away!

Banned
    Having re-read the original post, I'll add a few comments. The 650 is a fine machine but I actually prefer the manual indexing of the 550 to help prevent some of the issues you addressed.
    I concur with Lloyd Smale's advice concerning the Square Deal B. If you're only going to load ONE pistol caliber, the SDB has a lot going for it at half the cost.
    As to speed of production; having spare primer tubes filled and on hand, allows the 550 to really shine.

Boolit Master

Tough position to be in...having 2 presses. I like the Dillon products and am very pleased with those I own. I have two 650's so that I so not have to change primer systems. I usually load a few months ahead for each caliber so I need to change set ups less often, although the Dillon product's make the caliber change process pretty easy. Brian (Alvares Kelly) is the used Dillon guru so I appreciate and would consider his advice.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Grand Master

It will sell very easily. Dillon presses hold their value well. Some good info here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lon-550-or-650
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-18-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Banned
    I will say this Dillon equipment sells itself I have rcbs lyman pacific and dillon all top shelf machines.

ADMIN

The problem I have with the square deal b and 9mm is that it doesn't deal with the glock bulged cases. Nothing sucks more then loading 1000 rounds and finding out 1/3 don't fit the chamber because of the bulge. That was a FN M&P. The ruger p89 chambered 100%.
    I got Lee carbide dies and Lee fcd carbide and my problems went away using the 550.
    I plan to set up the 650 in the spring
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

The only problem I have with my SD's is that when you take them out of the box that is as good as they are going to get. They were a great deal almost 30 years ago at $130 ea but for what they cost these days I would just save a little longer for a much better press.