Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which mold for .30 Carbine?

Boolit Buddy

Which mold for .30 Carbine?

Earlier this week I received an Amazon $25 gift certificate.

Did you know you can buy reloading stuff on Amazon? I didn't but I do now!

I want to use it to get a mold for my .30 Carbine. I'm considering either the Lee 311-100-2R or the C309-120-R. Should be able to size either one down to the necessary diameter, but I'm not planning on running gas checks, so I'm leaning toward the 100 grainer.

Thoughts? Other recommendations?

Boolit Master

My go-to mold for the 30 carbine is the 311359 and 11.5 grains of 2400. During our yearly D-Day commemorative silhouette match we use 30 carbines, and you'd be amazed that a round most would consider a plinker has the energy to take down a 200 yard ram - but it does so quite easily. I know you said you want to avoid gas checks, but this boolit is very accurate out of my carbine...

Boolit Master

I've never used those Lee molds and expect them to be ok but I will echo Baja on the 311359. An excellent choice for the carbine and perfectly paired with 2400. I size to .310 and use Rooster Red with great results in my 1943 Inland. I've shot a couple of hundred in a sitting and cleaning afterwards...not a speck of lead in the barrel or gas piston. Since I've used the last of my Rooster lube, I've switched to Carnuba Red but I expect the same great results.

Lyman 311359 gas checked & sized .309 over 6.5gr Unique in my IBM is what I use.Haven't shot any w/o GC.

Lyman plain base is the 311410. 130 grain bullet as you need the weight to create enough recoil impulse at the reduced velocities. Have it here and the 311359 gas checked 115 gr. Everyone says it's worth it to run the GC bullet.

Boolit Master

LEE 120-2RGC has been the most accurate boolit in my Carbine, at least as accurate as ball. I never tried the -359, being satisfied with the Lee...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    LEE 120-2RGC has been the most accurate boolit in my Carbine, at least as accurate as ball. I never tried the -359, being satisfied with the Lee...
    Are you using them with gas checks?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Same here, I size to .309 for my 44 Inland, and lube with White Label 2500+. I would NOT recommend using it without a gas check. Feel free to ask me why

Boolit Grand Master

cpaspr

but I'm not planning on running gas checks, so I'm leaning toward the 100 grainer.

If that is what you are doing then you're not asking much of your M1 Carbine and it probably will let you down. The 311410 at 120+ gr or the 311008 at 115 - 118 gr are about the best non GC'd cast bullets. They do well for reliable functioning while keeping the velocity down under 1600 fps for best accuracy. You can push them faster for sure if you are happy with "blastin' accuracy" of 5 - 6 moa at best. If you want top end performance of velocity with accuracy then you should go with the C309-120-R. Cast them of COWWs + 2% tin, size them at .309 or .310, lube with 50/50 alox lube and GC them. Load them over 12.5 - 13.5 gr H110 or 296 for 1850 fps or so. They will give you all the accuracy your M1 Carbine is capable of. If zeroed properly (POA = POI at 150 yards with rear sight at 1.5) that load will be regulated to the ranges out to 300 yards.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    It is one of my funnest guns, so it looks like I'll need to get some gas checks. I'll get the 309-120R for now, and keep my eyes open for a 311359 sometime in the future. Or not, depending on how these shoot.

Thanks, all.

Le Loup Solitaire
    You also might want to consider the RCBS 115 grain GC roundnose. It feed very reliably and generally casts at about .309-.310 with two grease/lube grooves. Like all RCBS molds it is limited to 2 cavity, but it does a good job. RCBS guarantee is solid behind it. LLS

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again to all for the suggestions, but remember, I'm looking to use an Amazon.com gift certificate. There were no Lyman nor RCBS dies of the suggested shapes listed there, so for this purpose, I'll pass. Though I will add them to my wish list.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 120 has been very good in my experience.

Also a lot of fun in popcorn fart loads in plenty of other .30s also.

I use it with checks- I don't find the carbine to be the easiest thing in the world to load for, and it needs all the help it can get to be reliable with lead bullets. At least for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Echd View Post
    The Lee 120 has been very good in my experience.

Also a lot of fun in popcorn fart loads in plenty of other .30s also.
    Yeah, shooting lightweight (for caliber) bullets can be a good way for children to start learning to shoot bigger guns, without the full kick of normal loads. When I was a kid my dad used to load Lyman 3118s for his .30-30. Twas fun as I recall. I don't have a .30-30 anymore, but my sister does. Hmm. I've got a bunch of 3118s cast. I've still got some .30-30 shells around here somewhere. Wonder what a good load would be for those to give to her?

Boolit Master

I bought the Lee C309-120 R for use in the 30 Carbine and it works great with IMR 4227. Back in the 1970s, dad bought a SAECO 321 (plain based 95 gr) for use in the 30 M1 but never cast a boolit from the mold. He'd bought a truckload of half jacketed 110 gr plinkers and so never cast with it. Nice boolit, SAECO molds are top flight, I recently cast a slew of them. Then I powder coated them. Then I loaded them. Now I need to test them.

I really like the heavier 120 boolit and I make 30 cal checks so that's not an issue. The lighter boolit should shoot great in both the Carbine and the BlackHawk, I just need a range day with my brother as he has an M1 carbine and I have dad's BlackHawk. Dad has loaned me the Ruger but he's still keeping careful watch over his beloved carbine. He lets me hold it every now and then but he sure won't part with it.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Bub
    As stated in earlier posts the GC boolit (309-120-1R) is a much better performer in the M1 carbine and I highly recommend it as the boolit mold to get. But, if you really don’t want to use GC you can still have fun with the M1. I did shoot a lot of the non GC boolits (311-100-2R) with decent results of both reliability and accuracy at 50 yards (in two Inland and one Winchester M1s). This is what I used with the 311-100-2R: boolit cast from 3:1 of ww : range scrap +2% tin. Boolit sized at 0.310” and lubed with White Label 2500+. Remington brass, WSR primer, COL 1.640”. Hercules & Alliant 2400: 9.2g (1480fps), 10.2g (1701fps), 11.1g (1840fps). bearbud

Boolit Master
    IMO the 311115 from NOE will give you the best accuracy. It will require a GC for optimum accuracy. It is a great cast rifle.

Good luck

Ideal 311316 is what I've used in the past... 120 grain FN GC design - I guess in the LEE line I'd look at the C309-113F as the round nose tends to sail through critters as opposed to the flatnose that knocks 'em for a loop.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Super Moderator

The Lee 113F does not feed reliably in my M1. This is now the one I use for the cat sneeze loads in my other 30's.

That's to bad, I like a flat nose for effect on game - guess the 120 grn RN is the only option then.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast