Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need 7075 alum 1" tube source

Moderator Emeritus
    Cheese,

I wod take a couple feet too if that helps. Send me a PM of you want to add to your order

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
    I went ahead and submitted a Q request, I'll let you know what they come back with. I've always had fine luck with the large houses supplying me with small order stuff, they know I'll be back for large orders and I remember who helps me out and give them the business. I have a machine shop, if the quote they come back with is good for you I can just have them drop ship it to you.
    For a .22 you'd be fine with T6. Heck, I've used T3 for a 300 blackout build. As far as thickness goes, you're only limited by your threading - it has to be thick enough to thread. I've done a few silencer builds with aluminum, right now I'm gearing up (improving my tooling) to do a few silencer builds from titanium. I've got the material, Form1s in hand, but not all the tooling I need to do the job right.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Aircraft Spruce . . . or something like that
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Twmetals and rancocas are worth a try.

Lots of 22 tubes are 6061 T6 and the baffles are 7075 for the reasons that you are already finding out.

Just go with the 6061 and be done with it. Its more than adequate.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Lots of 22 tubes are 6061 T6 and the baffles are 7075 for the reasons that you are already finding out.

Just go with the 6061 and be done with it. Its more than adequate.
    That's what I am thinking... Getting too darn hard to find and 6061 should be satisfactory.
    I do have a few more months of waiting for my stamp to accumulate.

Boolit Master

Dumb question, but exactly why is there only one shot to build this? you have a SN and an approval, right? If it needs to be rebuilt, then with the door closed afterhours with a sold chunk of time to get what is important to get done, done... Followed by complete (complete) destruction of the old, who is to know? There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. And if we were to all judged on the letter of the law, we would all be criminals. Only the spirit of the law allows us to maintain critical thinking, morality, and ethics while remaining a law abiding citizen.

That is just my thought on the matter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Dumb question, but exactly why is there only one shot to build this? you have a SN and an approval, right? If it needs to be rebuilt, then with the door closed afterhours with a sold chunk of time to get what is important to get done, done... Followed by complete (complete) destruction of the old, who is to know? There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. And if we were to all judged on the letter of the law, we would all be criminals. Only the spirit of the law allows us to maintain critical thinking, morality, and ethics while remaining a law abiding citizen.

Well, ATF actually has conflicting letters on this. However, the prevailing "rules" are. . .

Your Form 1 is a license to make and register. It is not a license to tinker, fix, or rebuild. Only a Title II licensed manufacture may do those activities on an existing silencer. This is one of the results of the "Gemtax" controversy of 2011 (If I have the year right).

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Well, ATF actually has conflicting letters on this. However, the prevailing "rules" are. . .

Your Form 1 is a license to make and register. It is not a license to tinker, fix, or rebuild. Only a Title II licensed manufacture may do those activities on an existing silencer. This is one of the results of the "Gemtax" controversy of 2011 (If I have the year right).
    Thats how I understand it. Once the tube is made and serial numbered, thats it. Once the supressor is made thats it. I cannot fix it, modify, or replace parts since its a Form 1 build and I am not a licensed manufacturer.
    This is why I am taking the time to consider worthy materials and think it through. I also have to weigh in other factors as cost, weight, life span of the suppressor (I am only 41 years old) and my own personal machining capabilities as well.
    My form is only two months in to the ATF and I am sure I have numerous more in wait until approval (pretty confident). No need to rush into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post

My Law Enforcement career, retirement, and quality of life isn't worth the risk of $200 tax stamp and $50 in materials...

my law enforcement career, retirement, and quality of life isn't worth the risk of $200 tax stamp and $50 in materials...
    amen!

I used 6061 for the one I built. Came from Wicks, where you can buy it by the foot. It's old and has never shown any signs of stress or damage.

I received a quote from rancocasmetals.com in a timeley fashion.
    They have it, but for $150+shipping per 12 foot section. The section is cut down to two 6' lengths for UPS delivery.

Without shipping, that comes to $12.50 per foot. So with shipping, we could probably safely say at least $14 a foot.
    To large of an initial expense for me, unless I could find buyers to fullfill the other 10 feet. But then you come into trying to sell a 4' and a 6' length section and the additional added shipping on top of that, bumping it up to ~$20 per foot for shipping depending.
    Online Metals has 6061 for $5.50 a foot...

Boolit Grand Master

Try Largen Manufacturing in Creighton, Nebraska. 402-358-5141

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure your going to find 7075 in tubing, but you can get 2024 which is about 50% higher in strenght than 6061 I checked one of my old Jorgensen books and they don't even list it. Hope you are not going to do any welding on this material. Sprink

Cheese: Try Tube Sales or Tube Service in LA. They will both have what you want, and anything else you can think of as well. However expect to hear high prices as they specialize in the oddball sizes and materials.

You will run into the 12 foot minimum just about everywhere you go. No outfit is going top sell you a 1 or 2 foot piece of a specialized material unless it is a remnant, and if they won't sell less than a 12 foot section there won't be any remnants.

it would be a different story if it was 6061 which is far more common and they would be assured of selling the Rems as they appeared due to higher demand.

7075 is over kill for what you are doing anyway. 6061 would work just fine, and a lot cheaper to buy and more readily available.

Now if you were suppressing a .300 Win Mag then I could see the 7075, Anything below that and 6061 is more than adequate.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Thanks for all the help and experience guys!
    I think I may settle for 6061 for the tube. I just get anal sometimes and get hung up.

I plan on using 6061 for the tube and 7075 rod for the baffles and end cap. And maybe stainless or tool steel for the initial blast cap and muzzle threaded end cap. I can get these easily from onlinemetals.

But I still have plenty of time to keep looking.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    Thanks for all the help and experience guys!
    I think I may settle for 6061 for the tube. I just get anal sometimes and get hung up.

I plan on using 6061 for the tube and 7075 rod for the baffles and end cap. And maybe stainless or tool steel for the initial blast cap and muzzle threaded end cap. I can get these easily from onlinemetals.

But I still have plenty of time to keep looking.

I can resist no longer. How about Titanium? There's an outfit out of California that buys scrap from aerospace companies and sells it for fractions of retail. I just bought 4 feet worth (in 1 foot sections) of 1.625 diameter Grade five round stock from him for my upcoming projects.

Boolit Master
    got a link or contact info?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast