WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need 7075 alum 1" tube source

Need 7075 alum 1" tube source

Special project coming up and need to find some aluminum tubing. Google is not finding anything except for whole sale suppliers. I am sure they wont bother with my needed 2 feet unless they give out free samples.

I have searched Enco, SpeedyMetals, OnlineMetals, McMaster-Carr, and MSC no luck. Lots of 6061, but no 7075.

Needs to be: 1"OD x 0.087"ID (.065" wall thickness) aluminum 7075 tubing.

I will need 2' in either one length or two 1' sections....

I will be coming to the north Denver area at the end of January if anyone knows of any retailing metal shops....

Boolit Grand Master

Lowes menards Home depot all have aluminum racks with small length but not sure what grade it is. Other wise it will be One of the supply houses and a cut short order fee.

But what supply house?

Boolit Master

Do a search for aircraft tubing suppies. You should be able to find an aviation supplier to fill your needs. I worked for a corporate aviation repair station in Dallas for awhile after retiring from the USAF and they stocked virtually any size of tubing you could imagine. What you could find in the metal scrap bins was amazing.

wcp

Boolit Buddy
    I have a piece of 6061 that is 1 inch, and has a .022 wall thickness if that will do you any good. You can have it for nothing. Let me know. The toolman.

Perma-Banned
    not sure of the exact name & can't find my old catalog but try Dilsberg's Airplane works or whatever it's official name is in Dilsberg Pennsylvania.

Perma-Banned
    just "Binged" I & it's Dillsburg Aeroplane Works in Dillsburg PA

Boolit Master
    Google "Seedymetals"
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

I've found stuff like that on eBay before.

no luck with these guys.......Enco, SpeedyMetals, OnlineMetals, McMaster-Carr, and MSC

Still striking out...aircraft supply was a great idea, but no 7075 1" tubing. I found Dillsburg Aeroplane on facebook, but tried calling with no luck.
    I have a plea into Mack Bros suppressors in nearby Sturgis, SD for some scrap...wish me luck.

Thanks for the offer JMtoolman, but that will be too thin for me. I may have to just settle for 6061 when I order everything else from onlinemetals .

Boolit Bub
    Wicks and Aircraft Spruce are two of the biggest homebuilder aircraft suppliers and neither have 7075 tube. What is the reason for 7075 specifically in lieu of 6061 or 2024?

Strength.
    I am going to build a 22LR suppressor when my Form 1 tax stamp is approved and sent back from the ATF.
    Most silencer manufacturers go with 7075. I have researched that 2024 is strong but has some corrosion disadvantages. 6061 may suffice, but you get one chance to build after approval.
    I can always go stainless for the tube, but there is a 3 ounce addition to the weight of the suppressor.

My baffles will be 7075 as I can get round stock from online metals.

Boolit Bub
    Will you be welding this? Good finishing (paint, anodized, etc) and frequent cleaning can prevent a lot of corrosion. Stainless steel and aluminum in contact with each other can and will give you galvanic corrosion. If you use 6061 you would likely want a thicker wall tube.

No welding, just threading of the end caps. The mounting cap for the barrel will be stainless. I may anodize the baffles for fun, but the tube finish will be GunKote as I have the tooling and materials already. I can lightly spray the internal tube threads to inhibit corrosion, but wont be able to touch the middle of the inner tube. GunKote wont gunk up the threads as regular paint would.

But of course, I could always stainless and just wipe it down and never have to finish it.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like a fun project. You might try calling the following two places, I have purchased from both although it has been a few years.

Castle Metals
    316-943-0277
    Wichita, Kansas
    amcastle.com

Yard Store
    316-265-4673
    800-888-8991
    Wichita, Kansas
    Yardstore.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    no luck with these guys.......Enco, SpeedyMetals, OnlineMetals, McMaster-Carr, and MSC
    Try Texas Towers,they are an antenna and radio tower supplier.If I have a piece I will pm you
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    2024 is the next best high strength option. The 45K ultimate tensile strength of 6061T6 should be more than adequate for 22LR.
    I'm coming up with nothing for 1" 7075.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

I went ahead and submitted a Q request, I'll let you know what they come back with. I've always had fine luck with the large houses supplying me with small order stuff, they know I'll be back for large orders and I remember who helps me out and give them the business. I have a machine shop, if the quote they come back with is good for you I can just have them drop ship it to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast