WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SHOT Show Conversation > Powder Coating

Boolit Man
    Lots of good ideas in this thread. The biggest problem facing the big manufactures right now is they are running production 24-7 and cant keep up with demand. I talked to Hornadey, Nosler and Speer at Dallas Safari Club show the first part of this month. All said it was going to be a while before they got caught up. They may think something is a good idea but don’t have the capacity or inclination to implement it right now. I don't think any one will be ofering coated vers plated bullets any time soon.
    Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    Bringing "business sense" into a discussion is downright rude. Btroj, if your intent is to bash the beliefs and principles of unions and Democrats you are on a slippery slope. PC'ing bullets is a "shovel ready" business. No one can dispute the benefits and it is so simple to do. Heck man, we already have the technology!!! Bullets can be coated wet, dry or electrostatically!!! Each method needs only a bit of research become a commercial success.

You are a Republican troll making excuses for the stupidity and laziness of corporate America. The companies that used to support shooters and casters are only concerned about making easy money selling the same old technology we used 50 years ago. Dumb dinosaurs!. Anyone with half a brain sees the potential and opportunity. Look at the posts and judge for yourself.

Disgusting!

Don Verna
    Last edited by dverna; 01-28-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Love Life
    I thought sarcasm was supposed to be green?

Boolit Grand Master
    Your hat must be too tight....

Boolit Master
    You're a rookie dverna. You don't understand how its really done.

I'm going to make a solar wind powered powder coating gun, patent the technology so as to ensure I have a monopoly, and then lobby congress to ban and/or regulate all other methods of powder coating as hazardous to health and environment. Then I will develop a powder that can be encoded with a unique identifier number for each boolit. I will of course patent that also and lobby Obama to mandate by executive order that all boolits must now be manufactured with my patented powder coat system. As soon as I have received the government grant money to take my inventions into production I will sell the patent rights, hide the money off-shore, and declare bankruptcy. Screw the Democrats, the Republicans, and the citizens because I'm striking it rich crony-capitalist style!

Boolit Master
    And I, my northern hemisphere friends, shall continue to coat with good Old Aussie made HI-TEK Supercoat.
    Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Lyman doesn't need to make molds because Lee makes them cheaper. They also don't need to make furnaces because once again Lee makes them cheaper. And then they don't need to make reloading gear because guess what... Lee makes them cheaper. And then there is all the new ultrasonic cleaning stuff. Yep, I can walk into the nearest Harbor freight and buy that. And HF sells a far cheaper media tumbler that works just as well as the Lyman orange stuff. Go figure.

And yet Lyman is still around all these years later still making stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    And then there is all the new ultrasonic cleaning stuff. Yep, I can walk into the nearest Harbor freight and buy that.
    You most certainly can. And in this case it's the exact same unit for less money. You just don't get a basket with it. I get your points about competitng products at lower prices. But do you honestly think there is anyway for Lyman to make money w/ powdercoating? Why would I go to a reloading company for those products? If I was going to spend good money on the tools I would buy a well respected brand name from the automotive industry that has been producing them for decades. And let's say Lyman does put together a kit. I will bet money that you get the same tools you would if you went to Harbor Freight. At a premium price of course. That precedent has been set w/ the ultrasonic cleaner.

Boolit Master

For the same reason anyone buys brand name anything.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I like name brand Ketchup. Other than that, I'm pretty much happy with generic. I'm still waiting for WalMart to come out with "Great Value" brand pickup trucks, but I'll buy one from HF or Lyman if the price is right.

'sorry, I may be close to treading on the edge of , if that's possible.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    For the same reason anyone buys brand name anything.

How many here will pay 20 bucks a pound for Lyman powder instead of getting powder from HF or online for half the cost?

If this is such a great idea then start up a business! Get rich!

Boolit Master
    Uh, is this powder guaranteed to be non-abrasive to rifled barrels? Specially formulated for better adhesion to lead? Might be worth the higher price.

Boolit Grand Master
    Someone will have to do that testing, won't they? Now that won't be cheap.......

Boolit Grand Master

Something tells me Lyman would not be making it themselves. It would just be rebranded powder at a higher cost. So why not buy from the real manufacturer at a lower price? Seems that some of you guys like making things harder, and more expensive, then they need to be.

Banned

ditto: smokesahoy

Boolit Master

Why does Lyman offer media when I can buy the 50# sack delivered to my door for the same price. I dunno, ask Lyman. I assume they know something I don't.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I thought sarcasm was supposed to be green?
    Pink for some.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    How many here will pay 20 bucks a pound for Lyman powder instead of getting powder from HF or online for half the cost?
    The same number that buy from PbtP instead of HF

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    The PC market is a small fraction of this board which is a small fraction of casters.
    ...which is a small fraction of reloaders, which is a small fraction of shooters.

Boolit Master
    There may not be a market for Lyman, but there would be profit available for a small business to test powders for long-term safety (which I've already described one effective method), then buy in bulk and sell by the pound relabled for $20/lb.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast