Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SHOT Show Conversation > Powder Coating

Boolit Buddy
    Don,

I still think you're missing the point. On my site, I state the following

This product allows use of cast lead bullets in both pistol and rifle velocities without leading of your barrel. Shooters have been reporting usage of the coating at .223-5.56 velocities. We recommend if you are using our lead cast bullets or purchasing our coating for use in any pistol or rifle application, you should start with the lowest possible load and gradually work your load to the desired velocity or pressure, and check for leading after each shot.

I state nothing about accuracy and I state only that is stops leading. I have talked to shooters that have used it at 223-5.56. What's the velocity of lead 223? 2300-2500 fps

I SAY NOTHING ABOUT ACCURACY! HI-TEK IS A PISTOL LUBE THAT SOME HAVE TRIED IN RIFLES!
    Gatewaybullets.com

I buy lead, cast, coat & shoot. I don't buy commercial anymore. It works for me, if it didn't I move on to something else. If a commercial outfit can make Twinkies, they can make coated bullets, it's not rocket science + I DON'T CARE. Next chore is to design a rifle bullet for coating and see how fast I can push it (accurately) without a check. If I can get MOA @ 2000 fps, I'm happy.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Ausglock!! PM sent.

Look forward to working with you.

Don Verna

Boolit Master

Funny how threads where people are doing something new always tend to bring out detractors that don't seem to be able to spend the time to give it a try. And then it's even more funny when there has to be that one or two chosen few that just have to make the most amount of noise they can to decry that new thing as being pointless when there are enough already posting positive results. But you know what... IT doesn't bother me because I'm pretty pleased at this point with how easy it is to tumble some bullets in powder, pour them into a tray for baking, and if needed repeat the process again. With such little hands on time needed it frees me up from the bench. Any yes all the pistol testing is coming along quite well. I admit to slacking on the rifle testing as it seems most of my bullet molds for rifle bullets are ill suited for accuracy testing that people want to see. I doubt anyone wants to see how well a Marlin can be made to shoot when people demand bolt action benchrest quality testing to be done.

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't tried powder coating and probably never will. For handgun use I find the Hi-Tek coating to be very satisfactory.
    I don't want to deal with a coating system that requires standing each bullet up and then handling the tray gently. Just doesn't for my style.

Using your logic it is amazing to some of us with many decades of experience that every year some small group comes along with the latest, greatest whatever who is going to teach all of us fogies how it is done.

I never said powder coating wasn't viable, I said it wasn't something I foresee being a money maker for a company like Lyman. That opinion has not changed. There just isn't a big enough market for powder coating and what market there is can be supplied easily by existing companies like Harbor Freight. If you think Lyman can undercut HF on cost then you are delusional. How many here will spend twice the money for a Lyman PC gun when they can get one from HF?

Again, just because a group of people is using a system doesn't make it commercially viable. Ever wonder why an American company doesn't make a 2 part system like Hi-Tek? Maybe it has to do with a lack of a large enough market to justify the RD expense.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    for many its just the 9-5. they have other hobbies.

whats cool about this place is most people think of their hobby much more than they think about their job. much better knowledge.
    They do it for it's their job.

We do because we are amateurs (French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") and many of us love the casting game.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I haven't tried powder coating and probably never will. For handgun use I find the Hi-Tek coating to be very satisfactory.
    I don't want to deal with a coating system that requires standing each bullet up and then handling the tray gently. Just doesn't for my style.

Using your logic it is amazing to some of us with many decades of experience that every year some small group comes along with the latest, greatest whatever who is going to teach all of us fogies how it is done.

I never said powder coating wasn't viable, I said it wasn't something I foresee being a money maker for a company like Lyman. That opinion has not changed. There just isn't a big enough market for powder coating and what market there is can be supplied easily by existing companies like Harbor Freight. If you think Lyman can undercut HF on cost then you are delusional. How many here will spend twice the money for a Lyman PC gun when they can get one from HF?

Again, just because a group of people is using a system doesn't make it commercially viable. Ever wonder why an American company doesn't make a 2 part system like Hi-Tek? Maybe it has to do with a lack of a large enough market to justify the RD expense.
    I keep seeing this comment but it's not actually true. I PC my bullets and just drop them on a wire mesh to bake, no standing up. Pretty much like HiTeck spread on wire mesh and bake repeat and done.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
    I keep seeing this comment but it's not actually true. I PC my bullets and just drop them on a wire mesh to bake, no standing up. Pretty much like HiTeck spread on wire mesh and bake repeat and done.
    Thank you. I hope you said it better than I did.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
    So you are using a solvent and tumbling them? Not using a powder coat gun?

Boolit Buddy
    Correct. Powder coat with a solvent, tumble for a min or so solvent evaporates and leave a powder coating on bullet which is then baked.

Boolit Grand Master
    Then what, exactly, is a company like Lyman supposed to sell? Powder when it is 5 to 10 bucks a pound? Ovens?

The OP was about Lyman not seeming interested in making a similar product. What are they supposed to market?

Boolit Buddy
    My response was to your comment about having to stand the bullet up etc...
    As to what they want to market that would be something that Lyman would have to think up.
    Off the top of my head, tumbler, ovens, an improved method of suspending the PC in a solvent, there is also a technique that is used where the PC is added to a tumbler and the bullet are tumbled dry, no suspension liquid, again a special tumbler, bulllet molds without the lubing groves, etc...

Boolit Master
    Then what, exactly, is a company like Lyman supposed to sell? Powder when it is 5 to 10 bucks a pound? Ovens?

The OP was about Lyman not seeming interested in making a similar product. What are they supposed to market?
    Molds without lube grooves? They seem to have the undersized boolit mold thing down for P/C already.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yes, thanks to PC, it is easier to make use all of those "U" stamped molds that are out there!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok, let me get this straight.

Powder coating can be applied by PC gun, dry tumbling, tumbling with a solvent. The tumbling can be in a rotary tumbler, vibratory tumbler, or in a simple bucket.

Powder used can be any one of dozens of colors.

Ovens are generally purchased used or are inexpensive to purchase at Walmart.

How, precisely, is Lyman going to make money on this? Supporting a coating method that is actually a bunch of methods? Competing with Harbor Freight on powder and PC guns? Heck, they make vibratory tumblers already.

You guys obviously have no business sense. Just because YOU want it doesn't mean it is financially sound.

Love Life
    The most important question in this thread was post number 10...

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    At this point..... ^^^^ AGREED!!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The most important question in this thread was post number 10...

Well?

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, let me get this straight.

Powder coating can be applied by PC gun, dry tumbling, tumbling with a solvent. The tumbling can be in a rotary tumbler, vibratory tumbler, or in a simple bucket.

Powder used can be any one of dozens of colors.

Ovens are generally purchased used or are inexpensive to purchase at Walmart.

How, precisely, is Lyman going to make money on this? Supporting a coating method that is actually a bunch of methods? Competing with Harbor Freight on powder and PC guns? Heck, they make vibratory tumblers already.

You guys obviously have no business sense. Just because YOU want it doesn't mean it is financially sound.
    So basically since it's not HiTech, which you seem to promote very well, it's not worth your idea of Lyman's time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Am I saying hi-Tek coating needs to be made, or duplicates, by Lyman? Nope. Current source is fine, not worth the cost for Lyman to develop/mimic.

It isn't worth Lyman's time because it isn't worth their time! It won't generate enough income to justify the R&D costs, marketing costs, productions costs, etc.

The PC market is a small fraction of this board which is a small fraction of casters.

Lyman needs to generate tens of thousands of dollars in NET income from this, they would be lucky to get thousands in SALES!

Basic economics guys. Business is in business to make money, not provide services on a whim from some customers.

When you guys show me a number of commercial casters who use PC or reviews in a magazine I might buy it. I don't see that.

Hi-Tek is here because it came from OZ. It sounds like it is widely used there. It was probably developed by a coatings guy who happened to be a shooter. Small scale business targeted to a small crowd. That business model works well for stuff like this.

If it is such a great business opportunity why don't some of you guys jump in and get rich?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast