WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: I'm Here

I'm Here

I just got in from casting a mess of Ideal 225415 for my k-Hornet. Normally I cast until my back hurts so much I can't concentrate, or cast safely. Today I managed to about 125 bullets. Still not much of a pile, with 50 grain bullets.

God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Those lil 22's are a PITA but classy. I have owned and sold two 22 molds now,,a RCBS and a Lyman. My smallest cal is a 6mm and so far I have no desire to submit to smaller cals. My fingers have a tough enough time with them !

45 Nut

Somewhat of a pain, most definitely a challenge.

I cast my 92-6-2 alloy from a Lee 4 pound pot, I don’t add ingots too often. I have to do the visual check under a strong lamp. And sit the gas checks on the loading bench to seat. Some of the gas checks don’t stay attached on the trip to the sizer, I figure those boolits should be in the cull pile due to undersize shanks.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master

One thing that nice about the .22's, you don't empty the pot fast like the 400 grain .45's. It seems like I'm always putting ingots in.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

I don't think I have the patience to cast them really tiny .22's. I've got one of those old (cheap) Navy Arms "Baby Rolling Block" in .22 Hornet. Almost a "Boys" size, but that thing never seemed to want to put any 2 holes in close proximity with FLGC stuff. I don't know, maybe it needs to shoot some of the real stuff.

I do admit to having one 243 mould and will at least try using it, but I even have trouble with the .25 caliber size.

But I do have inspiration for those .25's and larger. Those are what I'll be working with at first.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master
    I havent tryed anything smaller than a .270 but I am thinking on the .243 win. I bet it takes 4 ever to heat up the mold with the 22 cal. ...buck

I cast both .22 cal(RCBS-58 grainer)and 6mm(RCBS-95 grainer). Within a very few rejects mold is warmed and I'm on my way. I do use a Lee bottom pour and hold the mold to the nozzle. This only gives a pin head size sprue and it often sticks. Sometimes I do hold it a little ways from the nozzle to build up a bigger sprue--which does come right off,but its debatable if thats easier or giving the pin head one a touch to remove. I dont recall that I ever tried these sizes with my laddle. I kept hearing you need to add tin to get good mold fill out. I bought some solder just for the tin. I couldnt tell any difference. That solder is the only casting material I have ever bought in 38 years of casting. I size both of these in my RCBS luber and usually use gas checks. I use FWFL. Have shot the .22's without gas checks and results were such I had to ask myself why bother with the gas check? I cant get the .22's to shoot in my .223 but in my .222's and 22-250 they do fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buck1
    I havent tryed anything smaller than a .270 but I am thinking on the .243 win. I bet it takes 4 ever to heat up the mold with the 22 cal. ...buck
    I used to think the same way, I use the lyman 225438 and fill it with a Rowell ladle, I do nothing different from my larger molds and with a alloy temp of 650* it cast's easy with WW +1.5% tin. It's all in the wrist !

Generous Donator

Try casting 225107 and 225415 HP's if you want some fun. They are even more of a pita to cast. Reject rate is real high if you don't keep the HP pins hot. I get 40-60 keepers an hour normally. Sometimes a little higher. Mark