Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. Hawken style rifle

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMtoolman View Post
    Waksupi, that name is sure familiar, I think John was into Indian stuff then, man that was about 40 years ago, and my memory is starting to fade. I did get a number of the barrles from Lin Wymer, one of them is the twin of the one made for John Amber for the Ruger long range single shot on the cover of gun digest. I tried to get it from John when the shop was working, but he wanted it for himself. He made two for the Ruger single shot, in case he screwed one up he had another to fall back on, for it was a rush order to get the gun done for the cover of the "Gun Digest". It is the yellow cover with the engraved Ruger single shot. Both came out great, so the second one wasn't used. Lin later on got it as part of the back wages when Sharon went bankrupt. I pestered Lin for five or six years until he relented and sold it to me. I used it to make a copy of a Henry long range rifle for thousand yard muzzle loading shooting. A friend of mine had it for many years and it went overseas to the international matches, and to Africa hunting several times. He won a gold medal at a thousand yards with it. He returned it to me after 30 years, as he is in very bad health. So I own the barrel, (and rifle) for the second time in 30 years. Best regards, the toolman.
    Yes, John is a buckskinner, we belong to the same group, and see each other a couple times a month.
    I have one of Lin's barrels on my Alexander Henry English sporting rifle. I believe it is the last barrel he made. After his wife died, he lost interest in a lot of things he had done before.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Tell John hi for me the next time you see him. Best regards, John the toolman.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the great responses. Now I really feel like I made the right decision to acquire this rifle.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifles. They always had a good reputation for being fairly HC to original Hawken design and usually shot well to boot. The rifle pictured does look like it was put together from a kit. A few mistakes and yaw, yaws visible but overall looks OK. How it shoots depends on the bore condition, loads and the shooter.

I have a T/C hawken .45 cal bought in early 70's how would I know if my barrel is a Sharon serial number is five digit's. Thanks Five digit serial number
    Last edited by Nikkisdad; 02-15-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Additional info

Boolit Buddy
    Sharon made the barrels for the early Shiloh Sharps 1863's during the early Farmingdale days. I'm not sure when Wolf Droege started his own barrel making, but I distinctly remember that Sharon made the early barrels. Maybe the first few years (??)
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Master
    What price range do these guns run? Kinda makes you wanna save up and do more looking!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Sharon has been out of business for at least 30 years.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    I also have one of these rifles, acquired in 1976. I think it is a 1-66 twist. It shoots a patched .530 round ball with 110g to 120g of 2F absolutely perfectly. If there is error, it is me.
    I have harvested several elk and deer over the years and after a long "drought" plan on another successful hunt this year. Problem..I have lost one of the wedge keys. Does anyone out there know where I can obtain one?

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    I also have one of these rifles, acquired in 1976. I think it is a 1-66 twist. It shoots a patched .530 round ball with 110g to 120g of 2F absolutely perfectly. If there is error, it is me.
    I have harvested several elk and deer over the years and after a long "drought" plan on another successful hunt this year. Problem..I have lost one of the wedge keys. Does anyone out there know where I can obtain one?
    Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, several dozen other vendors.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I may be mistaken - and if so - please correct me. I'm thinking that Track of the Wolf sold some of these kits in the early 80's? I bought one and put it together - identical to the OPs - which is a very nice rifle. Mine was 54 and one of the best shooting rifles I have ever owned - I just couldn't miss with it. I can remember running the primitive course at Friendship where you had to start a fire with flint and steel, throw a hawk and take several shots. I was using my rifle like this for the first time. One of the shots was at a kitchen match - I took the head right off of it and then another shot was splitting the ball on an axe head - I lucked out and split it and broke both targets on each side - all "beginner's luck". I ended up selling the rifle a few years ago and have regretted it since. It was the only gun that I never built from scratch but it was certainly a nice quality kit - great barrel, great wood and great fit. They just don't make quality kits like it anymore.

Boolit Mold
    That Sir! is indeed a nice looking Hawken Rifle! Is definitely a keeper. I am sure she will shoot as good as she looks! Respectfully. cowboys1062.

Boolit Man
    I got several of those Sharon barrels in '78 or'79 while attending gunsmith school in Trinidad.I built a Leman style rifle and it was deadly. I gave it to my son a few years ago and he's also deadly with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hello everyone. I came across this thread while searching the net and I have a question regarding a Hal Sharon 54 caliber rifle I have. I am wondering if my rifle is a kit rifle or if it would have been factory made as it has no serial number anywhere. I was told once that the kit rifles all had serial numbers but not the factory assembled rifles. I was just wondering if there is merit to this or not?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BPJONES View Post
    Hello everyone. I came across this thread while searching the net and I have a question regarding a Hal Sharon 54 caliber rifle I have. I am wondering if my rifle is a kit rifle or if it would have been factory made as it has no serial number anywhere. I was told once that the kit rifles all had serial numbers but not the factory assembled rifles. I was just wondering if there is merit to this or not?
    I have a Sharon Kit rifle from the early 70's and there is no serial number on it. This sample of one would say "no" to the serial numbers.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Sharon has been out of business for at least 30 years.
    I believe it was 1984 when Jerry Cunningham came to Friendship with most of the remaining parts stock from Sharon; I bought a stock, breached barrel, lock, and assorted other parts at that time. Still have them and still not put together!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Mold

JMtoolman-Sharon Hawken Builds

Quote Originally Posted by JMtoolman View Post
    I wonder if that rifle might be one I made. I was working for Hall Sharon at the time, I was hired for a few months to set up a line of building the kits for sale. After about six months of work, and about a dozen rifle that I built, I realized that they were going bankrupt. I changed jobs by moving out of Montana. I always wondered where the rifles that I built ended up. John and Lin were good people that I lost track of over the years. The toolman.
    Hello sir,
    I have a .54 Hawken with Sharon Riffle Barrel barrel. The stock (half stock) looks correct but the hardware is brass. Also, the stock is heavily carved, the brass engraved, and has gold inlays. Would you happen to know of any examples of this description. It was purchased in a bank auction in Northern Colorado in 1980-81.
    Many thanks for your time and contribution over the years to the history of our sport.

Boolit Master
    Dang after reading this thread I thought I was the only old guy here. I feel much better now, Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Back around 1976-77 I bought .40 cal. 42" from Dixie Gun Works, it was marked Sharon. From the best I can tell it is a 1-72 twist. It does better with heaver charges but still killed a bunch of tree rats with a 38 Spcl case full of Gearhart- Owens FFF. It was the first rifle I built and I made every mistake you can think of including way too much wood left. That said it is breached properly and put together solid and I learned a lot.

Dave

from the Gun Values Board - "#4Suzy Brownfield3 years ago
    I worked for Sharon rifle barrel in 1976 and did all the browning and finish work on them. Worked with Larry Zoren. He helped me build my 54 caliber. So is this, did you work in the barn? Suzy"
    LongJnSilver
    John Wade Long, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12