Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. Hawken style rifle

Boolit Man

Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. Hawken style rifle

This came today. It is a Hawken repro in .54. Curly maple stack with pewter forend cap. It was made from a kit by the now defunct Sharon Rifle Barrel Company. Back in the 1970's and 80's Sharon barrels were considered quite good.

Very nice.

Perm-Banned
    what twist does it have?

Boolit Master

itlook,s like it,s got a lot of lyman gpr in it.

Boolit Bub
    Nice looking Rifle. Thanks for the pictures.

Perma-Banned

I like the browned lock you do not see them like that very often

Boolit Master

Gorgeous.

Boolit Master

Love that browning on the lock and barrel, escutchens, etc.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I think most of the larger bore barrels from there were 1-72, although they did make some faster twists. Jerry Cunningham and Harrison Weimer were the barrel smiths. I always enjoyed going in and shooting the bull with Jerry, Harrison was pretty quiet most of the time.
    Oops! Forgot, Jerry's wife also worked there, making barrels.

Harrison would usually make a trip to Friendship once a year, with a small trailer with reject barrels, that he sold at a big discount. Many of the top shooters were buying them, building rifles, and winning. I've never seen one of their barrels that won't shoot.
    Last edited by waksupi; 01-15-2014 at 02:04 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Fine Job ! Nice pictures

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if that rifle might be one I made. I was working for Hall Sharon at the time, I was hired for a few months to set up a line of building the kits for sale. After about six months of work, and about a dozen rifle that I built, I realized that they were going bankrupt. I changed jobs by moving out of Montana. I always wondered where the rifles that I built ended up. John and Lin were good people that I lost track of over the years. The toolman.

Banned

WOW I have a rifle 54cal from 1977 that is almost identical to yours!

Boolit Master
    That's a nice gun. A guy showed up with one at the rondy last October.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMtoolman View Post
    I wonder if that rifle might be one I made. I was working for Hall Sharon at the time, I was hired for a few months to set up a line of building the kits for sale. After about six months of work, and about a dozen rifle that I built, I realized that they were going bankrupt. I changed jobs by moving out of Montana. I always wondered where the rifles that I built ended up. John and Lin were good people that I lost track of over the years. The toolman.
    You may know John Hyslip then. I saw one of the rifles he built for Sharon at the gun show last weekend.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

(drool!) PRETTY!!!! (drool!)

Beautiful Rifle! Hope it shoots as good as it looks!.....john
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Don't Ya Jest Love the Smell of Rotten Agg's!!

Boolit Buddy
    Waksupi, that name is sure familiar, I think John was into Indian stuff then, man that was about 40 years ago, and my memory is starting to fade. I did get a number of the barrles from Lin Wymer, one of them is the twin of the one made for John Amber for the Ruger long range single shot on the cover of gun digest. I tried to get it from John when the shop was working, but he wanted it for himself. He made two for the Ruger single shot, in case he screwed one up he had another to fall back on, for it was a rush order to get the gun done for the cover of the "Gun Digest". It is the yellow cover with the engraved Ruger single shot. Both came out great, so the second one wasn't used. Lin later on got it as part of the back wages when Sharon went bankrupt. I pestered Lin for five or six years until he relented and sold it to me. I used it to make a copy of a Henry long range rifle for thousand yard muzzle loading shooting. A friend of mine had it for many years and it went overseas to the international matches, and to Africa hunting several times. He won a gold medal at a thousand yards with it. He returned it to me after 30 years, as he is in very bad health. So I own the barrel, (and rifle) for the second time in 30 years. Best regards, the toolman.

Boolit Buddy

I had "2" Sharon kits back in the mid 70's, a .62 cal Full stock Hawken and a .54 cal half Stock Hawken. A very good friend and BP shooter, who was also a great custom builder assembled both rifles for me. Loved shooting both rifles, especially that .62. My friende was at least 10 yr older then me and was feeling he couldn't handle his custom .50 cal Flint Hawken so we conducted a trade his Flinter for my 2 Sharons. I went on to win many matches wit the .50 flinter too! This was all down in San Antonio area and I finally moved away to God;s country (Montana) . I lost touch with my friend thru the years, his initials was R U. A gentleman of about 5' 9" medium build. The above Half stock looks so much like the one he built for me from the Sharon kit!
    " I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley

That one looks just like the one I have had in my safe for the last 20 years or so never have shot it. 54 caliber also.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

I have had one of these kits for the last 15 or so years, and finally this winter it is being built. Half stock .58, but a walnut stock. It is going to be my next favorite, fired 5 shots at 30 yards in the snow last week, only 2 holes in the paper, I pulled off on the second shot. Still only have 4 coats of finish on the wood, and did not start the browning yet. Yes very nice barrel.
    Regards Camotes2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast