Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Press

New Press

"She who knows best", just bought me a RCBS Rock Chuker Supreme press. Got it at Cabellas great price. The press is larger than my old Rock Chucker I sold years ago. Seem to be built as strong or stronger BUT I have to say who ever designed the priming method on this press must have been on Crack with a stale can of warm Miller in his hand. RCBS you go from a very simple straight forward priming system that worked great on the old Rock Chucker to this! Obviously speed, convenience and ease of operaton were low on somebody's check list.

Am I wrong on the priming method on this press? Thoughts?

Well I intend to size all my rifle brass on this press and that will be pretty much it. I can then set up my Dillon to bell, prime the case in Station 1, powder in 2, seater in 3 and crimp tool in four. Should work just great. I know about the hand seating tool but prefer to use my presses.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    I've always used the RCBS Automatic Priming Tool with my single stage presses. I prefer it to the hand priming tools. Works fast and reliably. I let the press do everything else but the priming. All my progressives are Dillons, so primer feed can be a little tricky on the 550 but the big 1050 has been a dream for primer feeding and reliability.

Boolit Bub
    The very first time I reloaded I used the priming system mounted on the press, after that I bought a Lee hand primer and after about 3 shipments from Lee to make it work I have never primed on a press since with the excepting of using my Piggyback.

I've never used the RCBS press based primer system, just didn't like it so I've used hand held primer tools. I haven't tried the ASP system though. IMO the RockChucker is and always has been in a class by itself. It's that good. Mine is at least 37 years old and still with me.

Creekwalker

shotstring - The Supreme Press apparently can't be used with the RCBS Automatic Priming Tool. When I had the old Rockchucker Press I used the auto priming tool that came with the press. It was easy to use. The new press requires the dexterity of a watch maker. I suppose it is a way for RCBS to sell their hand priming tool. I intend to use the Supreme Press to re-size my cases and I'll prime and bell my cases on my Dillon 550 in Stage 1.

creekwalker - If ever we meet you have my permission to kick my in the butt for being so stupid as to sell my old Rockchucker.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Have the RCBS standard priming tool bolted to my bench in conjunction with my Rockchucker. The priming tool is simple, inexpensive, and sensitive enough to feel the primers bottom. Works even smoother with a light coat of grease on the cam. Priming is done with a downstroke on the handle which is a natural motion for most of us. Enjoy your new press, it's a "keeper".

Banned

never liked any priming system that came on a single stage press. Most of them you have to handle primers buy hand and i dont like touching primers. Probably doesnt hurt them but ive allways worried about contaminating them.

If I am priming on one of my single stage presses, I usually use a Lee Ram prime. It works feel and has a good feel to it. It's a one primer at a time system, but I can actually go pretty quickly with it. For the most part I just use the single stage presses for decapping. Once my brass is prepped I use the Dillons for everything else (Except for some of my Rifle loads)
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    I still favor the RCBS hand-held primer system, has the little round plastic primer pattie that feeds to the aluminum squeezer...works great and fast for me.

Sometimes I use my AA Lyman press, or the C-H 4-die station to do a few primer jobs.

Jim

I have several priming units and like my Lee Autoprime hand priming tool the best, no tubes to fill just dump the primers in the tray give it a shake and go.

tom

In Remembrance

I do most of my priming on my Lee Classic cast turret press with the safety prime. It is about as fast as the auto prime handheld, with all the leverage you can possibly use. Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    I do most of my priming on my Lee Classic cast turret press with the safety prime. It is about as fast as the auto prime handheld, with all the leverage you can possibly use. Dale
    I agree.

I have the safety prime on my Lee Classic Turret & it works perfectly.

Boolit Mold
    I usually use a Lee Ram prime.
    When I started handloading 10-ish years ago I started with a Lyman ram prime die. Switching from one size primer to the other was a true PITA, so I got a second. Lately I"ve gotten RCBS' unit, which I like better.

Don't much care for the Lee -- primer seating has to be by feel, because there's not enough length on the body to put a lock ring on, so you can adjust the primer seating to exactly where you want it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi

You are not the only one that thinks they took a step backwards with the "improved" setup.

These days I hand prime while I watch TV.

Bob

Boolit Master

I first "match" condition each and every round I reload. I tumble the brass. I uniform the flash hole, I uniform the primer pocket, I size the case, I trim it to length, I champher the mouth inside and out. I tumble the brass again-to remove the polish material with dry media. I then sit down to a good football or baseball game with a RCBS hand Prime tool, the old one, a supply of the correct primers and proceed to prime brass while enjoying a ball game. I thought that was why they put ball games on television. I know that everybody doesn't go to the extremes that I do but loading is a hobby to me as well as shooting, so I enjoy it. I still have my old RCBS rockchucker and a Dillion 550 but rarely us the priming system on a press. I want to "feel" the primer when it seats firmly against the bottom of the primer pocket. I also have a C-H "H" press(the old 3 station press), an old C-H "C" press, and a Dillion Square deal press. I haven't even looked at the new RCBS Supreme press as yet.
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 12-21-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Moderator Emeritus
    RCBS do an auto prime unit for the supreme for $40 US.

I haven't used it but it looks very like the Redding unit that I have on my T7 Turret.

Although I am big fan of off press priming, I do use the Redding one more and more if I'm using that press. It is good and filling the tubes doesn't take that long that its a bother.

Link to the RCBS unit here:

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/,Da...&route=C06J030

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Hi

When I try the link you provided all that happens is that smoke starts coming out of the RCBS web server.

There are a couple of tube based primer kits for the RCBS. The one they had on the old ones was better than what they have today.

Bob

Ah, see that. There goes another $40.00. RCBS can't ship direct to
    Canada so I will have to go through Cabellas.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

Cool Dillon's 550 works for me~all the time

I was using a Lee Loadmaster when I was a newbie....it stunk@! I junked it. A good friend gave up on reloading and gave me his Dillon 550 with all the goodies. Once I figured out that I needed a need primer feed tube and some other smallish parts (Great customer service from Dillon's) I got it up and running.

Now I always prime with the 550. I can make 600 rounds an hour with 9 MM and maybe 500 with .45 LC and .45 ACP's. I have the casefeeder and I load up 4 primer tubes, keep a good supply of loadable cases handy, fill the powder measure and pile up a decent supply of boolits to the left and I am off to town.

If I keep the danged thing clean and lubed right it will do it's part. I get into a rythem and just keep on cranking them out. The akro bin fills real fast and my Browning 35 loves those Lee Truncated Cone TL boolits!~

The priming stroke is up with the Dillon and I get good feel for the seating of the primer. I used to have a problem with crimped military primer pockets but since I now cull those out and run them thru a Dillon Swager it is not a problem any more.

That is a must for .223 cases which I find all over. I also use the Dillon 550 for this but at a much slower pace. I spend more time prepping the cases on the .223 with cleaning primer pockets, checking length of cases, inspections, swaging military crimped pockets and such. However it is a lot faster than a single stage press.

I even run my 8 x 57 Mauser rounds through the Dillon. The only rounds that I use a single stage press for are .380 ACP as the powder charge is so light and the AOL so critical that I do them kinda careful and slow. I am shooting them in a LLAMA blowback (looks like a mini .45 ACP) and I do not trust the soft steels used in this older design and since I can't depend on finding parts for it...I treat it gently.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

My primary reason for the RCBS was to do some of the prep work away from the Dillon 550 so when I start a run of .303 Brit I go with the Lee Expander die in Stage 1. I shoot lead exclusivley in all my rifles so now I do my sizing on my RCBS and soon will remive mil crimps etc using the RCBS as well. May as well get that priming tool for the RCBS and take another step away from the Dillon. We shall see.

Take Care

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast