RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&R .357 and .44mag

Boolit Master

I had my son's 223 SLW Youth fitted for a 357 "Talo" 18" barrel with iron sights. Got it back two days ago and was very disappointed. Its not tapered, it just like the 22", just cut down. He wasn't impressed and neither was I. Costed $222 round trip for one barrel. Should have put that into a 357 lever for him instead.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

That stinks. U were disappointed in the accuracy? Mine is supposed to be $150ish. The barrel itself is $104

here's a pic of my 44mag

Try 200-250g cast bullets in the 357.the rcbs 200 fn and lyman 358318 are two good ones.they have long leads and will shoot them very well.groups of 1.5-2" at 100 are common.every so often you can get 1" for 5 at 100.

George
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by .429 View Post
    That stinks. U were disappointed in the accuracy? Mine is supposed to be $150ish. The barrel itself is $104
    His barrel was $146. But with the $25 barrel fitting fee and $19 for shipping back and $10 for taxes, it added up quickly.
    I shot some 150 and 140 grain SWCs out of it. Trigger (an issue that still POed me) was heavy but got decent groups at 50 yards.
    Just clunky and not "Handi" at all.
    Jerry

The .357 is not fun to tote around. I too feel the 22" barrel is too heavy.

It does shoot well for me with 6.5 grains of HS-6 under the Lee 158 grain T/L boolit.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    The .357 is not fun to tote around. I too feel the 22" barrel is too heavy.

It does shoot well for me with 6.5 grains of HS-6 under the Lee 158 grain T/L boolit.

I trimmed mine back to 16.5". A big improvement In handling and weight. It still shoots under 2 MOA.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Ed Shot-

was this with magnum brass os 38 special brass ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    Got the grandsons an H&R 20 ga. a couple of years ago. Had the LOP reduced to 12.5" for them. Recently sent it back to H&R for a .357 barrel and was afraid I'd have to get a longer stock for the scope but a 4X with high rings works perfectly. It will shoot cloverleafs with the Lee 358-158-RF or Lyman 358156 over Red Dot 5.0 gr. Great fun for the kids.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master
    I was just on the H&R web site and did not see any 357 or 44 rifles offered. Did I just miss it. I'm getting kind of interested in one in 357.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I had my son's 223 SLW Youth fitted for a 357 "Talo" 18" barrel with iron sights. Got it back two days ago and was very disappointed. Its not tapered, it just like the 22", just cut down. He wasn't impressed and neither was I. Costed $222 round trip for one barrel. Should have put that into a 357 lever for him instead.

Jerry
    I'd be contacting the seller and asking why she/he ripped you off.

and then I'd ask for my money back.

if my money didn't come back, I'd be posting on every forum I know of that she/he sells on, and let them all know that this ripoff artist has ZERO integrity
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

Nanuk,
    I did contact H&R and the person that was responsible for the fitting. H&R said basicly tuff luck, after two hours on the phone. The gunsmith refuses to answer my emails.

I did post over at GrayBeard's forum, but got the cold shoulder and a few nasty personal messages for being "negative" about the wonder weapon known as the Handi Rifle.

But I did sell the rifle and got majority of my money back. And that is going to a Henry!

Boolit Master
    Anybody thinking about buying a 44 mag barrel for their Handi Rifle should read this writeup by Beagle where he discusses his experience with the slow twist barrel that usually comes with these rifles (H&R barrels have a 38 twist): http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByC...um%20Rifle.pdf
    I have had reasonable success with mine, I shoot mostly jacketed hot loads which group about 1 1/2 at 50 yards with a scope. With cast the short Lee 190-grainer does OK, cast very hard and seated over a max charge of Win 296. Same groups.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    I was just on the H&R web site and did not see any 357 or 44 rifles offered. Did I just miss it. I'm getting kind of interested in one in 357.
    It's called the Barrel Accessory Program and you find it here: http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12